Derby day - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, adamntg said:

Yeah, that's a pity.

Although it's points over the season, and current form is also relevant. 

Look, we're doon.  I'm just constructing a wee narrative to get me thru to the end of the season.  Let me pretend it's still up for grabs. 

11 hours ago, jock strap said:

Great to see the spirit for the fight back but the awful defending will always make the attempt to stay up impossible.

As I've said before, I wish you luck.

I'm probably one of the few Dons fans that doesn't want United to go down, for various reasons....

2 hours ago, Rossy said:

As I've said before, I wish you luck.

I'm probably one of the few Dons fans that doesn't want United to go down, for various reasons....

I imagine the majority of Dons fans want Utd to stay up.  Normally a good game, a healthy rivalry and only an hour away.  I certainly do. I've also said before that I don't think they will go down. They're running it close now, but I maintain that they will escape. Might even still avoid the play-off given that Hamilton are in free fall.........

8 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

United were dire on sunday and killie must be really shite if united end up a place higher than them.

No gonna happen and please stop posting comments like this as my hopes raise a wee bit each time and only come smashing back down a wee bit later. :lol:

on a lighter note, Man Utd pumped City 1-0, and if they were a decent team, it should have been 10.

City were awful. Worst I've seen them for ages.

I see Dundee have appealed Scott Bain's red card.  Seems futile to me, there's plenty there to alllow the ref discretion to send him off.  

Mind you, after McDonald wasn't cited for his elbow last week, anything can happen.  You roll the dice, you see what it says.

6 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I see Dundee have appealed Scott Bain's red card.  Seems futile to me, there's plenty there to alllow the ref discretion to send him off.  

Mind you, after McDonald wasn't cited for his elbow last week, anything can happen.  You roll the dice, you see what it says.

How does Scott Bain being available hinder Aberdeen though? 

14 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Having watched it on Sportscene I think they may have a case. The ball was going away from goal and a defender would be covering if he'd regained possession...

38 minutes ago, Parklife said:

How does Scott Bain being available hinder Aberdeen though? 

I don't think there's any anti-Aberdeen conspiracy, Scott Mcdonald might've missed the Celtic game too if he'd got a ban.

The Aberdeen penalty and Dundee United penalty were similar levels of foul in my eyes.

I thought the Aberdeen one was probably a red card, as it stopped him getting a shot away from about 8 yards out. There was at least 1, maybe 2 other defenders in the area, but a shot from there surely is a "clear goalscoring opportunity"

The Dundee United one, keeper's cleaned him out, he might not have got to the ball, but if he did, it was a certain goal.

4 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I don't think there's any anti-Aberdeen conspiracy, Scott Mcdonald might've missed the Celtic game too if he'd got a ban. 

Either do i. 

Not with a standard 2 match ban (which is what he shoud've got) he wouldn't have. 

6 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Either do i. 

Not with a standard 2 match ban (which is what he shoud've got) he wouldn't have. 

You and your facts...

:lol:

What did you mean with your comment about disadvantaging Aberdeen?

11 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

You and your facts...

:lol:

What did you mean with your comment about disadvantaging Aberdeen?

That we've not had the rub of the green of late when it comes to officiating or administrating of games and situations. The incompetence of the SFA and their employees has cost us a lot of points at a crucial part of the season. Hopefully our luck will turn soon (and we'll start defending better too). 

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Having watched it on Sportscene I think they may have a case. The ball was going away from goal and a defender would be covering if he'd regained possession...

He's the goakeeper though.  If Bain hadn't knocked him over then McKay only has a defender on the line to deal with.  Surely that's a clear goalscoring opportunity?

24 minutes ago, Parklife said:

That we've not had the rub of the green of late when it comes to officiating or administrating of games and situations. The incompetence of the SFA and their employees has cost us a lot of points at a crucial part of the season. Hopefully our luck will turn soon (and we'll start defending better too). 

Fair enough. Motherwell had a similar run with a debateble last minute penalty v Hamilton followed by another last minute penalty at dens that was never a penalty combined with a general inability to hang on to a lead costing us points thought January.

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

He's the goakeeper though.  If Bain hadn't knocked him over then McKay only has a defender on the line to deal with.  Surely that's a clear goalscoring opportunity?

I think there's an argument for and against.

If McKay hadn't been impeded he'd be heading for the corner with a defender running over to challenge.

Pat Nevin and Michael Stewart both agreed it should've only been a yellow for Bain.

27 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

If McKay hadn't been impeded he'd be heading for the corner with a defender running over to challenge.

Pat Nevin and Michael Stewart both agreed it should've only been a yellow for Bain.

It's definitely in the grey area, which, in my opinion, would say the ref is within his rights to send him off.

I didn't realise Pat Nevin and Michael Stewart were professional referees.  Why are their opinions given any more weight than Johnny Munchpie?  That's not a go at you by the way, I just wonder why ex-players are suddenly refereeing experts.

Edited by adamntg

28 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

AND - he wasn't so much impeded as knocked off his feet by Bain rushing at him at full speed.  If it wasn't a goalscoring opportunity then wtf was the goalie thinking about?  Deserves a red card for stupidity.

10 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

Dundee Utd are letting MacKay take the penalties? He is rank at them. I remember he missed 3 in a row for us.

The one on Sunday was awful and that would be saved more often than you'd score. 

Yes, i think he has scored 6 so far. I didn't realise how bad a penalty that one was until I watched the highlights but as long as they get over the line... ☺

2 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

Dundee Utd are letting MacKay take the penalties? He is rank at them. I remember he missed 3 in a row for us.

The one on Sunday was awful and that would be saved more often than you'd score. 

He hasn't missed one yet to be fair. He's lazy, he can't score one on one, his general record from open play is pretty poor and he spends most of the game whinging and moaning at his teammates - but he's got a 100% record from the spot. 

3 hours ago, adamntg said:

It's definitely in the grey area, which, in my opinion, would say the ref is within his rights to send him off.

I didn't realise Pat Nevin and Michael Stewart were professional referees.  Why are their opinions given any more weight than Johnny Munchpie?  That's not a go at you by the way, I just wonder why ex-players are suddenly refereeing experts.

No worries I love munching pies.

And the grey area will soon be history, from next season it's a penalty + yellow unless the challenge is a red card offence...

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

He hasn't missed one yet to be fair. He's lazy, he can't score one on one, his general record from open play is pretty poor and he spends most of the game whinging and moaning at his teammates - but he's got a 100% record from the spot. 

He was awful at one on ones with us as well. When he was through on goal you almost expected him to miss and hit it straight at the keeper. Probably missed just as many if not more penalties than he scored. 

He scored a lot around the box though and his hold up play was great. Went through great spells but also had barren spells where he didn't score for months.

Edited by iainmac1