Camping ideas - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Just bought a new family tent and looking at ideas for a campsite in the summer. Looking for somewhere around Stirling, most central place to stay, or maybe near Loch Lomond. The tent is pretty big so wanting somewhere where we can pitch and stay for 5-7 days.

Ideally have electric hook up and good toilet/shower facilities.

Witches Craig campsite welcome tents. right under the Wallace Monument

would be my first choice.

Balgair Holiday park Nr Fintry is also tent friendly 

A lot of sites no longer take tents unfortunately 

The Woods at Balloch is also giuid, not sure about tents tho

Favourite campsite is Glenmore near Aviemore. Have taken my wee sisters and niece and nephew here over the years and they've all loved it. Right beside Loch Morlich and forest walk. Loads to see and do and so much wildlife. 

Went camping to Loch Lomond once and never again. I'd never understood all the moans about midgies before but after that weekend I will never disregard them again. 4 of us and a dog were there, 2 ended up having blood tests for Lymes disease, luckily they were clear and it was just bad reaction to the amount of bites, my wee dog was covered in ticks and I got very drunk on last night as I was so miserable and pissed off everyone neatly as much as the midgies. 

My auntie lives near Stirling so if campsite is rotten you could pop in for a cup of tea.

Edited by G-Man

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Went camping to Loch Lomond once and never again. I'd never understood all the moans about midgies before but after that weekend I will never disregard them again. 4 of us and a dog were there, 2 ended up having blood tests for Lymes disease, luckily they were clear and it was just bad reaction to the amount of bites, my wee dog was covered in ticks

U get Lymes from Ticks, now I know the Midgise are bad at Loch Lomond but surely they werent that big...

Witches Craig is a 5 star Park , 

Pine Trees in Tyndrum is another fantastic park as is Keltie Bridge in Callander. 

Depends where you want to be.

6 hours ago, stocky said:

U get Lymes from Ticks, now I know the Midgise are bad at Loch Lomond but surely they werent that big..

The midgies bit that much that the bites became infected and the 2 people were quite ill so doctor worried that hidden among the midgie bites there may have been a wee tick bite.

It was shortly after that trip I bit into a tick thinking it was a wee blue button. I've no idea why I felt the need to bite a wee blue button that was lying on the floor but I'll never do it again. I can't be as definite with other colours though. 

9 hours ago, G-Man said:

It was shortly after that trip I bit into a tick thinking it was a wee blue button. I've no idea why I felt the need to bite a wee blue button that was lying on the floor but I'll never do it again.

I'm so glad that i'm not the only one that, for reasons they cannot explain, has picked something up and bit it as a way of identifying it.

6 hours ago, phart said:

I'm so glad that i'm not the only one that, for reasons they cannot explain, has picked something up and bit it as a way of identifying it.

Come on more info', surely can't be worse than admitting biting into a blood filled tick??

As a child I used to spend a lot of time at Stobhill hospital having items removed from my nostrils. Particular favourites were dried peas. After a family party where this predilection was again brought up I went home and while sitting on the couch watching tv and eating a packet of sweeties I started to wonder why I so enjoyed sticking things in my nose. So one wee sweetie up one nostril, nothing. Another up the other nostril, again nothing. Laughed at myself, breathed in and fu' cking nearly shit myself when they both moved upwards. Took ages and lots of tears and my neighbour and her boyfriend laughing at me while holding top of my nose and telling me to blow then having to use a crochet needle/tool to remove them. And after all that I was still no closer to understanding the appeal. 

This has hee haw to do with campsites but I'm quite bored and have just finished book I've been enjoying. 

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Come on more info', surely can't be worse than admitting biting into a blood filled tick??

As a child I used to spend a lot of time at Stobhill hospital having items removed from my nostrils. Particular favourites were dried peas. After a family party where this predilection was again brought up I went home and while sitting on the couch watching tv and eating a packet of sweeties I started to wonder why I so enjoyed sticking things in my nose. So one wee sweetie up one nostril, nothing. Another up the other nostril, again nothing. Laughed at myself, breathed in and fu' cking nearly shit myself when they both moved upwards. Took ages and lots of tears and my neighbour and her boyfriend laughing at me while holding top of my nose and telling me to blow then having to use a crochet needle/tool to remove them. And after all that I was still no closer to understanding the appeal. 

This has hee haw to do with campsites but I'm quite bored and have just finished book I've been enjoying. 

:lol:

On 02/04/2016 at 7:10 PM, G-Man said:

Dried shite once, was far softer inside that the hard exterior led me to believe.

On 01/04/2016 at 7:59 PM, stocky said:

U get Lymes from Ticks, now I know the Midgise are bad at Loch Lomond but surely they werent that big...

