Tax - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

it only brings in/costs 190 million pounds,   

so dont see how that ads up.. Confused.

I need ti investigate further when i have the time...

FFS its a bloody mess.

As is the whole Devo situation

However as we now all agree ,

no one in Scotland will pay any more.:ok::ok:

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, stocky said:

However as we now all agree ,

no one in Scotland will pay any more.:ok::ok:

We don't all now agree stocky ... I'm also a bit perplexed about the numbers ... headline figure was £1.2bn over 5 years raised from raiding the wages of those over 40% ... and I reckon we're all in agreement that it runs to £323pa or approx £1600 over 5 years.

Dividing £1.2 billion by £1600  gives a nominal 750,000 workers ... instead the number is half that - question is as Parky mentioned earlier some over the threshold are going to get taken to the cleaners at about £1k per annum or are the figures imprecise and we'll get shafted even more?

5 hours ago, Pool Q said:

I don't follow that.

Say, for example, the benefit in kind value of your fuel benefit is calculated as £4200.00. If you earn less than £42k you'll pay 20% on this through PAYE (£840.00). If you earn £42,001.00, you'll pay 40% of £4,200.00 (£1,680.00). On this one BIK alone, it will cost people £840.00, as you always pay tax on the BIK at the highest rate you fall in to. 

4 hours ago, Alan said:

True dat. But your "have and have nots" mantra is just soundbites. SNP leadership don't give a flying f. They talk a good game. As do you. And the fraudulent Yes campaign. But the rhetoric is not matched by action.

Let's be honest, if the SNP cured cancer you'd be blaming them for putting doctors out of a job.

You're going to criticise the SNP regardless, which makes your opinions....that's all they are...virtually worthless. 

As I said, the people of Scotland have a choice in May. If they prefer the Tory tax plans, then people can vote Tory. It's called democracy.

I'm happy to let the people of Scotland choose.

29 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Let's be honest, if the SNP cured cancer you'd be blaming them for putting doctors out of a job.

You're going to criticise the SNP regardless, which makes your opinions....that's all they are...virtually worthless. 

As I said, the people of Scotland have a choice in May. If they prefer the Tory tax plans, then people can vote Tory. It's called democracy.

I'm happy to let the people of Scotland choose.

And in reverse across the water you'd support the SNP even if their economic policies had proven to be inaccurate bordering on lies and their domestic policies against their "progressive" and "social justice" soundbites.

Alas people won't be using their votes on policy but a sizeable number on flags, grievance and spin. You're a lucky man to be living in a country that votes on more "normal" matters but I do appreciate Netherlands has its own populist party upsetting the political spectrum.

4 hours ago, deecie said:

£45,000 is the rUK 40% tax threshold.

£43,387 is the Scotland 40% tax threshold.

As you don't understand this basic concept on which this debate is built, you may wish to sit it out until you fully understand what's going on.

If you are on that sort of money, I would have thought you would have had more important things to moan aboot than potentially "losing" a few hundred quid in tax giveaways. Like the increase in your local Yacht Club fees, or something like that? That's getting close to double the UK national average income. FFS stop yer whingin' min.

4 hours ago, stocky said:

what is

you will be paying 322.60 more tax than now

will you ? will you really?

You seriously believe you will be paying more..  

if so ,

u havent understood what is happening and what has happened 

i am sorry to say

i tell you what

Lets make a pledge to pay into the Ta Charity the amount extra tax you personally will be paying.

If you pay nothing, you pay in what you are quoting just now 

if you do pay more I will pay it in

Put your money where your mouth is...

The Tartan Army Sunshine Appeal offers to haud the jaikets.

27 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

If you are on that sort of money, I would have thought you would have had more important things to moan aboot than potentially "losing" a few hundred quid in tax giveaways. Like the increase in your local Yacht Club fees, or something like that? That's getting close to double the UK national average income. FFS stop yer whingin' min.

Earning £42k means you should have a yacht? 

32 minutes ago, Alan said:

Alas people won't be using their votes on policy but a sizeable number on flags, grievance and spin. 

If you'd only used the words 'cult' and 'brainwashed' you could have had Unionist bingo.

What a condescending, ignorant, sneering comment, which insult the huge number of Scots who make an informed, intelligent choice based on facts. 

Sadly, this kind of patronising arrogance is rife amongst Unionists blinded by hate and jealousy. 

Try and rise above that, eh ?

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Seems the SNP are damned if they do or don't with this:-

Minimal changes to taxes= Not radical enough.

Varying the tax rate= Unfair compared with the rUK

My opinion, Rome wasn't built in a day, the power hasn't even been devolved yet, let's judge it after a few years...

Completely agree. 

I cannot believe 5 pages have been dedicated to a question a monkey could answer. No you will not pay more income tax than you were. Yes you will pay more income tax than the rest of the UK. 

Whether you like it or not is simply down to personal opinion. I am fortunate enough to be in this tax bracket and when i voted YES in the referendum it was with a clear understanding that if Scotland was to become more socially just then i was going to have to take a hit one way or another. You cannot have it both ways. Anyone earning over £42k is doing pretty well in Scotland.  Others , especially those who voted NO will not see it that way. They think they are being shafted as they were happy with the status quo.

