Left back and height - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Left back and height

er yir macaroon

In the press today Strachan has said he took Tierney off and replaced him with Mulgrew because Fletcher had to go off through illness - leaving Denmark with 8 headers of the ball to our 4. This leads me to think that when the games get serious, especially against the big sides like England, he will either continue with Mulgrew at left back, Whittaker, or Lee Wallace (the better of the three options since he can defend and attack equally well). No place for Tierney or Roberston in these games and you can forget about Shinnie. The alternative would be a bigger midfield but I think he'll look to put height throughout the side. I don't remember a time when our starting 11 was so uncertain. I see certain starts for Hutton, Martin, Hanley, Mulgrew (somewhere), S. Fletcher and Snodgrass. 

That's why Burke and Watt should start to become more regular in their appearances. But I think Gordon also meant that too many of our players are not match fit due to not playing for their clubs enough. So it should be goodbye to the likes of Whittaker, though we can't yet do without Greer. Don't see, though,why Mulgrew will be ahead of Robertson who is not a shortie is he?

I think, even most Celtic fans will agree, Mulgrew should be no-where near left back. I like the look of Tierney from what I've seen. 

Must admit I haven't followed much of Robertson at club level, how is he doing? 

Wallace has been very good for us this season, although it has to be acknowledged, that he isn't really being tested, from a defensive point of view, for sustained periods. Start of next season will be important for him in terms of call-ups. 

"We had to take Kieran off at half-time to put Charlie Mulgrew on because Steven Fletcher wasn’t feeling well. When he came off we only had four headers of the ball compared to their eight.”
Read more at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gordon-strachan-danes-dwarfed-kieran-7658703#5ud9iUQmxsv4CPWj.99

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

In the press today Strachan has said he took Tierney off and replaced him with Mulgrew because Fletcher had to go off through illness - leaving Denmark with 8 headers of the ball to our 4. This leads me to think that when the games get serious, especially against the big sides like England, he will either continue with Mulgrew at left back, Whittaker, or Lee Wallace (the better of the three options since he can defend and attack equally well). No place for Tierney or Roberston in these games and you can forget about Shinnie. The alternative would be a bigger midfield but I think he'll look to put height throughout the side. I don't remember a time when our starting 11 was so uncertain. I see certain starts for Hutton, Martin, Hanley, Mulgrew (somewhere), S. Fletcher and Snodgrass. 

Shinnie has played centre half.  He's good in the air.  Being good in the air is about timing and desire, not just height.  Seen plenty of 6ft odd lads become about 5ft 5" when they jump for the ball.  Strachan clearly listening to McMoron too much - more fool him.

This stuff "in the press" (if true) is a real concern. Who cares if Denmark have 8 headers of the ball to our 4.  All you need is 3 or 4 in your own team to zonal mark in the box.  Does Strachan seriously identify "headers" of the ball and set out our team and tactics based on this??  Surely not.  I'd be more worried about the fact that Mulgrew looks like Bambi on ice on the deck and that any half respectable wide player will beat him easily and get a cross in.  Also inhibits us going forward using the likes of Mulgrew at full back.

4 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

Have to say that's a pretty ridiculous approach. I realise we need to be weary of opposition threat, but surely, against Denmark, we should be looking to take the game to them? 

Of course, we won the game, so they can point to that. 

We won the game, but let's not pretend that we deserved to.

For me, this is just another example of Strachan's often bizarre reasoning.

If he hooks Tierney at half-time because he considers him 'not big enough for international football', then why give him a start in the first place ? It looks as well that Strchan has his doubts about Robertson (a TAMB favourite) for exactly the same reasons.

I was just wondering why the OP considers Wallace good enough, but not Shinnie (who's also a very attacking full-back).

7 minutes ago, Rossy said:

If he hooks Tierney at half-time because he considers him 'not big enough for international football', then why give him a start in the first place ? It looks as well that Strchan has his doubts about Robertson (a TAMB favourite) for exactly the same reasons.

I was just wondering why the OP considers Wallace good enough, but not Shinnie (who's also a very attacking full-back).

Don't shoot the messenger. Shinnie 5th 9, Lee Wallace 6ft 1. There are practicalities here and I can understand Strachan's logic. If we concede soft goals at free kicks and corners against big teams all the other effort is wasted (Remember England at Wembley?). Strachan was keen to stress players would still be picked on ability.

