Standing - Scotland Home Games - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Standing

Grantyboy1983

This probably crops up regularly I imagine but why does the crowd in various parts of Hampden insist on standing for the entire match in an all-seated stadium? I had my 2 sons at the game last night and my friend had his wee boy too, I just told them to stand on their seats which wasn't fair on the people behind us but it was the only way they could see. One steward did have a good attempt to get folk to sit down (whilst getting dogs abuse i might add) and a few did for 60 seconds then stood back up again. I know some won't see this as an issue but it defeats the point of an all-seated stadium and it's a selfish attitude to have. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Grantyboy1983 said:

This probably crops up regularly I imagine but why does the crowd in various parts of Hampden insist on standing for the entire match in an all-seated stadium? I had my 2 sons at the game last night and my friend had his wee boy too, I just told them to stand on their seats which wasn't fair on the people behind us but it was the only way they could see. One steward did have a good attempt to get folk to sit down (whilst getting dogs abuse i might add) and a few did for 60 seconds then stood back up again. I know some won't see this as an issue but it defeats the point of an all-seated stadium and it's a selfish attitude to have. 

Didn't really see anyone stand last night other than in one section of the west stand. I travel with adults only (my three year old will start soon) and have always sat in the west stand and have always stood. Last night very early on almost everyone sat forcing others to do so too bar a few, one girl in particular turned round and said since when did we sit? (she kinda had a point) 

I can see it from the point of view of people who like to stand and those who have young children have a need for everyone to sit so they can see better......

Im probably more for standing than against however, even with me soon to take the wee man. Sitting for me kills the little atmosphere hampden has. At the end of the day 100k used to stand inside hampden and plenty of those were kids, how did they manage to see?

Im not sure how we keep everyone happy? Build a standing section? Re-build hampden into steeper tierd stands? 

Sending a wee lassie round with a high viz jacket on shouting at folk to sit or they are getting ejected isn't the answer however.

Stewards in North Stand were clamping down big time on this last night.....literally starting at the bottom and working their way up the stairs screaming at folk to sit down.

No major problem with this, but there was a number of folk not taking it in, and just continued to stand, and as a result folk behind them had to stand up to see, and this worked its way right up the stand. 

9 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Stewards in North Stand were clamping down big time on this last night.....literally starting at the bottom and working their way up the stairs screaming at folk to sit down.

No major problem with this, but there was a number of folk not taking it in, and just continued to stand, and as a result folk behind them had to stand up to see, and this worked its way right up the stand. 

This exactly, it can't really be enforced though as it's not practical to eject 2000 people and as I said the stewards were getting pelters for their attempts to do this which is uncalled for.

I was in the North Stand and stood throughout due to everyone in front doing so.  An old guy was going mental at some young folk in front of him stood up and I do have sympathy with these fellas with dodgy knees, etc, and kids who cannot see, but his rude insistence that everyone conform to his way of viewing the match is as selfish as theirs.  The solution has to be a youth/OAP section where everyone sits which we normally have at bigger games.  People cannot expect to be in the North stand near the halfway line and sit down for the entire game and see the match.  I don't take kindly to having some guy high on High Viz Jacket Power shouting at paying customers like misbehaving inmates, either. 

That's one of the reasons I'm not happy with kids tickets being available for the north stand in the new campaign (many will disagree with me, I know). North stand & the North West corner always stand, if you want to sit then go elsewhere! 

It seems I'm being rather dickish but it's always seemed to be like that, as a youngster i was always in the family section & then moved up to the north stand. I prefer standing & feel it helps with atmosphere (albeit you'd never know there was a game on last night) 

22 minutes ago, Rory said:

That's one of the reasons I'm not happy with kids tickets being available for the north stand in the new campaign (many will disagree with me, I know). North stand & the North West corner always stand, if you want to sit then go elsewhere! 

It seems I'm being rather dickish but it's always seemed to be like that, as a youngster i was always in the family section & then moved up to the north stand. I prefer standing & feel it helps with atmosphere (albeit you'd never know there was a game on last night) 

I agree with this. Seems to be more of an issue when it is a sparsely populated friendly, when there is no atmosphere anyway! During the qualifying games the whole of the North and West stands are on their feet throughout the match. The family stand and the South are, in general, sitting.

Didn't hear a steward telling anyone to sit last night in the section I was in (D5) and have never heard it during a qualifying match.

I thought most folk knew that was the score, so pointless getting tickets for the North or West and then being surprised / annoyed at folk standing.

Yeah used to be East stand only for children prices and this was better as it would generally create a family section where the North and West stands were predominantly adults who would stand.

Even though in the next couple of years I would look to take my son I would rather they kept the East stand a family stand. I would take him there and when by myself go back to the North stand until he was old enough to join me. 

