I hate when folk assume you're an idiot. - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I hate when folk assume you're an idiot.

So I'm researching some stuff regarding the line of supply for weapons into Syria.

I'm reading a Seymour Hersch article and also a letter sent in later to rebuff Hersch's article, the letter is written by 4 academics, one of which works at Edinburgh University apparently as a shill.

It's a long article which i won't reproduce but here is an extract from the rebuttal. I'll highlight what i'm talking about.

" If we extract the core of Seymour Hersh’s article from the story of dark doings in the US military we find yet another plea for embracing the Assad regime as a ‘lesser evil’ (LRB, 7 January). We will point out just two of the egregious factual errors in Hersh’s account. First, he repeats the myth about weapons supplied to the FSA being passed on to IS; his source for this is IS itself, relayed by the German journalist Jürgen Todenhöfer, who wasn’t proved right over the 2012 Houla massacre. Hersh accepts what he has to say without question. As it happens there is hard intelligence on this matter. Conflict Armament Research has carried out an analysis of the weapons captured from IS by the YPG in Koban and northern Iraq which shows that IS’s stock of weapons is overwhelmingly made up of arms captured from the Syrian and Iraqi armies."

Before i move to the bold look at the sophistry used against the source, he wasn't right about (note not wrong,) an unstated incident in Houla, so how can he be right here. That bit of sophistry got me suspicious so by the time i got to the other claims later i was skeptical.

So i decided to access Conflict Armament Research and see what they said about the arms and the stock is "overwhelmingly" made up of captured arms from Syrian and Iraqi armies

Conflict Armament Research
Analysis of weapons and ammunition captured from Islamic State forces in Iraq and Syria
KEY FINDINGS
ANTI-TANK ROCKETS
M79 90 mm anti-tank rockets captured from
IS forces in Syria are identical to M79 rockets
transferred by Saudi Arabia to forces operating
under the ‘Free Syrian Army’ umbrella in 2013.
US-MANUFACTURED WEAPONS ON THE
BATTLEFIELD
Islamic State forces have captured significant
quantities of US-manufactured small arms and
have employed hem on the battlefield.

Why are they writing into the paper as a 4some and lying?
Edited by phart

Dr Thomas Pierret is the name of the academic working in Scotland.

" Over the last two years, Dr Thomas Pierret's comments on the Syrian crisis have been featured on more than three hundred occasions in dozens of media outlets from thirty-four different countries. These outlets include the BBC, The Financial Times, The Guardian, the New York Times, Le Monde, Agence France Presse, France 24, Deutsche Welle, Al Jazeera English, and the Voice of Russia. "

and he is on TV all the time it seems talking about Syria on Western News Services (english)

Edited by phart

letter and subsequent rebuttals to Hersch's letter.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v38/n01/seymour-m-hersh/military-to-military

It's crazy that this person states Hersch "repeats the myth about weapons supplied to the FSA being passed on to IS" then cites "hard evidence" presumably assuming no one would check (even though as an academic his entire existence should be dedicated to refuting what he thinks is true) yet when you read the cited "hard evidence" it states

M79 90 mm anti-tank rockets captured from
IS forces in Syria are identical to M79 rockets
transferred by Saudi Arabia to forces operating
under the ‘Free Syrian Army’ umbrella in 2013.

To be fair his degree is in politics so maybe they don't have the same standards as the hard sciences when it comes to trying to avoid talking absolute pish.

I don't know why you seem so surprised about this, I thought everybody and their dog knew that so many of these weapons traced back to "the good guys".<_<

I dare say going back through the ages we have managed to arm most of the tyrants around the globe, at least the ones who have been classified as tyrants by the worlds police force.....

13 minutes ago, northernscum said:

I don't know why you seem so surprised about this, I thought everybody and their dog knew that so many of these weapons traced back to "the good guys".<_<

I dare say going back through the ages we have managed to arm most of the tyrants around the globe, at least the ones who have been classified as tyrants by the worlds police force.....

I'm not surprised, i'm surprised that an Edinburgh University Employee would write into a newspaper in conjunction with 3 other academics and directly lie about the findings of the Conflict Armament report for the purposes of discrediting an argument that Assad is better than ISIS.

They actually go on later in their letter to state that ISIS is preferable to Assad in power. Below is the last paragraph of the letter.

"IS is a brutal terrorist organisation, responsible for some 1800 civilian deaths in Syria, and linked to another eight hundred killings elsewhere in the world. But the Assad regime too is a brutal organisation, responsible for more than 100,000 civilian deaths, and the sort of countrywide devastation that IS can only dream of. By what conceivable criteria can Assad be regarded as the ‘lesser’ of these two repugnant evils?"