However the vast majority of people in Scotland want devolved powers and the whole bloody point is not to stay the same as the UK. The limited powers will make it really tricky .  It will take years to change things and doesn't really help when people are greetin at the first hurdle.

At the top of the thread there was an advert suggesting i may be due a £2500 tax refund. I suggest everyone moaning give it a click .

33 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

£42k, is a take home pay of about £2,000 a month.

Rent comes in at a very reasonable £950 per month, bills come in at about £350.

I'm keen on eating most days and am trying to save a deposit for my own place.

Throw in a rolling 28 days redundancy notice and unless some more work comes in i'm getting cut down to a 4 day week (which admittedly means i'll have more time for sailing).

So, thanks for your offer, but i'll continue to moan.

27 minutes ago, TA Sunshine Appeal said:

The Tartan Army Sunshine Appeal offers to haud the jaikets.

I've long been a fan of the excellent work of the Sunshine Appeal and am glad that thanks to me they will be receiving £322.60 of @Stocky 's money.

I shall continue to contribute more modest donations whenever possible.

15 minutes ago, Rossy said:

If you'd only used the words 'cult' and 'brainwashed' you could have had Unionist bingo.

What a condescending, ignorant, sneering comment, which insult the huge number of Scots who make an informed, intelligent choice based on facts. 

Sadly, this kind of patronising arrogance is rife amongst Unionists blinded by hate and jealousy. 

Try and rise above that, eh ?

It's a textbook Angus Robertson reply! How dare I question? It's sneering yada yada yada. If people looked at facts they would recognise they are being taken for a ride. Flags house flags. That's my insult.

8 minutes ago, deecie said:

I've long been a fan of the excellent work of the Sunshine Appeal and am glad that thanks to me they will be receiving £322.60 of @Stocky 's money.

I shall continue to contribute more modest donations whenever possible.

I am sure you will both be able to claim tax relief. 

43 minutes ago, TA Sunshine Appeal said:

And we thank you very much, Sir.

Now i will be made to feel bad by not paying a bet i have won, because it is a charity...

Deecie wont be able to show how much more tax he will be paying, because he wont be paying any more.

However, i feel bad as it would seem as i am winning,  a charity loses out. 

what if i pay a %age of Deecies forfeiture 

should it be 45% or 43%  or 40%   or should it be based on a figure produced in another country.

Oh the dilema.

I will pop some in whatever....:ok::ok:

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

If you earn £42,001.00, you'll pay 40% of £4,200.00 (£1,680.00). On this one BIK alone, it will cost people £840.00, as you always pay tax on the BIK at the highest rate you fall in to. 

Didn't know that, I thought it was all marginal on any form of income, salary or BIK, over the threshold.

Edited by Pool Q

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

Say, for example, the benefit in kind value of your fuel benefit is calculated as £4200.00. If you earn less than £42k you'll pay 20% on this through PAYE (£840.00). If you earn £42,001.00, you'll pay 40% of £4,200.00 (£1,680.00). On this one BIK alone, it will cost people £840.00, as you always pay tax on the BIK at the highest rate you fall in to. 

So are you saying that the entire BIK is considered only in terms of the salary / tax band? 

i.e. As the flip side of your example - £39,999 salary wouldn mean £4,200 BIK @ only 20% tax? 

1 hour ago, AlfieMoon said:

So are you saying that the entire BIK is considered only in terms of the salary / tax band? 

i.e. As the flip side of your example - £39,999 salary wouldn mean £4,200 BIK @ only 20% tax? 

Higher rate tax is based on your total income rather than just your salary

The BIK counts as income

£39,900 salary plus £4200 fuel BIK and say £6000 for the car BIK = £50100

(Im mixing and matching the personal allowances & rate bands for 15/16 & 16/17)

You take off your personal allowance of £11000 which leaves your taxable income as £39100

In his case as the basic rate is £31785 then £7315 of your income would be taxed at 40%

4 hours ago, deecie said:

Throw in a rolling 28 days redundancy notice and unless some more work comes in i'm getting cut down to a 4 day week (which admittedly means i'll have more time for sailing).

As a matter of interest. Are you working as a limited company, self employed or PAYE?

19 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Higher rate tax is based on your total income rather than just your salary

The BIK counts as income

£39,900 salary plus £4200 fuel BIK and say £6000 for the car BIK = £50100

(Im mixing and matching the personal allowances & rate bands for 15/16 & 16/17)

You take off your personal allowance of £11000 which leaves your taxable income as £39100

In his case as the basic rate is £31785 then £7315 of your income would be taxed at 40%

That's exactly what I thought would be the case and if that is the case, I can't see how the change is any more of an issue for Benefits in Kind than compared to any other person breaking the 40% threshold - whether that be through income only or combo of income+BIK. 

4 hours ago, stocky said:

Now i will be made to feel bad by not paying a bet i have won, because it is a charity...

Deecie wont be able to show how much more tax he will be paying, because he wont be paying any more.

However, i feel bad as it would seem as i am winning,  a charity loses out. 

what if i pay a %age of Deecies forfeiture 

should it be 45% or 43%  or 40%   or should it be based on a figure produced in another country.

Oh the dilema.

I will pop some in whatever....:ok::ok:

And we thank you very much, Sir.

5 hours ago, deecie said:

Must be hard living on the poverty line? I don't know how you manage.