Donating blood - they don't make it easy! - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Donating blood - they don't make it easy!

Given the poor times in Aberdeen and the fact you normally need to give about six weeks notice to get an evening appointment given their opening hours, I took a half day back at the start of February (day of the Aberdeen - Celtic game) to try and donate.

Car parking was an utter shambles, circled the area for over half an hour, couldn't find a space anywhere, so missed the appointment.

Booked the first available evening appointment after that - which was LAST NIGHT.

Got parked ok, filled in the form and then got taken in the room to go through it. They were a bit concerned about my trip to Tblisi last year, apparently there is malaria in Georgia, so after being there for about 45 mins they deferred me until they find out if Georgia will rule me out or not.

At least they've opened up a time for me next Tuesday evening to go back if they get the ok, meaning I won't have to wait the normal six weeks to get an appointment.

Not even sure if I'll manage given how bad my veins are sometimes in terms of giving up blood.

Given the donation centre in Aberdeen is appointment only, surely these opening hours don't exactly make it easy for people who work?

24n4apg.jpg

In a couple of weeks I'll try and get booked in to get tested to see if I can give after my trip to China last year. I haven't given in about 18 months because I got a tattoo before that.

In my last office someone arranged for groups to go at lunchtimes, the blood centre even paid for the taxi.

Try to donate but as a shift worker find its getting harder as they always come in the afternoon when i'm at work. Though Tayside seem to have the appointments also you can just pitch up and they will give you a slot... 

I've given since Georgia. They didnt seem concerned regarding trip there. I donate in Edinburgh.

I tried to give on Xmas eve after hearing their advert constantly. Got there at just after 1 to find they'd shut at 1 and weren't open for the next 4 days.

The one at Lauriston Place in Edinburgh is open until 7pm three nights a week, and 10am-4pm on a Saturday. Most people in the city could, I'd guess, make it at some point within those sort of hours. Appreciate that there might not be quite such good hours available everywhere, but I'd encourage everyone who can to make the effort. There are still mobile units, don't know how they decide where and when to go. I worked at a company in Stirling with about 300 staff that was approached by the NBTS with a view to sending the mobile unit there periodically if enough signed up in advance. Roughly 12 of us said we would make donations.

Edited by Pool Q

12 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

The one at Lauriston Place in Edinburgh is open until 7pm three nights a week, and 10am-4pm on a Saturday. Most people in the city could, I'd guess, make it at some point within those sort of hours. Appreciate that there might not be quite such good hours available everywhere, but I'd encourage everyone who can to make the effort. There are still mobile units, don't know how they decide where and when to go. I worked at a company in Stirling with about 300 staff that was approached by the NBTS with a view to sending the mobile unit there periodically if enough signed up in advance. Roughly 12 of us said we would make donations.

Given how much of a struggle some blood test samples have been, I'm not sure if I'll actually manage, but I want to at least try. If it doesn't work, then so be it, but I'll at least know I've tried.

The times above in Aberdeen are very poor. More evenings would make it much easier.

2 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Given how much of a struggle some blood test samples have been, I'm not sure if I'll actually manage, but I want to at least try. If it doesn't work, then so be it, but I'll at least know I've tried.

The times above in Aberdeen are very poor. More evenings would make it much easier.

Cove try as it does give you a good feeling.. and if anybody can get blood it will be them as they are well practiced in the dark arts.

You can also ask for them to take a sample for the bone marrow register as well. 

2 minutes ago, Mark frae Crieff said:

Cove try as it does give you a good feeling.. and if anybody can get blood it will be them as they are well practiced in the dark arts.

You can also ask for them to take a sample for the bone marrow register as well. 

Basically, once at the hospital they had to go through both arms (losing a vein mid-sample) before taking out of the hand.

On another occasion, they actually got their liver nurses in with their UV light thing and they couldn't find anything either, so they took it from the hand too.

I am trying though, as I said above, I WANT to donate if I can. At least if I give it a go, and they can't manage, I'll at least know I've given it a shot.

10 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Basically, once at the hospital they had to go through both arms (losing a vein mid-sample) before taking out of the hand.

On another occasion, they actually got their liver nurses in with their UV light thing and they couldn't find anything either, so they took it from the hand too.

I am trying though, as I said above, I WANT to donate if I can. At least if I give it a go, and they can't manage, I'll at least know I've given it a shot.

You'd be a shite junkie :(

The mobile van used to come to my office down in Bristol and the work actively encouraged you to donate, we have about 10,000 people on site so it was always appointment only. I used to donate twice a year.

Cost cutting measures meant the mobile service was cut. As a consequence I haven't donated since. Well done austerity.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

Guest flumax

They come to my work every 6 month, and also to my local secondary school 3x per yr.  Brilliant people. Never been to ARI to give, daft.

Do they not still do a session at kincorth academy couple times a year?