Sackie MacNamara - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Win ratio of 15% since his time here at York. We were kacke before he came, but he has overseen us plummet to new depths of rubbishness and imminent relegation after years of struggling to get out of the tinpot conference. Now we're on our way back. On top of that our idiot chairman decides to give him next season as well.

Utterly scunnered. Please, someone, anyone, take him off our hands :-( 

20 minutes ago, Tartan Tarantula said:

Win ratio of 15% since his time here at York. We were kacke before he came, but he has overseen us plummet to new depths of rubbishness and imminent relegation after years of struggling to get out of the tinpot conference. Now we're on our way back. On top of that our idiot chairman decides to give him next season as well.

Utterly scunnered. Please, someone, anyone, take him off our hands :-( 

Not us - you are on your own ;)

Any decent person would walk with shame but not oor Jackie.  

His ambition is about how much money he can make and not to manage Scotland or Celtic or whatever his dreams are.

I'm going to defend him.  He had United playing the best attacking football at Tannadice in twenty years.  There was that run of seven straight games where the team scored four or more goals.

A couple of times it looked as though there was the outside chance of a genuine title challenge.  He discovered Andy Robertson when Celtic had let him go and Rangers played against him four times and didn't notice him.  He found Ciftci who was tremendous for Utd, and then made us over £1m when he left   

However, he was a terrible manager in a crisis.  He had no idea how to win dirty or play against teams like St Johnstone who weren't going to stand back and applaud while you tore them to pieces.  And his attempts to rebuild after Armstrong and GMS left were catastrophic.  He'd probably do a good job for Celtic who just attack all the time, but be woeful at Hamilton or similar. 

11 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I'm going to defend him.  He had United playing the best attacking football at Tannadice in twenty years.  There was that run of seven straight games where the team scored four or more goals.

A couple of times it looked as though there was the outside chance of a genuine title challenge.  He discovered Andy Robertson when Celtic had let him go and Rangers played against him four times and didn't notice him.  He found Ciftci who was tremendous for Utd, and then made us over £1m when he left   

However, he was a terrible manager in a crisis.  He had no idea how to win dirty or play against teams like St Johnstone who weren't going to stand back and applaud while you tore them to pieces.  And his attempts to rebuild after Armstrong and GMS left were catastrophic.  He'd probably do a good job for Celtic who just attack all the time, but be woeful at Hamilton or similar. 

Dont entirely disagree but the caveat to that is that i often wonder what a better manager might have done with the players we had. Granted he played them and gave them an opportunity but his tactics on many occasions cost us. 

Well, Houston had Gauld, GMS and Armstrong, and he had Johnny Russell as well and it was turgid stuff by the time he left.  Was it Caley Thistle we drew 4-4 with at Tannadice around Christmas time when we were 3-0 up in nine minutes and then just horrible for the next 81 minutes?

I was at first sad to see him leave Thistle but he did have an incredibly poor record away from home the year we came up. 

My main gripe with him leaving was that it was in the middle of a promotion push and I was worried it would upset the harmony and cost us promotion.

However Archibald came in and then did a better job both home and away and ensured our promotion to the Premiership and seems to have proven himself as a better manager than Jackie Mac too. 

Jackie Mac also had all the nonsense with bonus claims for his part in the promotion as well as the compensation saga etc and that left an even more bitter taste with Thistle fans, I have never wished him well since and although I feel sorry for York and their fans I wish no success for Jackie Mac what so ever!!

OLAS is right, all about the money!!!!!