Rangers 2015/16 championship champions - Page 7 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rangers 2015/16 championship champions

16 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

Personally I think us being back in the league will make it more competitive. The gap between Celtic and the rest of the league has narrowed and we won't simply come back in and run away with anything. What we will do is compete at the top end of the table, which means more points being taken off each other.  You would hope that would have a knock on effect. 

I agree with you about the standard, it's fairly obvious it has dropped in the last decade. 

Rangers might add to competitiveness of the league though that'll probably be for 2nd, 3rd or 4th they won't improve the  quality that's an issues that influenced by a wide range of factors that both the clubs and governing body seem unable or unwilling to address.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, thewolf_1980 said:

It will be completely normal I suspect, with no boycotts unless something else happens in the interim. I hope it won't.

Did you hear Stuart McCall on Radio Scotland the other day? He said that Motherwell, simply by playing two home games against Rangers, generated £250k extra revenue per season on ticket sales and hospitality, or "two players" as he put it. For that reason alone, clubs would welcome us back.

Boycotts won't happen. I would wager we will sell out every away allocation next season. 

Think the vast majority would welcome a change to one home and one away game each season.

Wish we would just get on with league reconstruction now- some of the football and games with Hibs, Raith and Falkirk have been cracking this year, and all three of those would add to the premiership (noting obviously that turkeys don't vote for Christmas).

Anyway with us going back up, one of the best parts of the week has been the reaction from the usual bloggers on twitter. Some amazing stuff coming out- cheered me up no end' :lol:

7 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Think the vast majority would welcome a change to one home and one away game each season.

Wish we would just get on with league reconstruction now- some of the football and games with Hibs, Raith and Falkirk have been cracking this year, and all three of those would add to the premiership (noting obviously that turkeys don't vote for Christmas).

Absolutely hopefully if Hibs have to spend another season in the Championship along with United and (shudder) Killie in there too it'll hasten the calls for reconstruction.

Put it this way it's not Inconceivable that Raith could get promoted along with Rangers and next year's Championship contains:-

Hibs

Dundee Utd

Killie

St Mirren

Falkirk

Morton

Dunfermline

Ayr Utd

QOS

Livingston

Tough old division that!

3 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

I don't understand your point at all unfortunately. In what way are we currently sensitive? All I see at the moment are fans happy about our team and club and looking forward to next season. I haven't seen any particular sensitivity because we have nothing in particular to be sensitive about at the moment. If you had posted that two years ago, you might've had a point but it doesn't make sense at the moment.

Quite disappointed to read the negativity towards us actually. People resorting to opinions on past behaviours without giving us the opportunity to show what we are now all about, both on and off the field. I'm not naive enough to suggest that some of our fans won't occasionally be arseholes but criticising them before they do anything is rather unfair. How dare we get promoted and usurp the  league's sudden competitiveness. That's sport unfortunately.

Paul Murray said the other day that we have received congratulations from other clubs because of the way we have rebuilt 'friendships' at board level and started being a proper club again. If doing that makes us unwelcome, then truly we can't win.

Wolfy, re the negativity, you give your own fellow supporters too much credit. The majority of them are not like yourself unfortunately. If they were I think your club might find the welcome a bit warmer.

Edited by ShedTA

36 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Absolutely hopefully if Hibs have to spend another season in the Championship along with United and (shudder) Killie in there too it'll hasten the calls for reconstruction.

Put it this way it's not Inconceivable that Raith could get promoted along with Rangers and next year's Championship contains:-

Hibs

Dundee Utd

Killie

St Mirren

Falkirk

Morton

Dunfermline

Ayr Utd

QOS

Livingston

Tough old division that!

Agreed. Morton have impressed me as well this season. If they can keep their team together from this year, they will undoubtedly pose a threat.

3 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

I don't understand your point at all unfortunately. In what way are we currently sensitive? All I see at the moment are fans happy about our team and club and looking forward to next season. I haven't seen any particular sensitivity because we have nothing in particular to be sensitive about at the moment. If you had posted that two years ago, you might've had a point but it doesn't make sense at the moment.

Quite disappointed to read the negativity towards us actually. People resorting to opinions on past behaviours without giving us the opportunity to show what we are now all about, both on and off the field. I'm not naive enough to suggest that some of our fans won't occasionally be arseholes but criticising them before they do anything is rather unfair. How dare we get promoted and usurp the  league's sudden competitiveness. That's sport unfortunately.

Paul Murray said the other day that we have received congratulations from other clubs because of the way we have rebuilt 'friendships' at board level and started being a proper club again. If doing that makes us unwelcome, then truly we can't win.

This was my point alluded to but not stated.

5 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

good points all round as usual Wolfie

It is just as well for Rangers the standard has fallen, it means they dont have high to go to reach the top...

Rangers will do a Hearts next year I think, with a better cup run. And i think most bears will be happy with that. 

However most fans will wait till Rangers play at their stadiums and see what the Fans attitude is and how much sectarian signing still exists. 

Thats just the way it is.

No doubt there will be a lot of singing and banners towards Rangers, hopefully some will be funny and not just them singing the Cranberries song.

No doubt they will also be watching the Cup Final on Sunday to hear what 50 odd thousand fans are singing.

It would be g reat if you guys could get thru sunday and show the world the new, attitude, new songs, new playing style  etc

2 hours ago, stocky said:

good points all round as usual Wolfie

It is just as well for Rangers the standard has fallen, it means they dont have high to go to reach the top...

Rangers will do a Hearts next year I think, with a better cup run. And i think most bears will be happy with that. 

However most fans will wait till Rangers play at their stadiums and see what the Fans attitude is and how much sectarian signing still exists. 

