Team v Czech Republic - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team v Czech Republic

JagDude

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, runningtings said:

Fletcher, Mulgrew and McLean in the middle seems a bit negative to me.

Don't know much about McLean but I can imagine Hutton & Robertson bombing forward to add some more attacking options maybe.

So only trying out McCormack and McLean?  Everyone else is fairly regular. 

What's the point? What will he learn from this?

I bet if the other Fletcher had been fit he'd have played instead of McCormack. 

Looks like this campaign will be more of the same not quite being good enough.

8 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

So only trying out McCormack and McLean?  Everyone else is fairly regular. 

What's the point? What will he learn from this?

I bet if the other Fletcher had been fit he'd have played instead of McCormack. 

Looks like this campaign will be more of the same not quite being good enough.

Emm, there will be substitutes.

Starting a team full of debutants away from home against a team like the Czech Republic is usually a recipe for disaster.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Emm, there will be substitutes.

Starting a team full of debutants away from home against a team like the Czech Republic is usually a recipe for disaster.

I didn't say we needed a team full of debutants. Just a wee bit more imagination. 

Strachan seems bereft of fresh ideas and this win over a weakened Czech team just papers over the problem for a while.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Interesting fact.

Ross McCormack is the first Fulham player to represent Scotland since 1960 !

The last was Graham Leggat who sadly died last year.

You do know McCormack left Fulham years Ago?

50 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I didn't say we needed a team full of debutants. Just a wee bit more imagination. 

Strachan seems bereft of fresh ideas and this win over a weakened Czech team just papers over the problem for a while.

Who would you have picked and played tonight?

We had McGregor, Berra, Darren Fletcher, Bannan, McLean, Phillips, Watt, Snodgrass, Caddis and McCormack who either never played or played infrequently in the last campaign on the pitch tonight. 10 players.  We also have the other "half" of the squad for the home game next week. I'm struggling to understand this lack of imagination claim based on 10 new or recalled players and another game, featuring different players again, still to come.

35 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Who would you have picked and played tonight?

We had McGregor, Berra, Darren Fletcher, Bannan, McLean, Phillips, Watt, Snodgrass, Caddis and McCormack who either never played or played infrequently in the last campaign on the pitch tonight. 10 players.  We also have the other "half" of the squad for the home game next week. I'm struggling to understand this lack of imagination claim based on 10 new or recalled players and another game, featuring different players again, still to come.

How many caps do McGregor, Fletcher, Snodgrass, Berra and Bannan have? What is to be discovered by playing them?

Only McLean and McCormack were starters. Why use Hutton other than just to give him his 50th cap?

We need to learn about some newer players and I was happy to see Caddis and Watt come on but surely we could have started another couple of new players?

3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Interesting fact.

Ross McCormack is the first Fulham player to represent Scotland since 1960 !

The last was Graham Leggat who sadly died last year.

It's certainly a fact, whether it's an interesting one is debatable. 

7 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

We need to learn about some newer players and I was happy to see Caddis and Watt come on but surely we could have started another couple of new players?

Who?

All very well you saying we should have done this and that but without suggesting viable alternatives you end up sounding like you are moaning for moanings sake.

IMO you have to have a mixture of new options and experience. You go in with a lot of younger and/or inexperienced players and you get dicked. That happened too often in the Vogts era with caps handed out like confetti. Results and morale suffered.

I thought he got the balance right last night. A few players getting a chance for turning up for squads in last campaign and hardly starting (Fletcher, Berra, McGregor), a couple of debuts, working someone back into the side who has been out with injury long term, some playing time and a chance to stake a starting spot for players who we have only seen bits of during Strachan reign (Phillips, Bannan). A good mix of lightly capped players and more established.