Czech Republic Vs Scotland On TV - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Czech Republic Vs Scotland On TV

OFlowerofScotland

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snodgrass MOTM for me. McGregor kept us in it first half, second half I thought we handled them well and the closest they came was a ricochet of a clearance from Fletcher (?).

I am glad S Fletcher didn't make this game and McCormack got a chance. He had a pretty decent game and looked lively as did all the front 4 and subs for them. 

I still think Ritchie is worth a starting place, Snodgrass takes a place in that 3 behind the striker now he is fit again, not sure who the 3rd player is but it's not Forrest or Maloney. Naismith? Anya? McLean and Phillips also pushing for that spot. 

The make up of the squad for the Italy and France games will be interesting. Traditionally these end of season friendlies end up seeing us down to the barebones but there is a fair bit competition in midfield and attack at moment so may be less call offs than normal.

I agree mostly with Dalgety's post, and most that I'd add, I would be repeating.

McGregor did have a great game as well. He does well mostly for Scotland.

Fantastic to see both Snodgrass and McCormack back.

Here's a new theory for us all. Are we big time bottlers, but friendly slayers? Imagine those results in a qualifying campaign.

We are not a bad team, but we are not a good team either, we are average. There are many average teams at the Euros, but unfortunately we didn't get there, we will someday. I am not sure at all about the WC group - England always do enough to beat us, and we'll see how the Slovaks are, plus Slovenia are either very good or shit, Lithuania aren't very good but they always seem to get a result out of us at home, and I sat through Malta - Moldova at work today which ended 0-0 but both Malta looked fairly decent enough, and remember the heat, and excuse after excuse, so 0-1 will do fine.

Let's not get too excited though. Our next realistic tournament will be 2020.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The sheep will be happy.

Kenny McLean makes his debut and is the first Dons player in five years to play for Alba.

And Simon Church just scored for Cymru.

:lol:

Will someone buy Kenny a razor for that attempted moustache?

I thought Mulgrew and Snodgrass showed an ability to deliver a killer ball that I doubt anyone else in our squad has. I'm not sure I share everyone else's enthusiasm over McCormack. I thought he did great at the goal but was otherwise underwhelmed.

14 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

Looked a penalty from our side.

From the tv perspective I watched it from it was just utterly unbelievable it wasn't given. Not even remotely debatable. 

Decent performance tonight. No more. First half we were absolutely awful with our ball retention but grew in to the game. But it still amazes me how uncomfortable on the ball some of our players can be. 

Decent workout but no groundbreaking information gained. Watt will be a real player for us. He has it all.

Edited by flynnyboy

McGregor saved us from a real doing in the first half. They smacked a free kick off the crossbar when it was still 0-0. We gradually got into the game and the last 10/15 minutes of the first half was pretty even. Second half we were by far the better team and looked most likely to score. Hutton was brought down in the box for an absolute stonewaller. We made a few subs and they came on and made a real impact. TA were in fine voice the whole game. Just gutted I wasn't there. Booked up for Metz though - roll on June.

No revelations tonight.

I think in short, I was delighted about how good McGregor and Snodgrass were.

Surprised how good Tony Watt was.

A little bit dismayed how bad Andrew Robertson was ( hopefully a one off )

I saw some highlights on youtube and we played some good stuff and could have scored another couple of goals then again so could the czechs.Mcgregor was on top form and pulled off 2 or 3 world class saves.One other thing i did notice was how bright the shirts were my eyes were hurting after 2 minutes.Hopefully its a tactic to blind the opposition so we can win games :spin::lol:

5 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I am glad S Fletcher didn't make this game and McCormack got a chance. He had a pretty decent game and looked lively as did all the front 4 and subs for them. 

I'm the same. In fact I'm starting to think we should consider calling it a day with regards to Steven Fletcher.

He's had plenty of opportunities now and it just hasn't happened. Partly because when presented with a good goalscoring opportunity he needs about three hours to decide which foot he's going to shoot with and then trips over himself when he does decide.

Six goals against Gibraltar, a team FIFA don't even recognise, is really not something to write home about.

9 hours ago, Peedie said:

Robert Snodgrass.. Mr Strachan build your fecking team around him.

Yep, we missed him badly. Was easily our best player before injury

8 hours ago, Bannannan said:

McGregor for me.

You are a disgrace to barry bannan ?

Putting the match on premier sports is really stupid and short sighted of the sfa. They probably got a few grand more than the BBC would have paid but hardly anyone even knew the game was on and kids won't have got to see it.

They then wonder why they can't fill hampden or sell the football shorts.

19 minutes ago, Mee said:

Putting the match on premier sports is really stupid and short sighted of the sfa. They probably got a few grand more than the BBC would have paid but hardly anyone even knew the game was on and kids won't have got to see it.

They then wonder why they can't fill hampden or sell the football shorts.

Not the SFA's doing. TV rights to away matches are sold by the host nation.

More of an issue with the BBC if you ask me. Wales/Northern Ireland was on BBC last night (both BBC Wales and BBC NI)

McGregor was outstanding and the main reason we win the match.

Our defence is still our big weakness.

We have lots of decent midfielders and it was good to see Snodgrass back. I thought Phillips looked good when he came on.

McCormack did well for the goal but he's not really a lone forward. Good to see folk starting to see how good Watt could be for us. 

Edited by PASTA Mick

10 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

McGregor was outstanding and the main reason we win the match.

Our defence is still our big weakness.

We have lots of decent midfielders and it was good to see Snodgrass back. I thought Phillips looked good when he came on.

McCormack did well for the goal but he's not really a lone forward. Good to see folk starting to see how good Watt could be for us.

Agree with most of that. Have always said since last year that the defence (Centre Half especially) is still our problem and the reason we didn't qualify, thought they done well though in the second half and will be interesting to see how they do vs Denmark with no Russell Martin.

Thought McCormack done well but drifted in and out of the game. Would like to see more of Watt in the games in May, he has filled out from the wee skinny lad that was at Celtic. Now seems strong and powerful. Would say out of the two frontmen that played last night he is the bigger threat to S. Fletcher loosing his place.

We always play well in meaningless friendlies just after we've failed to qualify for another tournament. I look forward to the qualifying stage again where we play decent for the first few games, then draw and lose in the next two, win the next one and then lose and draw and end up going out with 2 games to spare. We then win the two meaningless games and then win the next friendly and the cycle continues.

Last night never taught us anything apart from the more things change the more they stay the same.