You will probably see families dotted all around now which makes standing more of a problem.

I know that there is kids tickets available in every stand for next campaign but is there not still a designated family stand where they'll be encouraged kids to go? 

Things won't change with the North Stand, by that I mean everyone will continue to stand so it would be a shame if adults took their wee ones in that stand & had issues with viewing the game. 

I think if you don't want to stand, the family section or the main stand are where you should be looking to sit.

certainly at Motherwell, they have an understanding that the last 2 sections of the East stand, they don't enforce or turn a blind eye to standing.

As above, I read stories of large groups standing in the family section in the last set of qualifiers. That's a bit inconsiderate, but when a few folk stand, it's a domino effect...

If I'm buying a ticket for my 8 year old to see a game,regardless of where it's bought for,I expect him to be able to see the game. 

If someone is constantly standing in front of him,I will annoy them so much that they will probably move,rather than stand there. 

Theres a seat for a reason,it should be used. 

Edited by dandydunn

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

If I'm buying a ticket for my 8 year old to see a game,regardless of where it's bought for,I expect him to be able to see the game. 

If someone is constantly standing in front of him,I will annoy them so much that they will probably move,rather than stand there. 

Theres a seat for a reason,it should be used. 

How exactly are you going to do this if there are 10-20,000 people or so standing in the north or west stand. You might as well put on a yellow jacket and start at the front.

East and south stands are generally where people go, if they wish to sit they should go there. There are sections of stadiums across Europe where fans stand. Same at Hampden. 

For people who want to sit I would recommend the South Stand Upper especially for kids.

I don't understand the whole "big man standing attitude" which I encountered at North Stand. Every domestic club has people sitting. Why do people act differently at Hampden?

It blocks others view. It's dangerous as people fall over seats in front. It doesn't even add to atmosphere necessarily. It some how gives people "a right" to abuse stewards.

2 hours ago, Alan said:

It's dangerous as people fall over seats in front. It doesn't even add to atmosphere necessarily. It some how gives people "a right" to abuse stewards.

That's just a ridiculous statement to make. 

3 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

How exactly are you going to do this if there are 10-20,000 people or so standing in the north or west stand. You might as well put on a yellow jacket and start at the front.

East and south stands are generally where people go, if they wish to sit they should go there. There are sections of stadiums across Europe where fans stand. Same at Hampden. 

By reporting each and every one of them. 

Involving stewards and police if necessary. 

My sons viewing pleasure and safety are no 1 priority to me. 

48 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

By reporting each and every one of them. 

Involving stewards and police if necessary. 

My sons viewing pleasure and safety are no 1 priority to me. 

You sound like a great laugh. You're also talking absolute nonsense. You're going to report 10,000 people, one at a time? Enjoy seeing nothing of the game then!

Or your could just sit in the south stand if you want viewing pleasure and leave the fans who like to stand in other sections and have done for years alone. 

Edited by iainmac1

45 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

You sound like a great laugh. You're also talking absolute nonsense. You're going to report 10,000 people, one at a time? Enjoy seeing nothing of the game then!

Or your could just sit in the south stand if you want viewing pleasure and leave the fans who like to stand in other sections and have done for years alone. 

I've been in the west/north for years. 

If you're happy to be arsey with other fans and ruin their view,then that's up to you. 

As I say,my sons safety is my priority,I won't let anything ruin his day,and I certainly won't be moving stands to allow arrogant people to have their own way. 

20 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

I've been in the west/north for years. 

If you're happy to be arsey with other fans and ruin their view,then that's up to you. 

As I say,my sons safety is my priority,I won't let anything ruin his day,and I certainly won't be moving stands to allow arrogant people to have their own way. 

You have been in the west for years but haven't stood? I find that hard to belive. 

won't be moving stands to allow arrogant people to have their own way. 

So you will force your way on them then? 

That's not arrogant in anyway.

End of the day its an all-seater stadium. If someone asks you to sit down then just suck it up and get on with it and don't be a d1ck with the steward / person asking.

But aye I'd probably not choose the North Stand / North corner of the West if I had little ones with me.

FFS I had to swap rows with my mate in B8 the other night as I couldn't see over his head :lol:

9 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:

You have been in the west for years but haven't stood? I find that hard to belive. 

Agreed.

Making people sit in an all-seater stadium is not arrogant in any way.

14 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:

No. 

I'll obey the regulations of the stadium. 

I also said I've never stood,but if I'm restricting someone's view,I'll do what I can to resolve the situation. 

Furthermore,his first 2 games were Gibraltar and Poland. He comfortably seen the game from the use of his seat. 

Edited by dandydunn