Nader Hashemi; Thomas Pierret; Yassin al-Haj Saleh; Brian Slocock
University of Denver, Colorado; University of Edinburgh; Istanbul; Chester

Edited by phart

I'm not going to pretend I know too much about the ins & outs of this shambolic conflict, so, what is the "end game" of the allied forces? To me it looks like they don't even know who to bomb 1st, there doesn't seem to be any updates on the success or otherwise of all the "targeted bombing sorties" which have taken place so far.

Just more and more petrified civilians being displaced and killed on a daily basis. What a f##king mess.

Been looking into this Academic at Edniburgh

Here he is last year

" Syria expert Thomas Pierret said the raids showed Washington was intent on preventing IS from expanding in Aleppo province, which is currently largely divided between regime and rebel control. 

'Washington seems really determined to stop IS from advancing against the rebels in Aleppo,' said Pierret, a professor at the University of Edinburgh.

The strikes showed Washington's 'pragmatism', he said, noting that Al Qaeda affiliate 'Al-Nusra only constitutes a small part of the rebel forces that are fighting IS,' in Aleppo, with moderate forces holding more territory."

This is the rebels that are walking about with the heads of their victims I believe the good doctor calls them the "moderates".

Anyway the Russians came in a couple of months later and wrecked/killed/massacre both ISIS and the "moderates" around Aleppo so that will turned out not to be there.

• 3 months later...
On 14/03/2016 at 8:42 PM, northernscum said:

I'm not going to pretend I know too much about the ins & outs of this shambolic conflict, so, what is the "end game" of the allied forces? To me it looks like they don't even know who to bomb 1st, there doesn't seem to be any updates on the success or otherwise of all the "targeted bombing sorties" which have taken place so far.

Just more and more petrified civilians being displaced and killed on a daily basis. What a f##king mess.

According the leaked emails the conflict was to help maintain Israel dominance of the region, same reason as the Iraq war basically.

9 minutes ago, phart said:

So leaked Hilary Clinton emails show

"Removal of Assad regime was aimed at maintaining strategic & nuclear domination of Israel, reveals Hilary's email."

http://theantimedia.org/wikileaks-drops-hillary-email-bomb-that-could-end-her-campaign-but-fb-censored-it/

I knew these "academics" were shilling.

Makes you wonder about people like Michael Gove who was literally screaming at fellow MP's when they voted down the motion to bomb Syria. This is the guy who will probably be your new Foreign Secretary or worse... You might as well just have Rupert Murdoch sitting there instead.

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

RT is hardly an objective source and the lack of objectivity is amplified when it comes to the Syrian conflict.

I picked RT deliberately for the source, the story is in 100's of publications , however like deliberate spelling  mistakes i like to see who is going for the ball and who is going for the man.

the real source is "Syrian Observatory for Human Rights" the US military are investigating and every major newspaper worldwide is reporting it.

But yeah RT is a bad source well spotted :) lol

16 hours ago, phart said:

I picked RT deliberately for the source, the story is in 100's of publications , however like deliberate spelling  mistakes i like to see who is going for the ball and who is going for the man.

the real source is "Syrian Observatory for Human Rights" the US military are investigating and every major newspaper worldwide is reporting it.

But yeah RT is a bad source well spotted :) lol

Oh the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, RT aren't so sure about him and neither are others http://www.globalresearch.ca/professional-news-gathering-the-syrian-observatory-for-human-rights-is-a-tool-of-western-propaganda/5495347http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article34582.htmhttps://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/jul/12/syrian-opposition-doing-the-talking

Edited by Larky Masher

6 hours ago, Larky Masher said:

lol again i picked the Syrian Observatory for human Rights deliberately. lol

Fool me once...

Anyway now we've settled on sources we can move to the less important issue of France bombing dozens of civilians in another country just after their own civilian murdered dozens of civilians.

Plus arming "moderate" rebels who do summary executions on 12 year olds and have actually cannabilised victims. But it was all a mistake you realise... Nour al-Din al-Zinki, who are US backed just made a wee mistake, accidentally cut off a 10-12 year olds head.

http://www.latimes.com/world/middleeast/la-fg-syria-beheading-video-20160719-snap-story.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/20/syrian-opposition-group-which-killed-child-was-in-us-vetted-alliance

Nour al-din al-Zenki, widely condemned over images of child’s beheading, was part of group receiving military support, including anti-tank missiles, until 2015

some MSM sources.

Edited by phart