Squad Vs Denmark - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad Vs Denmark

Fraser19

13 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I forgot about McArthur. It should be him and Fletcher starting every time for me. I'm not keen on either Mulgrew or McGinn in there at this moment. McGinn was okay last night but his poor positional sense and discipline might cost us in future games. I'd have been keen to have seen Shinnie given a chance in there (i'm still genuinely stunned that the 2nd best player in the SPFL this season wasn't called up for experimental squads). 

I like Mulgrew in the squad purely for his versatility, I wouldn't have him in the starting 11 for competitive games but he's useful to have as backup or to effect a tactical substitution.   For McGinn, I could see him being in and around the squad  - depending on fitness and form - getting experience during the next set of qualifiers and then looking to be a starter for the next Euro campaign.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also wouldn't discount Mulgrew but on current form, he's on the fringes and depending on club form/opposition, I'd have no complaints about rewarding a younger player with a place at his expense. But before his last injury, he filled a massive whole well in midfield when we lost Darren Fletcher to illness.

Mulgrew was pretty poor last night though - flashes of experience and composure quickly undermined by poor passing or a lack of pace. On that form, he's nothing more than a squad player on the basis he's versatile.

As someone else said, we also need to move on from Chris Martin. I'll spare you all another Steven Fletcher rant as well. I thought Bridcutt had some potential before but he was utterly wild last night. I still cringe at thon tackle - a career ender on another day IMO.

Worries me that Gordon Strachan said  AFTER the game that he had learnt a lesson tonight that if a player is not playing for his club then he is not physically fit enough for International football . He said that 4 or 5 players came into that category . Why did he play Greer , Maloney , Whittaker  and  Fletcher ?

The posters on this message board  have been pointing out for weeks that these players were not getting regular games and could not be fit enough  ( or good enough ) . Shouldn't have needed to play them to find out . A few other players in the squad also fall into this category  .

27 minutes ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Worries me that Gordon Strachan said  AFTER the game that he had learnt a lesson tonight that if a player is not playing for his club then he is not physically fit enough for International football . He said that 4 or 5 players came into that category . Why did he play Greer , Maloney , Whittaker  and  Fletcher ?

The posters on this message board  have been pointing out for weeks that these players were not getting regular games and could not be fit enough  ( or good enough ) . Shouldn't have needed to play them to find out . A few other players in the squad also fall into this category  .

I think its a element of wanting to try new things, but at the same time not being daft enough to go with a completely untested team.

Though he did try new things, Greer was almost played by force simply because we have nobody else (and not wanting to chuck Liam Cooper in straight at the deep end)....Whittaker I suspect would have not played had Callum Paterson been fit.... Maloney is one of Strachans favorites, so will probably always try to find/make room for him (to be honest, he didn't really have a bad game last night) and Fletcher I have suspected for a while now that he is played out of force just in hope that this is the game be finally starts getting goals (the way Strachan played him last night was actually how Marseille have been trying him out, and to be fair, there looked to be more of a spring to Fletchers step last night, and not the striker who if he takes a tackle within the opening minutes will spend the rest of the game worrying about his glass ankle)

Edited by wanderer

19 minutes ago, tjm007 said:

I thought McGinn was vastly overrated last night - don't understand the fuss at all.

The ability to burst past players and play some clever passes through the defence are clearly lost on you.

We need someone in the midfield who can get us moving forward, we can't play Brown/Fletcher together, need to start being more positive on the ball in there.

I'd get him in the team for the next 2 matches, I'd also like to see more of Burke, what little we saw looked very good but its hard to tell.

Some fans seem to be happy playing tried and tested players, but we haven't qualified for a tournament for 20 years!

Time to be more positive.

I actually thought Brown had his best game in ages last night.

McGinn stood out because he had a kind of 15 minute burst in each half where he got lots of the ball and looked confident on it. For the other 60 minutes he was a bit anonymous.

Denmark poured through the midfield at times. We won't get away with that in competitive games.

9 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Oh great another "Ye should only play fur Scotland if yir born in Scotland !" fanatic. :worried:

That article was from when he was fifteen years old. He's been committed to us for a few years now.

Actually he hasn't been committed to us for a few years, its only this season he's started representing Scotland , he's never been in a Scotland squad before which is a little suspicious given his obvious eligibility and considering our standards are not exactly high. Therefore its legitimate to conclude, given his having been on England's radar at least,  he was waiting for an England cap that never came and realised its actually easier to get in to the senior Scotland squad than England under-19 team.

He was actually born in Scotland so that's not the point, its the fact that we're apparently second choice as usual. I don't know if he even has a scottish bloodline, he was brought up in Melton Mowbray and may have just been dropped in Kirkcaldy whilst parents were working there or otherwise temporarily in residence. Its not about birthplace for me  - I don't consider Maloney Malaysian for instance, its about where you grow up, where your parents are from, who you support and what you identify as first and foremost and Burke's reluctance to represent us before now makes me doubt he really identifies as Scottish. 

1 hour ago, Bannannan said:

Btw did Leigh Griffiths have a shot at goal.?

Pretty sure he never but not one chance was created for him the entire time he was on, barring Maloneys terrible through ball which he was never going to reach

1 hour ago, runningtings said:

I'd get him in the team for the next 2 matches, I'd also like to see more of Burke, what little we saw looked very good but its hard to tell.

Potentially involved in the Play-offs with Hibs for at least the Italy game.

