Mark McGhee Explains Shinnie's Omission - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mark McGhee Explains Shinnie's Omission

ErsatzThistle

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/869237/undefined-headline-1599/

Scotland assistant manager Mark McGhee claims there is no room for Aberdeen defender Graeme Shinnie in the squad.

The left back was overlooked by manager Gordon Strachan for tomorrow’s game against Czech Republic and Tuesday’s match against Denmark, despite a string of impressive performances for the Dons this season and with Caley Thistle last term.

Although the 24-year-old was included in the squad for European qualifiers against Poland and Gibraltar towards the end of last year, he was not handed his first cap.

Former Dons manager McGhee says Hull City defender Andy Robertson and Celtic’s Charlie Mulgrew have sewn up the position between themselves for the double-header, meaning there was no place for the Aberdeen defender.

When asked why neither Shinnie nor Rangers captain Lee Wallace, who has also impressed for the league leaders in the Championship this season, had been called up McGhee said: “We can’t accommodate everyone in every position.

“Andy Robertson, for instance, has done brilliantly. Charlie Mulgrew will play left back as well.

“We can’t have everyone in the squad. Mulgrew and Robertson are the ones in possession. There is no place for those other players.

“I could name another dozen people who could be in. But Gordon has to pick a squad that he thinks is right and he wants to learn as much about as he possibly can and he has picked the ones that he thinks are right.”

Dons manager Derek McInnes was among those to query why Shinnie’s outstanding club form has not been recognised but McGhee says uncapped players such as the Aberdeen defender should not feel disheartened at not being part of the squad until qualification for the 2018 World Cup in Russia begins in September.

McGhee added: “The critical thing for players is when Gordon comes to name the squad for the Malta game when the campaign starts.

“Then people can start to worry if they’re not in it or ask the question about why someone’s not in it.

“At this stage, we’re just trying to gain as much knowledge as we possibly can and at the same time keep a balance of the squad that makes us able to be competitive and do well in the games.”

That should clear things up no doubt ........... :ph34r:

Maybe it's a psychological thing. Get him to really motor on till the end of the season and prove he's worth a call up in May. Strachan has had him in a squad before so knows him. He doesn't know tierney.

Argubally there really is too many left backs for the one squad. Robertson, mulgrew, shinnie, tierny and Wallace 

"Robertson and Mulgrew have the position sewn up."

Yet Robertson tends to be dropped for many of the big games (Ireland away for example) because Strachan clearly doesn't trust him, and has he ever started Mulgrew at left back?

1 hour ago, AberdeenAngus said:

Mulgrew isn't a left back.

Decent enough centre back and defensive central midfielder. 

Decent enough is a good description. Not been impressed with Mulgrew at international level, and not sure you really need utility players at international level anyway...

43 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Decent enough is a good description. Not been impressed with Mulgrew at international level, and not sure you really need utility players at international level anyway...

I don't agree with that. You saw the benefit Mulgrew brings on Thursday night when they were able to effect a substitution that changed the shape of the team.  Robertson was subbed off for Bannan, Mulgrew moved to left back and Bannan moved into central midfield.    Those are circumstances where it's really useful to have players who are comfortable in more than one position. 

Fair point. I hadn't thought of it in a game scenario. I'm still not convinced he has the quality required at international level, but I suppose in those circumstances it allows you to really change the team with 1 sub...

Whats he been like in Europe for Celtic? I don't remember him as outstandingly good or bad, but I'm normally too busy laughing at Ambrose!

:lol:

Mulgrew has been pretty good for Scotland under strachan. Shown good composure in midfield and solid at the back. Stand out games off the top of my head - Macedonia away, both ROI games, Croatia at home. Probably others 

Edited by JECK

It would make more sense if Strachan and McGhee hadn't adopted a bizarre scattergun approach to selection.

It seems that everyone got a call-up apart from the player that along with Griffiths has been arguably the outstanding performer in the Premiership this season. 

Along with the McCormack shambles, it simply reinforces the fact that McGhee and Strachan are fvcking idiots.

Graeme Shinnie's a decent player but i'm not sure why anyone would be too bothered one way or another about whether he's in the Scotland squad.

The difference between one fairly mediocre left back and another is hardly likely to make much difference to our qualification chances.

3 hours ago, JECK said:

Mulgrew has been pretty good for Scotland under strachan. Shown good composure in midfield and solid at the back. Stand out games off the top of my head - Macedonia away, both ROI games, Croatia at home. Probably others 

I'll add the friendly against Nigeria where he was partnered with Brown and put in a good performance.

Guest allyc
6 hours ago, fraz65 said:

Graeme Shinnie's a decent player but i'm not sure why anyone would be too bothered one way or another about whether he's in the Scotland squad.

The difference between one fairly mediocre left back and another is hardly likely to make much difference to our qualification chances.

Think u are very much mistaken about shinnie,but if he is not selected then we will never know.he was ict's best player by far last season and they have suffered badly losing him this year.same could be said for him at Aberdeen.

Edited by allyc
Spelling mistakes

On 3/26/2016 at 3:16 PM, aaid said:

What exactly is the "McCormack shambles"?

I'd say that deciding that McCormack was good enough to be chosen for the original scattergun squad, then being hurriedly rushed in to the starting line-up and putting in the best outfield player performance, comes into the 'shambles' bracket.

Not a huge one, I'll give you that, but enough to re-inforce the impression that Strachan and McGhee have barely got a fvcking clue about what they're doing.