6 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Aye agreed.

Regarding Shinnie, I mind commenting on him a few weeks back as being your best player on the pitch. I was sure he was playing in midfield in that game though, or have I imagined that? 

51 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Robertson and Tierney are both the same height. I think this reveals a lot about Strachan's intentions for the next campaign. Totally agree we need Watt and Burke involved if their form merits it.

According to Wiki Gibbs, Rose and Baines are same height or smaller so it's about a lack of height throughout the team rather than just in that one position.  Can't help thinking I'd prefer Messi to Kevin Kyle though.

6 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

According to Wiki Gibbs, Rose and Baines are same height or smaller so it's about a lack of height throughout the team rather than just in that one position.  Can't help thinking I'd prefer Messi to Kevin Kyle though.

No argument there. If we are to retain our smaller technical players we need to make sacrifices elsewhere. If we play Watt, Fletcher and Burke upfront and Mulgrew in midfield, fill your boots!

15 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

Aye agreed.

Regarding Shinnie, I mind commenting on him a few weeks back as being your best player on the pitch. I was sure he was playing in midfield in that game though, or have I imagined that? 

The problem we've got with Shinnie is that he's an outstanding full back but also our best midfielder.  I'd go as far as to say he's the best player the Dons have had for a considerable number of years.  .

22 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Don't shoot the messenger. Shinnie 5th 9, Lee Wallace 6ft 1. There are practicalities here and I can understand Strachan's logic. If we concede soft goals at free kicks and corners against big teams all the other effort is wasted (Remember England at Wembley?). Strachan was keen to stress players would still be picked on ability.

So let's just have a team of basketball players then?  I'm sorry, but there's no logic in this at all, it's utter nonsense and it really concerns me that the manager of our national team thinks in such a way. It's basic.

Bit of a simplistic way of looking at it from the OP. 

I accept that on Tuesday Strachan decided to switch Tierney to increase the height in our team but on another day it could have been a number of other switches e.g. Mulgrew for McGinn, Griffiths for Martin, Maloney for an equally effective corner flag. 

It's not specifically height at left back that Strachan wanted, rather height in the team. I think most would accept that Steven Fletcher will play every game, plus Darren Fletcher should play. Add these two in and you have another 2 foot plus players on the park.

It's a non-issue. 

5 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

So let's just have a team of basketball players then?  I'm sorry, but there's no logic in this at all, it's utter nonsense and it really concerns me that the manager of our national team thinks in such a way. It's basic.

I'd be surprised if any top flight football manager doesn't think that way.

4 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I'd be surprised if any top flight football manager doesn't think that way.

I realise you are the messenger here so not having a dig at you.  Of course any decent manager identifies aerial threats.  However, not in the way suggested above.  The way to deal with this is at source - prevention, not cure.  You certainly don't go picking an entire team around how many "headers" the opposition has.  Any decent manager now also knows that the position of full back has changed markedly over the last 10 years.  Not longer the position for some lanky lad with limited ability (Exhibit A - the lad Forsyth).  It's a position in which good teams excel.

16 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Bit of a simplistic way of looking at it from the OP. 

I accept that on Tuesday Strachan decided to switch Tierney to increase the height in our team but on another day it could have been a number of other switches e.g. Mulgrew for McGinn, Griffiths for Martin, Maloney for an equally effective corner flag. 

It's not specifically height at left back that Strachan wanted, rather height in the team. I think most would accept that Steven Fletcher will play every game, plus Darren Fletcher should play. Add these two in and you have another 2 foot plus players on the park.

It's a non-issue. 

If both Fletchers have suddenly shrunk to 2 foot, I think it could be a fairly serious issue. And anybody who has ever seen him play, knows that Steven only has the one foot.

Forsyth is rotten. Strength, pace and height are all very important now though, more than ever. Strachan's said our wee players have to be exceptional if lacking in physicality and sadly it's true. That doesn't mean brining in big oafs, we just need to get the balance right. There's still room for Gauld and the like in my book, but I don't want to see us bullied and conceding soft goals. 

Hope I'm not contradicting myself earlier which was a general point about height of any individual full back but it's perfectly legitimate to make a substitution with physicaliity in mind, Ferguson famously took off Stuart Kennedy and switched big Doug Rougvie over in the semi final against Bayern, wasn't a popular move with fans who rightly regarded Kennedy as the better footballer but was effective.

Edited by Hertsscot