Standing - Page 3 - Scotland Home Games - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Standing

Grantyboy1983

"You must sit down" brigade what a bunch of losers haha get a life!!!   Fact is standing is a better atmosphere and thats what going to football is all about, if you've kids go to the family section, old or just  a moaning H&S loser going to the South Stand

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't need stats when you've experience, been going to games international/club for years.  Standing creates a better atmosphere and anyone that says otherwise is a life bore..." We must only have fun if we follow the rules" losers!!  Can't drink, can't stand, can't sing certain things incase it offends someone....football supposed to be fun not like feeling you back at school!  

14 minutes ago, Radian said:

Don't need stats when you've experience, been going to games international/club for years.  Standing creates a better atmosphere and anyone that says otherwise is a life bore..." 

experience?been going to Scotland games since the late 60,s

Why do you think standing creates a better atmosphere?Why can't the atmosphere be the same or equally as good sitting?

18 hours ago, Langtonian said:

Why and have you got stats/ concrete evidence to substantiate your claim?

not stats as such but I don't think attitudes have changed much from this report being published in 2007.  http://www.fsf.org.uk/media/uploaded/safe-standing-report-web.pdf

think about why the authorities want to enforce standing.  they'd like nothing better than quiet fans sitting and applauding politely.  more money to be made that way if they keep the spectators' passion under wraps.

also, think about why managers stand during matches.  not necessarily to get a better view (as is always pumped out) as they could go sit in the stand.  it's because they are immersed in the experience of the event.  perhaps Jurgen Klopp should be requested to take his seat on the bench?  rather than just cheer politely at the good bits there are a lot of supporters who are immersed in every kick, touch, run and decision and many find it easier to express that on their feet than on their erse.

finally (for now), why is it that the football authorities in England and Scotland are coming round to the idea of trialling safe standing areas?  it's a direct result of football clubs and their fans looking at ways to increase the atmosphere.  Dortmund's stadium is an excellent case in point.  it's the standing in the seated areas that were thrust upon us in a panic to Hillsborough that has made these areas dangerous.

and as Lord Justice Taylor said, "standing is not inherently unsafe".

6 hours ago, Langtonian said:

Thanks for the link TM,interesting read

and dont get me wrong i,m not against standing at football,on the contrary all for it,

It's just my personal opinion having sat and stood at games.  Sitting down is just quite relaxed wheres as standing your almost like on your toes in a sense.  Not sure if that makes sense but my preference is for designated standing areas.

On 8 April 2016 at 10:44 PM, scottincarlisle said:

What will happen to all those fans who sit sleeping throughout matches ? :D

Guilty.

Spiked in Dublin and Luxembourg.

By alcohol.

It was Zicoladud and Jimmys Lassies fault.

The people behind me had a great view of the match.

Positive result for some.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest allyc

The Germans have safe standing areas,the English have been talking about trialing them for years.it is said that a lot of soul was lost from the games cos of the loss of the old terraces.in my experience standing does create a better atmosphere Scotland home games apart.

On 2 May 2016 at 8:11 AM, allyc said:

The Germans have safe standing areas,the English have been talking about trialing them for years.it is said that a lot of soul was lost from the games cos of the loss of the old terraces.in my experience standing does create a better atmosphere Scotland home games apart.

Standing has nothing to do with whether or not the atmosphere is good or not.

The atmosphere at Hampden is determined by three things, whether the ground is full or not, the importance of the game and how well the team is playing. 

Guest allyc

Yes I've had good experiences sitting but standing is better.I'm not using Scotland games in recent years for a yardstick for a decent atmosphere..

• 3 weeks later...

Safe standing is possible and there are allowances for it in the "green guide" safety at sports grounds.This requires safety barriers which are not available in the all seated grounds in Scotland at present. In certain steep stands 'standing is particularly unsafe as the back of the seat in front is so low that a shove from the back can mean falling forward with no ability to save yourself. Hampden has  relatively shallow stands where standing isn't so unsafe. I do not mind standing but appreciate that for children, elderly or infirm fans this can prove difficult as they simply cannot see the game.

Until designated properly designed safe standing is put in place the most that you can hope for is that in certain areas of stands it is tolerated  . To balance this it should be made clear that in other areas the rule   "no standing" is strictly enforced. This should be made clear to fans at the outset and if they go to game and refuse to sit down chuck them out. The family area used to be great when my kids were younger but recently more and more groups of drunk adults with no kids have got tickets there and don't give a toss about others . As long as they can stand ( sway)barge past to get to toilets in a constant relay ,sing (slur) then who cares about the kids behind them ...it's all about the bounce!

In short respect areas of ground where it is established as a sitting area and if you can't either go to another "standing" section of ground or stay in the pub

Have always stood at Hampden in the North Stand and will make no apologies for doing so. It's pretty much known around the regulars that this happens. If I didn't want to stand or if it bothered me, I'd relocate. For me it gives a much better atmosphere and with Celtic Park introducing a safe standing area, this isn't an argument that's going to disappear and the case for a standing section at Hampden is only going to grow if UEFA / FIFA give the OK. 

Almost impossible for stewards to try and enforce. Fair enough in the family section for folk concerned with kids - that's why this area exists!