Germany v England - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Germany v England

29 minutes ago, Green_Tide_Rising said:

As for Germany .....what is going on there....problems in the camp.

In their last 5 games....they have lost to Ireland, France and England....and also beaten very narrowly Scotland (2-3) and Georgia at home (2-1), also add in the last year they have lost at home to the USA.

Strange seeing the Germans go to 2-0 up at home and still lose.

I'd judge Germany on the fact they are World Champions and qualified relatively comfortably for the euros (despite a few poor results) rather than friendly results.

its a bit of a cliche, but I wouldn't write them (Germany) off in the summer, they're always there or thereabouts!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I'd judge Germany on the fact they are World Champions and qualified relatively comfortably for the euros (despite a few poor results) rather than friendly results.

its a bit of a cliche, but I wouldn't write them (Germany) off in the summer, they're always there or thereabouts!

Oh Id never write them off  - No chance. I still fully expect them to be contenders for the title and I would also expect them if they meet England in the latter stages of the tournament...the result will be very different to last nights result

But in their games against Scotland,Ireland,Poland and Georgia in our group - they seemed to make it more difficult than they normally do in other groups as well as their friendly defeats in the last year or so

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

Their performance at Hampden was arguably the most dominant any team has been against us at home

We never looked at any time as if we would win and that they could have stepped up a gear

When the Germans have nothing to play for they are never at their best as seen in the following game against Ireland

England got back into the game from a set piece and a bit of magic from Kane when the Germans had decided they had done enough

England had the determination thereafter and the Germans didnt

Wouldnt read anything into it at all

1 hour ago, Green_Tide_Rising said:
37 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Their performance at Hampden was arguably the most dominant any team has been against us at home

We never looked at any time as if we would win and that they could have stepped up a gear

When the Germans have nothing to play for they are never at their best as seen in the following game against Ireland

England got back into the game from a set piece and a bit of magic from Kane when the Germans had decided they had done enough

England had the determination thereafter and the Germans didnt

Wouldnt read anything into it at all

In fairness - I only saw highlights of their game in Hampden ....so I have to hold my hands up there.

Guess just looking at their scores in the games in the group  - they just seem not to have been as ruthless as they can be. I say that with a very strong memory of them putting 6 past us in a world cup qualifier a few years back in our Trappatoni era.:mellow:

46 minutes ago, Bannannan said:

Lahm retired,Schweinsteiger past his best,Hummels not so good the whole season,lack of good wingers,I'd be surprised if they win the tournament.

Fair point Bannannan  - didnt think of Lahm etc

Talkpish radio has started referring to Engerland as "The Three Lions" in news items etc  as in "The three lions trained today ahead of the game versus Germany." I had visions of Simba, Parsley and Clarence the cross eyed playing three and in!

:unsure:

18 minutes ago, calimero said:

Talkpish radio has started referring to Engerland as "The Three Lions" in news items etc  as in "The three lions trained today ahead of the game versus Germany." I had visions of Simba, Parsley and Clarence the cross eyed playing three and in!

:unsure:

'The Three Lions' ! Hey, we need a nickname. The Rampant Lions? The Jaggy Thistles? The Saltires? NZ are the Kiwis, the Jamaicans are the Reggae Boys...

26 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

'The Three Lions' ! Hey, we need a nickname. The Rampant Lions? The Jaggy Thistles? The Saltires? NZ are the Kiwis, the Jamaicans are the Reggae Boys...

The laughing stock. That's ours.

1 hour ago, dan cake said:

England have a decent chance in this tournament

as there doesn't appear to be a dominant team in Europe at present

I'll be punting them for an interest 

9/1 at the moment

Aye, I think they have a good chance as well. 9/1 is very tempting.

29 minutes ago, Mox said:

Aye, I think they have a good chance as well. 9/1 is very tempting.

Having a punt on them will make the "hype" a bit easier to take

They could of course fail miserably 

I'll not be crying over a score (see what I did there)

My outside tip is Austria. Watched a lot of them in the group stages, in which they won 9, drew 1 and lost 0 in a group including Russia, Sweden and Montenegro, they were fantastic. Great going forward and extremely solid at the back. Got them at 50s but still best priced at 40s E/W

13 hours ago, flynnyboy said:

My outside tip is Austria. Watched a lot of them in the group stages, in which they won 9, drew 1 and lost 0 in a group including Russia, Sweden and Montenegro, they were fantastic. Great going forward and extremely solid at the back. Got them at 50s but still best priced at 40s E/W

Very good first 11  -   - however they dont have massive strength in depth throughout the squad to go all the way.

However if the their best 11 can stay fit - i can see them maybe getting to the semi's

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

15 minutes ago, wheres the pies said:

l see the Germans hammered the Italians the night 4.1 

Very impressive - they silenced the doubters in style

4 minutes ago, wembley67lisbon said:

England lose to a team that didn't even qualify...

A really poor dutch side in comparison to their past sides.

That result should quieten the english media's new found arrogance/optimism since their germany win on saturday

4 hours ago, Green_Tide_Rising said:

That result should quieten the english media's new found arrogance/optimism since their germany win on saturday

Can you evidence this arrogance?

Optimism I'll give you, there's been a fair bit, but the arrogance thing I haven't noticed.

Unless tongue-in-cheek to push the buttons of 'certain types'.... 

4 hours ago, Dave in London said:

Optimism I'll give you, there's been a fair bit, but the arrogance thing I haven't noticed.

rugby champions, potential euro 2016 winners and in the last four of the cricket 

back where they belong according to todays metro 

11 hours ago, Dave in London said:

Dave - I can give you years and years of arrogance and  by the english media towards your football team and how they overhype them to win things.

But here is your Football Association chairman telling your media that ye are going to WIN euro 2016 just last december ......and the draw had not even been made at that stage....:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/6799940/England-will-win-Euro-2016-says-bullish-FA-chairman.html

Dave - I can give you years and years of arrogance and  by the english media towards your football team and how they overhype them to win things.

But here is your Football Association chairman telling your media that ye are going to WIN euro 2016 just last december ......and the draw had not even been made at that stage....:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/6799940/England-will-win-Euro-2016-says-bullish-FA-chairman.html

Had to read the headline 3 times before I realised it didn't say bullshi*t FA chairman haha