Witches Craig is a 5 star Park , 

Pine Trees in Tyndrum is another fantastic park as is Keltie Bridge in Callander. 

Depends where you want to be.

On 01/04/2016 at 4:21 PM, stocky said:

Witches Craig campsite welcome tents. right under the Wallace Monument

would be my first choice.

Balgair Holiday park Nr Fintry is also tent friendly 

A lot of sites no longer take tents unfortunately 

The Woods at Balloch is also giuid, not sure about tents tho

All of these are good shouts. Balgair has changed its name to Campsie Glen now, although still owned by the same company. All of their parks are excellent, run by very good people. 

On 01/04/2016 at 2:01 PM, ibelieve!!! said:

Just bought a new family tent and looking at ideas for a campsite in the summer. Looking for somewhere around Stirling, most central place to stay, or maybe near Loch Lomond. The tent is pretty big so wanting somewhere where we can pitch and stay for 5-7 days.

Ideally have electric hook up and good toilet/shower facilities.

We camped at the Trossachs Holiday Park in Aberfoyle last summer. Can highly recommend it. They don't have a massive area for tents but our 6 man tent fitted no bother. My 2 boys had a great time apart from the midges. 

Comrie and Thornhill are nice villages near Stirling where you can camp and enjoy a pint in the village pubs.  They don't have much facilities other than basic toilet/shower.  For something more fancy you would need to book Faskally near Pitlochry which has a swimming pool, or near Loch Lomond, Immervoulin in Strathyre is a good central location with good facilities.  Personally, I would always go coastal as the sea breezes keep the midges down and the sunsets on the West Coast are great with options for making fires on the beach, etc.

20 hours ago, phart said:

Dried shite once, was far softer inside that the hard exterior led me to believe.

Bloody hell, that's a belter. Been reading about someone on telly who admitted eating thrown away chewing gum and I used to do that. Dirt and plants were a big favourite too. Just a minging, manky wee wean in fact. 

Potted Heid, I was going to add my tuppence worth about Faskally as I've been there a few times and last visit was horrible. Dirty and full of drunks in the tented area, around the shop and washing area was full of wee needs and toilets were disgusting. It's been years since I was just there though so thought  I'd check out website to make sure I had the right place and looks like it's had a big makeover, with pool and restaurant. Not too far away us this nice site too. http://www.blaircastlecaravanpark.co.uk

40 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Bloody hell, that's a belter. Been reading about someone on telly who admitted eating thrown away chewing gum and I used to do that. Dirt and plants were a big favourite too. Just a minging, manky wee wean in fact. 

Potted Heid, I was going to add my tuppence worth about Faskally as I've been there a few times and last visit was horrible. Dirty and full of drunks in the tented area, around the shop and washing area was full of wee needs and toilets were disgusting. It's been years since I was just there though so thought  I'd check out website to make sure I had the right place and looks like it's had a big makeover, with pool and restaurant. Not too far away us this nice site too. http://www.blaircastlecaravanpark.co.uk

Aye Faskally is certainly well run now. Two brothers that have got it. Decent lads. 

1 hour ago, Angus_Young said:

Aye Faskally is certainly well run now. Two brothers that have got it. Decent lads. 

Good to know, as I've friends who are looking for a nice site for their first family camping holiday.  Do you know if you still have to pitch tents in the one area, they had this when I went but I didn't realise and pitched near fence along the road next to caravans and much preferred it? I did it other visits and got away with it but may be stricter now. 

19 hours ago, G-Man said:

I used to chew discarded chewing gum too.    I also bit into a bug (wood lice) thinking it was the base of one of those wee toy soldiers :unsure:

23 hours ago, G-Man said:

Yes, G-man, I think that was its rep a while ago and then they brought in a no same sex groups rule and spruced it up a bit.  I've been there twice over the last five years and it has been fine with a bar and pool.  I agree that the Blair Atholl site is nicer and good if you have young children as it has a big play area in the middle and is close to the village and nice walks, etc.

Angus, the children are 2 and other will be born in June! They have there own tent and I thought maybe the pool would be good for the 2 year old. To be honest I don't think they'll be up for camping in August but as I say, she's scary so I'm not saying that to her.  :mellow: 

Potted heid,  best memory of Blair Atholl is watching the salmon swimming upriver to spawn. That in itself was amazing but as a few spectators were walking away from the river 2 guys were walking down to it carrying fishing rods, the muttered abuse they received amused me no end. 

Mindi, I've spoken to a few people recently who've admitted to eating spat out chewing gum. Nice to know there's more than one manky bam around. :blink: So between Phart's poo, my tick, your slater and the gum picker uppers I think we could start a club and we could be on board of directors. HQ in Panama.