Centre Backs - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Centre Backs

Third Lanark

After the Czech Rep match we now have options at MF and left back but CB is our problem, mainly because we have too many left footers to give balance to the centre back pairing. Only Martin and Greer are right footed centre backs. Let's look at the options:

McGhee (Hearts) - right footed but Robbie Neilson says he could play at right back in  the EPL but not CB because  he isn't big enough.

Souttar - Hearts rescued him from midfield obscurity at Dun U. but he is a football playing defender; is he right footed though? Hope here maybe.

Cooper - will get his chance v Denmark but is another left footer. Hanley is right footed but plays on the left. Godon McQueen doesnt seem to rate Cooper acc. to Scotland on sunday today.

Hanlon (Hibs) - could he cut it? Has enough U21 caps.

Danny Wilson - once the great hope but is also left footed and prone to serious error. Cost RFC a goal yesterday again.

O'Hara (Killie) once tipped as a promising CB. Anyone know about him?

Coll Donaldson - seemed to be a prospect when he went to QPR but now?

Have I missed anyone? We need Soutar and McGhee to step up.

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

After the Czech Rep match we now have options at MF and left back but CB is our problem, mainly because we have too many left footers to give balance to the centre back pairing. Only Martin and Greer are right footed centre backs. Let's look at the options:

McGhee (Hearts) - right footed but Robbie Neilson says he could play at right back in  the EPL but not CB because  he isn't big enough.

Souttar - Hearts rescued him from midfield obscurity at Dun U. but he is a football playing defender; is he right footed though? Hope here maybe.

Cooper - will get his chance v Denmark but is another left footer. Hanley is right footed but plays on the left. Godon McQueen doesnt seem to rate Cooper acc. to Scotland on sunday today.

Danny Wilson - once the great hope but is also left footed and prone to serious error. Cost RFC a goal yesterday again.

McQueen's comments about Cooper were mainly due to his Cooper being a granny rule player, which automatically made him bad in McQueen book. I read McQueen's interview in the SoS and thought he was being extremely negative and far too dismissive of the new players called up. 

Hanlon's Under-21 caps from several years ago mean nothing. The number of Under 21 caps a player has doesn't prove anything. 

Unfortunately we'll just need to play the waiting game with regards to centre backs.

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Agreed. Balatoni is Killie's best Scottish centre half which isn't saying much...

Haha theres a reason we are in the play off spot. I knew ohara when he was young. Lived next door to my mate, was always good with theball st hisfeet,even when he was about 7 or something. Nevera defender

Our centre halves are going to be Berra, Martin, Hanley, Greer and Mulgrew for the next campaign - unless someone comes out of nowhere. Makes for depressing reading but with a bit of luck, fewer mistakes and McGregor, Marshall and or Gordon in top form, might just be enough. Injuries permitting, because of the paucity of any outstanding centre halves I still think we should play three centre halves for away games. 

9 hours ago, Radian said:

I think Mulgrew has played well in the games he has played CB for us, not saying he should start but a good option if one or two injuries occur.

Great with the ball but tends to switch off defensively eg. the goal in Georgia...

9 hours ago, Garywag said:

I'm really hoping Liam Lindsay at Thistle's career progresses the way his potential is showing him to. 

Could be a good centre back in years to come!! 

Will look out for him :ok:

Has that fool Spragia not given him a chance with the Under 21s ?

14 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

Our centre halves are going to be Berra, Martin, Hanley, Greer and Mulgrew for the next campaign - unless someone comes out of nowhere. Makes for depressing reading but with a bit of luck, fewer mistakes and McGregor, Marshall and or Gordon in top form, might just be enough. Injuries permitting, because of the paucity of any outstanding centre halves I still think we should play three centre halves for away games. 

Think the 3 centre backs idea is definitely worth considering. I love the fact that WGS has us trying to play football (not like Leveins fear of losing tactics) but maybe we just need to accept we have to be more defensive against the better teams away from home. We always look capable of nicking a goal (Georgia away was the only game we didn't score in). We tried to play football against Germsny and lost twice, Ireland played to their strengths and got 4 points.

Saying that, if we don't try out 3 centre backs in any of the friendlies I can't see it happening in the qualifiers.

15 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Will look out for him :ok:

Has that fool Spragia not given him a chance with the Under 21s ?

Na he was overlooked in the last squad, deserved a call up as he's been a regular for Thistle this season. 

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 1:33 PM, Third Lanark said:

McGhee is not good enough yet an I have my doubts he ever will be.

Soutar has come in and has looked very good at centre half alongside Ozturk (St Johnstone game aside) maybe a bit early for him though

Unless Wilson has drastically improved since he left Tynecastle he shouldn't be considered.

6 hours ago, aaid said:

Centre back is our weakest position, so let's play more of them in a system that none of them play at their clubs.  Genius. 

It is the position where we have least options but I'm not so sure it's our weakest within the starting 11. I wouldn't play three at the back as knowing us it would end up 5 at the back and we'd be under siege (it does allow 2 strikers, though). Hanley-Mulgrew could work at centre back and allow Martin at right back. That's if McGinn can do the same job Mulgrew does in midfield....

From watching the game last night its plain to see that we will struggle this next campaign due to the centre backs. I think it would be money wisely invested in recruiting a dedicated defence coach to work with the defence as a whole. The other important thing im my opinion would be too make sure we have the cover in front of the back 4 to help them out. If that's a weakness which it is we need to do all we can to reinforce infront to expose their weaknesses to a minimum.

I like the list above but all it does is hightlight that there is very little quality coming through especially international class quality