Falklands - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I see the UN have came to a conclusion that the falklands lie within Argentine territory,, so where does that leave the islands? Can the brittish government just ignore the ruling or will they have to give up the territory??? I suppose this ruling may well be a blow for unionists who put up the stupid argument about orkney and shetland remaining part of the uk if independence does happens,, does this confirm the would be enclaved? 

http://www.globalresearch.ca/united-nations-declares-falkland-islands-argentinian-territory/5517202

Edited by hampden_loon2878

11 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Could be wrong but think there was a poll sometime ago that had the majority wanting to remain British 

I dare say, but with the vast majority being of British descent that is not exactly surprising.

I wonder how many people of Argentinian descent live there, considering it is pretty close by? Could it be control of the natural resources rather than the population that the British government is concerned about losing?

although I know britain has artificially stacked the place with people since the Falklands war I still believe that its up to the islanders. even before the war the islanders obviously wanted to be (puke) british. Up to them and no-one else. It was once said that Argentina should send a boat of women over to the island and that theyd all be Argentinian in a generation.

10 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Has there been any luck in finding this massive untapped oil field that is hidden within the area that the UK Government have been saying they are on the brink of finding for the last 20 years?

Thought oil was worthless these days?

I used to work with a woman who was from the Falklands, her family were still there and had been for generations.

She was the only person I'd ever met at that time who described her nationality as British though.   

Its a bit more nuanced than that .   The population are almost exclusively of British origin but politically being a UK dependency - or whatever it is they technically are - guarantees the status quo and independence of the Islands in the day to day sense.  If they were governed from Buenos Aires they would be absorbed into the Argentinian state and would lose their autonomy.

17 minutes ago, bonzo said:

They cannae they scrapped their aircraft carriers remember?

They have the shiny new one.... tho no got a fighter to fly aff it as the F-35 is the fighter equivalent of the emperors new clothes.. 

13 minutes ago, Mark frae Crieff said:

They have the shiny new one.... tho no got a fighter to fly aff it as the F-35 is the fighter equivalent of the emperors new clothes.. 

Hahaha didnae think the new wan was finished. 

2 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Go to Rosyth, have a look. Cracking on with the second one as well.

J

My company is working on the carrier and my pal was saying its a good bit behind as people keep sabotaging parts of the workscope to keep the job going longer   

Edited by hampden_loon2878

20 hours ago, northernscum said:

I wonder how many people of Argentinian descent live there, considering it is pretty close by?

:blink: The Falklands are as far off the Argentine coast as the Faroes are from the north coast of Scotland.

London is closer to Minsk than Beunos Aires is to Port Stanley!

10 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

:blink: The Falklands are as far off the Argentine coast as the Faroes are from the north coast of Scotland.

London is closer to Minsk than Beunos Aires is to Port Stanley!

I was meaning in comparison to the UK. I didn't mean within swimming distance!

15 minutes ago, northernscum said:

I was meaning in comparison to the UK. I didn't mean within swimming distance!

Fair doos. Although it's really just a quirk of Britain's colonial past, just as Argentina is a quirk of Spain's colonial past...

11 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Fair doos. Although it's really just a quirk of Britain's colonial past, just as Argentina is a quirk of Spain's colonial past...

Spain don't keep claiming Argentina as their territory though.

J