Tax - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're posting a lot in the last day or 2.

Anyone would suspect that the Tory party were ripping themselves apart, their budget was a pathetic shambles, their idealogically motivated attacks on the vulnerable were exposed for what they are, and that the Chancellor was an arrogant, lying coward....but in the meantime you were desperate to pretend it wasn't happening.

But surely our favourite Uncle McTom wouldn't be trying to deflect, deflect, deflect, would he ?

Surely not.

Edited by Rossy

Some trots on social media have expressed their outrage by announcing that they'll be giving their list vote to the greens, rise, or Sheridan... While presumably giving their constituency vote to the tartan Tories. That'll show them :lol:

28 minutes ago, Rossy said:

You're posting a lot in the last day or 2.

Anyone would suspect that the Tory party were ripping themselves apart, their budget was a pathetic shambles, their idealogically motivated attacks on the vulnerable were exposed for what they are, and that the Chancellor was an arrogant, lying coward....but in the meantime you were desperate to pretend it wasn't happening.

But surely our favourite Uncle McTom wouldn't be trying to deflect, deflect, deflect, would he ?

Surely not.

He's not posting anything about the tories taking from the disabled to give to their rich chums though.

As some would say Osborne writes the budget, but IDS scuppers it. :spin:

39 minutes ago, Alan said:

That 50% pledge didn't last very long did it.

Swinney controls the finances. Sturgeon takes a selfie with crocodile tears.

oops

Edited by stocky

29 minutes ago, Alan said:

Liked this tweet from Loki & The Cartel

When you get emotionally attached to a political party you become really bad at realising when it's full of shit.

So that settles it you are emotionally attached.

8 hours ago, Alan said:

50% was the top rate tax declared 12 months ago by SNP. Now no more. We are all Thatchers children.

you are of course aware that the SNP said they would support a 50% top rate of tax "across the UK". To introduce a higher top tax rate in Scotland just now than the rest of the UK would be crazy - most reasonable people I suggest would agree with that. 

You seem to be angry quite a lot with the SNP. They are not perfect but despite Scunnered's nonsensical parroting, they are not the Tories. They are to most people a considerably better option for governing Scotland than SLAB or the Rennies. Maybe you should move a way for a wee while and then come back refreshed. 

Any government need to find a fine balance on tax, by taxing the well off too much the incentive to do well decreases along with drive needed,, tax them too little and it becomes unfair  the vulnerable,i agree with the propaslas from the snp on this one especially for the first year or two with these new powers as it will take while for then to get used to it,,,, I am not a snp member who agrees with all their policies and defend them at all costs,,,far from it but Alan you need to chill out with your constant attacks on all things SNP. All in all the run a sound government and deep down i dont think theres many who would disagree if you strip away their political elegances ,,,personally i think that is where the oposition the the snp go wrong, instead of well planned criticism on certain policies they just attack everything they put forward regardless 

13 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

you are of course aware that the SNP said they would support a 50% top rate of tax "across the UK". To introduce a higher top tax rate in Scotland just now than the rest of the UK would be crazy - most reasonable people I suggest would agree with that. 

And they would have the same problem if independent. If they can't do it now after demanding then when and what are they going to do? Their arguments of "social justice" become more insincere.

Speaking of tax how can a chancellor of the exchequer construct a budget whereby he reduces benefits for the disabled to fund tax cuts for the wealthiest tax payers?!

I mean FFS that is hilarious were it no so evil. Astonishing...

How did no one in the treasury or the cabinet not tap Osborne on the shoulder and point out that this was political suicide. But I guess growing up in a cosseted highly privileged Eton environment you would probably lack that immediate sense of what was right in the eyes of ordinary people versus what was obscene.

Cutting benefits for the disabled to fund tax cuts for the rich. That was the budget he went in with... just let that sink in for a moment.

That is Alan and the Tories to their core. The nasty party through and through.

Edited by thplinth

23 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Any government need to find a fine balance on tax, by taxing the well off too much the incentive to do well decreases along with drive needed,, tax them too little and it becomes unfair  the vulnerable,i agree with the propaslas from the snp on this one especially for the first year or two with these new powers as it will take while for then to get used to it,,,, I am not a snp member who agrees with all their policies and defend them at all costs,,,far from it but Alan you need to chill out with your constant attacks on all things SNP. All in all the run a sound government and deep down i dont think theres many who would disagree if you strip away their political elegances ,,,personally i think that is where the oposition the the snp go wrong, instead of well planned criticism on certain policies they just attack everything they put forward regardless 

They are the party of government there to be criticised. Keeps them on their toes and helps democracy. It's a strange world in Scotland today where nationalism is such a major political force people will blindly nod and change their views for the party view. Remember the howls of derision when top rate got cut from 50% to 45%? Now it's ok.

In terms of tax I'm ok with SNP policy. Between them and Westminster my wages after tax have increased due to government policy and I get all the additional freebies. The system is totally skewed in my favour. I can only think of well off pensioners who are getting a better deal. Progressive!

As far as tackling the regressive natures of the Westminster and Holyrood governments and making Alan and his fellow Tories suffer, Scottish Labour are making steps in the right direction...  Which is of course, left.  The following have been passed at conference and will appear in the manifesto for the Scottish elections.

Scottish Labour:

- Increase the Scottish Rate of Income Tax on higher earners to stop cuts.
- Scrap the regressive Council Tax and replace it with a fairer Land Value Tax.
- Devolve further revenue raising powers to local authorities.
- Match Shelter Scotland's figure of 60,000 new homes to tackle the housing crisis.
- Introduce a Warm Homes Act to reduce fuel poverty. 
- Cap rents in the private sector and introduce a Private Tenants' Charter.
- Scrap the Bedroom Tax. 
- Opposed outright to Fracking.
- Opposed outright to TTIP.
- Opposed outright to Trident. 
- Regulate buses to stop cherry picking of profitable routes.
- End the tendering process for Calmac ferries.
- Bring the railways into co-operative ownership.

10 hours ago, Alan said:

And they would have the same problem if independent. If they can't do it now after demanding then when and what are they going to do? Their arguments of "social justice" become more insincere.

if I understand you correct, you are saying that having a different top rate of tax in different parts of the the same country is no different to two separate countries having different top tax rates? 

Okaaay. When I referred to reasonable persons earlier, I now mean those that aren't unhinged. 

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

Speaking of tax how can a chancellor of the exchequer construct a budget whereby he reduces benefits for the disabled to fund tax cuts for the wealthiest tax payers?!

I mean FFS that is hilarious were it no so evil. Astonishing...

How did no one in the treasury or the cabinet not tap Osborne on the shoulder and point out that this was political suicide. But I guess growing up in a cosseted highly privileged Eton environment you would probably lack that immediate sense of what was right in the eyes of ordinary people versus what was obscene.

Cutting benefits for the disabled to fund tax cuts for the rich. That was the budget he went in with... just let that sink in for a moment.

That is Alan and the Tories to their core. The nasty party through and through.

Alan has been brilliant since this tax thing, he's seen a "gap in the defences" and flung all his reserves into the breach.

4 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

if I understand you correct, you are saying that having a different top rate of tax in different parts of the the same country is no different to two separate countries having different top tax rates? 

Okaaay. When I referred to reasonable persons earlier, I now mean those that aren't unhinged. 

So would the SNP do anything different if Scotland was independent? If so, why?

In USA, there are different tax rates for people in different states. People pay different amounts on council tax depending on where they live.