Thats just the way it is.

No doubt there will be a lot of singing and banners towards Rangers, hopefully some will be funny and not just them singing the Cranberries song.

No doubt they will also be watching the Cup Final on Sunday to hear what 50 odd thousand fans are singing.

It would be g reat if you guys could get thru sunday and show the world the new, attitude, new songs, new playing style  etc

just checking. What songs are we allowed to sing?

aye. I agree mate. Every one of the guys I know that have kept following rangers in my opinion deserve congratulations for following their team. Like all on here of there own teams of all clubs. The decent ones but lets not remember the bad, that's too easy. Remember the good. We are a small nation and will rise again like the sun. Scotland. Sorry to offend parkie again that will me talking fish. Terrible when u talk positive on this board.

15 hours ago, Fermer said:

aye. I agree mate. Every one of the guys I know that have kept following rangers in my opinion deserve congratulations for following their team. Like all on here of there own teams of all clubs. The decent ones but lets not remember the bad, that's too easy. Remember the good. We are a small nation and will rise again like the sun. Scotland. Sorry to offend parkie again that will me talking fish. Terrible when u talk positive on this board.

why should anyone get congratulations for following their team? you should follow them regardless of the situation, its not an achievement

Having watched the 2nd and 3Rd best teams in the top league last night I think next season will be very interesting. 

If we can get a few decent signings we can be in the mix and maybe one of the three can catch Celtic. 

It may depend on who manages Celtic next season though.

54 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Having watched the 2nd and 3Rd best teams in the top league last night I think next season will be very interesting. 

If we can get a few decent signings we can be in the mix and maybe one of the three can catch Celtic. 

It may depend on who manages Celtic next season though.

If there are good odds for Rangers to win just now then I would get on them, celtic are very poor and if Ronnie stays then Rangers have every chance of winning it,

Ii think the difference between the dross in the premier league and the top of the first division has closed this season.

Hibs, although being Hibs, will beat dundee united by a couple of goals next week and I can see two existing teams dropping out the premier this season, united and one A.N. other FC.

On 4/8/2016 at 7:52 PM, Toepoke said:

Hibs

Dundee Utd

Killie

St Mirren

Falkirk

Morton

Dunfermline

Ayr Utd

QOS

Livingston

Tough old division that!

That could be a tough league to get out of, and stay in, if it eventuates.

On 9 April 2016 at 11:55 AM, Kirk said:

If there are good odds for Rangers to win just now then I would get on them, celtic are very poor and if Ronnie stays then Rangers have every chance of winning it,

Heavy lolz.

3 hours ago, Lamia said:

If you don't know what is acceptable and what isn't by now that says a lot about you. 

That's it really. Just about everyone knows what is and isn't acceptable, decent folk don't need legislation or a message board to tell them.

37 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

That's it really. Just about everyone knows what is and isn't acceptable, decent folk don't need legislation or a message board to tell them.

I don't think they do. Some fans get offended at the sight of the Union Flag ? Derry Walls and Follow Follow are superb terrace chants. Any abuse of religion is a no no.

Edited by EddardStark

They do know though, which is why they choose to sing the songs in the first place. But you are right, too many folk allow themselves to get offended for no good reason, which is just letting the arseholes set the agenda. I remember in a previous job (over 10 years back now) drawing the short straw and being delegated to take some customers (Rangers fans) to a Hibs vs Rangers League (maybe even CIS) Cup game at Easter Road. That couple of hours in amongst the Rangers away support was genuine torture. What struck me was that chatting away to some of the folk around me before kick-off they seemed reasonable, but as soon as the game got going too many turned into idiots, letting rip with the party songs. At half-time a few wee neds in the main stand came right up to the bit of the stand next to the away support and started flourishing a tri-colour. There was a guy near me, middle-aged, in a business suit, who was so enraged, screaming at the police to do something, just generally howling rage at the world really, that I honestly thought he was going to have a heart attack. I've rarely seen anyone so angry, just because a few wee scrots were waving a flag 50 yards away.

Edited by Pool Q

On 8 April 2016 at 5:47 PM, EddardStark said:

just checking. What songs are we allowed to sing?

The problem with such songs is the "add ons".

Derrys wall just has no place at a football ground in my eyes. It's not offensive, and I would even concede it can be pretty rousing.

(one of my favourite Motherwell songs is "muff diver", but it's probably inappropriate and offensive! :lol: )

18 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

They do know though, which is why they choose to sing the songs in the first place. But you are right, too many folk allow themselves to get offended for no good reason, which is just letting the arseholes set the agenda. I remember in a previous job (over 10 years back now) drawing the short straw and being delegated to take some customers (Rangers fans) to a Hibs vs Rangers League (maybe even CIS) Cup game at Easter Road. That couple of hours in amongst the Rangers away support was genuine torture. What struck me was that chatting away to some of the folk around me before kick-off they seemed reasonable, but as soon as the game got going too many turned into idiots, letting rip with the party songs. At half-time a few wee neds in the main stand came right up to the bit of the stand next to the away support and started flourishing a tri-colour. There was a guy near me, middle-aged, in a business suit, who was so enraged, screaming at the police to do something, just generally howling rage at the world really, that I honestly thought he was going to have a heart attack. I've rarely seen anyone so angry, just because a few wee scrots were waving a flag 50 yards away.

Maybe you fed them too much bevvy?

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Maybe you fed them too much bevvy?

Possibly, I'm always generous to a fault with the bevvy when it's not my money.  In point of fact though the particular roaster I described wasn't one of my guests just a random fandango in the ground. In any case drink is no excuse.

Edited by Pool Q