The Right Back Problem - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Right Back Problem

scot scotland scottish

Wee bit disappointed that Strachan didn't try somebody else at RB over the two games, even just for 15 minutes or so. I'm pretty sure  the majority of us would agree that neither Hutton or Whittaker are up to the job. It was a pity that Paterson pulled out injured, but I'd have liked to seen something else being experimented upon. Granted there seems to be a dearth of talent in this position, but there's surely other Scottish right backs cutting around in the SPL (even the championship)

That was Whittaker's first game since October and with Remi Garde getting the bullet at Villa, Hutton might well fall out the picture there too. Reason alone to have a look at somebody else.

(PS I'm fully aware that I've not come up with many names but I don't watch as much club football these days)

Got to give Calum Paterson a go sometime but Italy and France might not be the right games to give him a debut.

What about Paul McGinn too ? I dunno.

We are pretty much searching for scraps currently.

And Donald Love is not the answer. Just because he plays for Man Utd doesn't mean he is any good.

Agree that Hutton and Whittaker aren't the answer but they appear to be the best of a bad bunch, Whittaker has barely made the Norwich bench when they have been going through a bad run in the last 3 months so for me until he played regular football and came into form id shy away from him

Possible options

Shift Russell Martin to right back (played a bit for Norwich there this season and done in the past) and play in CB a combination of Hanley / Berra / Mulgrew / Cooper (not sold on him myself)

Or choose a right back between Caddis (height and pace problem possibly), Paterson (still a bit raw and untested but i'd welcome him the opportunity to be tried in a few friendlies good age and athletic), Bardsley (not paying first team football but if could get regular games and a run of form and sort it out with Strachan  like him as an option sadly getting on a bit), Palmer (barely plays for Shef Wed so a no go for me), Love (really don't know why his names being mentioned 2 poor performances for Utd when they had literally no other option then him doesn't mean he should be in when on lone at Wigan 2 leagues down he didn't really cut it) then you got younger guys ike McGhee, O'Hara, Gordon etc

Or hope we can unearth some English player with Scottish roots...cue debate on eligibility

1 hour ago, jock strap said:

What would we give for a Danny McGrain or a Maurice Malpas type full back. 

We could always try Robertson/Tierney at each side with Hutton and potentially Shinnie as back up ? 

This,

Exactly what I'd like to see. Robertson is international class and Tierney is young and showing promise? Is it so far fetched that we could have a young lad learn to play on the other side of the park? 

IMO they could nail LB/RB down for a long time.

Callum Paterson will get a run in the end of season friendlies surely. Unfortunate he was injured surely on the eve of his first cap.

Caddis is an option too.

It isn't all doom and gloom. I do think the days of Whittaker have gone though and Hutton in reality we should be actively looking to replace.

16 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Callum Paterson will get a run in the end of season friendlies surely. Unfortunate he was injured surely on the eve of his first cap.

Caddis is an option too.

It isn't all doom and gloom. I do think the days of Whittaker have gone though and Hutton in reality we should be actively looking to replace.

Callum Paterson would be my first choice also. Hoping he stays fit and gets some decent game time vs Italy & France. He is another player who could make that spot his own for the next 10 years!

Caddis isn't the worst right back in the world either but we need our full backs to get up and down the park and have a bit of flair (like Hutton used to!!) so Paterson fits the bill best for me.

We only need to look at Iceland as proof of how it should be done (with a population of just 300K).Get rid of the old, has-been players and bring in the young, hungry lads. Once they gel together we could have a solid team for the future!!

Edited by clarky1606

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

Souttar could be a decent right back if played there at club level - which isn't going to happen. 

Nah Levein wants him at centre half

Paterson may well be away in the summer as Liam Smith looks ready to step up as his replacement

Ziggy Gordon is a fine young right back, great prospect.  Good in defence, excellent at bombing forward down the line.  Rumours are that Poland want to cap him (he has a Polish mother), but because he plays for little old Hamilton Accies, he's not even mentioned.

1 hour ago, Shotts56 said:

Ziggy Gordon is a fine young right back, great prospect.  Good in defence, excellent at bombing forward down the line.  Rumours are that Poland want to cap him (he has a Polish mother), but because he plays for little old Hamilton Accies, he's not even mentioned.

Fair point.

As much as I was impressed with Kieran Tierney and have heard good things about him, there's no way he'd get fast tracked to the senior squad so quickly if he played for Hamilton or the likes.

3 hours ago, Shotts56 said:

Gordon's a good shout, but he doesn't play for a bottom half Championship club or Celtic reserves.

Much more realistic than Paterson. I can't believe that people are talking about him as a Scotland player.

Edited by Rossy

15 hours ago, Rossy said:

Gordon's a good shout, but he doesn't play for a bottom half Championship club or Celtic reserves.

Much more realistic than Paterson. I can't believe that people are talking about him as a Scotland player.

Lol. Not taken your pills today?

Whatever it is it worries me that we have no backup plan for Hutton and Whittaker

Its kind of the same with GK position in 3 to 4 years our three goalies (who are an excellent bunch) will be way over the hill and there doesn't seem to be much coming through that promise to be international class. Bain don't think will get to the level of the current 3 although I hope im wrong. The only possibility is the Liv goalie at Pompey at the moment, Fulton I think hes called

27 minutes ago, borojock said:

Whatever it is it worries me that we have no backup plan for Hutton and Whittaker

Its kind of the same with GK position in 3 to 4 years our three goalies (who are an excellent bunch) will be way over the hill and there doesn't seem to be much coming through that promise to be international class. Bain don't think will get to the level of the current 3 although I hope im wrong. The only possibility is the Liv goalie at Pompey at the moment, Fulton I think hes called

Jordan Archer's having a good season at Millwall and kept David Forde out the team so he might be in contention particularly if Millwall go up.

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 5:02 PM, Rossy said:

Based on yesterdays showing Gordon can't cut it in the SPL let alone for Scotland. Pipe doon.

On 31 March 2016 at 2:13 PM, borojock said:

Might have been an idea to try Martin at RB in one of the friendlies with a different CB pairing seeming as he quite often plays there for his club. The Hutton situation is worrying, when Villa go down they might have to punt some of their higher earners (guessing Hutton is on a good wage). Not sure who else will take him on. Seen a few comments from Villa fans over last couple of seasons saying he was one of few players they were happy with. When he got sent off in Saturday noticed quite a few Villa fans applauding as he walked off after his second booking. Don't know if that was applause for his efforts, sarcasm or relief he was off!

23 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Doesn't make him crap either

My problem was actually more with people posting that he should be in the last squad purely "because he plays for Man Utd".

That's just daft, scatterbrain thinking.

There's are loads of young players who have been on the books of clubs like Man Utd, Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs etc and who are now playing League 2 or non-league football by the age of twenty one.

Edited by ErsatzThistle