27 minutes ago, mcnish said:

Actually he hasn't been committed to us for a few years, its only this season he's started representing Scotland , he's never been in a Scotland squad before which is a little suspicious given his obvious eligibility and considering our standards are not exactly high. Therefore its legitimate to conclude, given his having been on England's radar at least,  he was waiting for an England cap that never came and realised its actually easier to get in to the senior Scotland squad than England under-19 team.

He was actually born in Scotland so that's not the point, its the fact that we're apparently second choice as usual. I don't know if he even has a scottish bloodline, he was brought up in Melton Mowbray and may have just been dropped in Kirkcaldy whilst parents were working there or otherwise temporarily in residence. Its not about birthplace for me  - I don't consider Maloney Malaysian for instance, its about where you grow up, where your parents are from, who you support and what you identify as first and foremost and Burke's reluctance to represent us before now makes me doubt he really identifies as Scottish. 

Yawn

1 hour ago, mcnish said:

Reluctance to represent us ?

He played six games for our Under 19s last year.

Waiting for England ? Wow that was one hell of a long wait then considering how he's eighteen years old, not twenty eight.

You've really not thought any of this through have you ? :lol:

Positives - 3rd win in a row so good for the squad's confidence. Decent debuts for Tierney and McGinn. Just a pity Tierney's not right sided. Don't see him playing ahead of Robertson. Good to have the competition and depth though.

Negatives - Whittaker. Every time Hutton is selected you wonder why and then you see Whittaker play and it becomes obvious. Don't understand Caddis not getting the 2nd half. Mulgrew's a useful squad member to cover centre midfield and centre back but he's never a left back. Also didn't understand Greer playing the 90 minutes. I know nothing about Cooper but surely it was worth giving him some time. Hampden - been saying it for years. Should only be used for competitive games and "glamour" friendlies. When are the SFA going to see sense and take all other friendlies round the grounds? Beyond belief. And what about the pitch? How can it be in that state after being laid only a few weeks ago.

I think Griffiths should be a regular in the team but not a starter.he put a lot of work in chasing the ball but did nae get very far.I say he would be great to come on in the last 25 as a sub with his pace at that point of the game he could just score a winner or two.

We were pretty poor last night and i would still be stunned if we get into the top two in the group. There are numerous players that should have been chopped after the last failure who turned out in the two friendlies. 

4 hours ago, mcnish said:

:lol::lol::lol: 

2 hours ago, adamntg said:

If he was raised in England but born in Scotland I think he's quite entitled to be enthused by the prospect of representing either country.  He's picked Scotland while still a youngster, that's good enough for me.

Nottingham Forest winger Oliver Burke was delighted to get the chance to show the Scotland fans what he can do - as well as give himself further belief that he can launch a sustained international career.

The 18-year-old was handed his first cap off the bench in the 82nd minute of Scotland's 1-0 Hampden friendly win over Denmark, but he still managed to make an impact.

Latching on to a clever ball over the head of the left-back, Burke used his pace and power to get in behind the Danish defence and drove in a cross that caused panic in the visiting rearguard before bouncing wide off fellow substitute Chris Martin.

"I showed them a little glimpse of what I've got," said Burke, who has only played 21 first-team club games.

"That's what I am about: in behind, taking players on.

"I'm more than ready. I feel I showed that in training and let's see where it gets me.

"I've got great belief in myself but it's a great bunch of boys as well, which always helps.

"I'd be delighted to carry on this career. To play for Scotland is what I want to do."

The Fife-born winger was watched by his family at Hampden and relished his Scotland debut.

"It was a very exciting feeling," he said. "I wasn't fully expecting to play. I was just going to go into training and give it all I have got, and show Gordon Strachan what I have got.

"My dad was here, and my mum and step-dad as well. My dad is Scottish and he was very happy but my family keep it very humble and keep me grounded."

3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Reluctance to represent us ?

He played six games for our Under 19s last year.

Waiting for England ? Wow that was one hell of a long wait then considering how he's eighteen years old, not twenty eight.

You've really not thought any of this through have you ? :lol:

He's only represented Scotland at any level from this season, that's hardly a few years. He has never played for us at under-16, under-17 or under-18 level. Why do you think that was? Did he not know being born in Scotland entitled them to represent us? Did the SFA not know he was qualified despite his English born team mate in his year group captaining the team  or was he not considered good enough to cut it as one of the best 20 odd scottish qualified players born in 1987? Or was it possibly answer D was he holding out for England attention having been looked at by them in their Victory shield preliminary squad 4 years back and then got fed up being overlooked subsequently by the England youth squads?

Excuse me for not being naive and gullible enough to ignore the obvious. Ok so now playing for us is what he wants to do, same as it is now what James Morrison wants to do but its delusional to imagine either of them considered Scotland their first choice.

27 minutes ago, mcnish said:

He's only represented Scotland at any level from this season, that's hardly a few years. He has never played for us at under-16, under-17 or under-18 level. Why do you think that was? Did he not know being born in Scotland entitled them to represent us? Did the SFA not know he was qualified despite his English born team mate in his year group captaining the team  or was he not considered good enough to cut it as one of the best 20 odd scottish qualified players born in 1987? Or was it possibly answer D was he holding out for England attention having been looked at by them in their Victory shield preliminary squad 4 years back and then got fed up being overlooked subsequently by the England youth squads?

Excuse me for not being naive and gullible enough to ignore the obvious. Ok so now playing for us is what he wants to do, same as it is now what James Morrison wants to do but its delusional to imagine either of them considered Scotland their first choice.

Having read your posts on this subject, it is a matter of great relief that you have no influence over who is eligible to play for Scotland.

19 minutes ago, mcnish said:

How many times was he called up before this season?. Are you seriously suggesting he should have informed the SFA of his availability?