Alan Hutton - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

From what I watched on MOTD - he was absolute rank today. Complete lack of interest as a defender - he was really poor - then got himself sent off with two silly needless fouls. His defending always has been suspect - he gets by on his attacking ability - but today a very shoddy amateurish performance,

He'll be back at Sevco before the start of next season.   

I don't dislike Hutton, but I don't rate him any more.    I hope he does the honourable thing and not officially retire from international football but rather via the selection process.

He's only scored 5 goals in his whole professional career.  That's quite the stat for a player who'll be mostly remembered for charging forward at every opportunity. 

1 hour ago, OLAS said:

He'll be back at Sevco before the start of next season.   

I don't dislike Hutton, but I don't rate him any more.    I hope he does the honourable thing and not officially retire from international football but rather via the selection process.

He's only scored 5 goals in his whole professional career.  That's quite the stat for a player who'll be mostly remembered for charging forward at every opportunity. 

Absolutely no chance he'll be at Ibrox next season. 

9 hours ago, Dave in London said:

Worst Spurs player in memory.

Come on you've had plenty worse - he doesn't even make it into this list http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1844635-the-20-worst-tottenham-hotspur-signings-of-the-premier-league-era

I always thought it was a strange signing at the time.  Presumably Ramos had some sort of plan in place but as anyone who's watched Hutton knew, his strength was going forwards rather than defending.  If you are going to use Hutton to his best effect, then you need to have a right midfielder that will be prepared to sit in and track back when Hutton overlaps.  What you don't do is play Aaron Lennon.  Similarly if you want to play Aaron Lennon, you don't have Hutton as his full back.

Presumably Harry Redknapp understood this as he binned Hutton when he took over. 

A lot of people with short memories and/or letting club loyalties cloud their judgement. For a few years Hutton was amongst our better players, if not our best, and there was a time when "if Hutton plays well, Scotland play well".  Granted that a full back could be the best player probably says much about the state of Scottish football during the last 10 years or so.

He's been far from his best for a while now - funnily he played better for us when he was out of the Villa team than at the moment when he's playing every week - if there were a better option, I'm sure he would have been replaced but you can hardly hold him responsible for the lack of development of Scottish right backs.

13 minutes ago, aaid said:

Come on you've had plenty worse - he doesn't even make it into this list http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1844635-the-20-worst-tottenham-hotspur-signings-of-the-premier-league-era

I always thought it was a strange signing at the time.  Presumably Ramos had some sort of plan in place but as anyone who's watched Hutton knew, his strength was going forwards rather than defending.  If you are going to use Hutton to his best effect, then you need to have a right midfielder that will be prepared to sit in and track back when Hutton overlaps.  What you don't do is play Aaron Lennon.  Similarly if you want to play Aaron Lennon, you don't have Hutton as his full back.

Presumably Harry Redknapp understood this as he binned Hutton when he took over. 

A lot of people with short memories and/or letting club loyalties cloud their judgement. For a few years Hutton was amongst our better players, if not our best, and there was a time when "if Hutton plays well, Scotland play well".  Granted that a full back could be the best player probably says much about the state of Scottish football during the last 10 years or so.

He's been far from his best for a while now - funnily he played better for us when he was out of the Villa team than at the moment when he's playing every week - if there were a better option, I'm sure he would have been replaced but you can hardly hold him responsible for the lack of development of Scottish right backs.

I concur.

5 minutes ago, fringo said:

I concur.

He was definitely one of my favourite Scotland players around the Euro 2008 campaign but it can't be denied that he's been shite for a while now.  Can't believe he's never scored for Scotland though seeing his overall record it's maybe not too surprising.

He gave us this moment though which is fantastic.

12 minutes ago, Stewart_Aberdeen said:

He was definitely one of my favourite Scotland players around the Euro 2008 campaign but it can't be denied that he's been shite for a while now.  Can't believe he's never scored for Scotland though seeing his overall record it's maybe not too surprising.

He gave us this moment though which is fantastic.

:lol:

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Agree with this.

Hutton has become a target for the boo boys and girls on here simply because there isn't any decent competition for his position in the team.

He has been an excellent servant for Scotland and was still a key player for us in the last campaign.

3 hours ago, Goozay said:

Agree with this.

Hutton has become a target for the boo boys and girls on here simply because there isn't any decent competition for his position in the team.

He has been an excellent servant for Scotland and was still a key player for us in the last campaign.

That's ridiculous. Ive liked Hutton in the past  -but as I side in my opening post  -he was fooking shocking yesterday - doesntmatter whether he is in a poor Villa side or not  - there is no excuse for not trying, being skinned at every opportunity and finally getting himself sent of for 2 stupid fouls.

50 minutes ago, irnbruman said:

That's ridiculous. Ive liked Hutton in the past  -but as I side in my opening post  -he was fooking shocking yesterday - doesntmatter whether he is in a poor Villa side or not  - there is no excuse for not trying, being skinned at every opportunity and finally getting himself sent of for 2 stupid fouls.

Ridiculous? Hardly.

There has been a number of posts slagging of Hutton and saying that "he should be nowhere near a Scotland" without ever volunteering a serious alternative.

Did he really deserve a fresh thread? Was he the worst player you saw on MOTD last night?

4 hours ago, Goozay said:

Did he really deserve a fresh thread? Was he the worst player you saw on MOTD last night?

No way has Hutton been the worst player at Villa and certainly not yesterday.  He got genuine applause when he got sent off yesterday because the Villa fans reckoned he was one of only two or three players who were actually trying.  

7 hours ago, irnbruman said:

He may not be great, but it seems the majority of villa fans think he is putting the effort it.  See vital villa, for example.

But yeah, any need for a separate thread on this?

It's unfortunate that we have two promising, young full-backs coming though at the same time... and both play on the same wing.

The pairing of Hutton and Stevie Smith was great to watch back in 2007 or so for Rangers and I thought we had two great internationals of the future at that point. Sadly, only Hutton made it. He's generally been very good for Scotland and it would be unfair to class him as a failure.

He also scored a cracker against Partizan Belgrade in a UEFA Cup tie, as I recall...

12 hours ago, Stu101 said:

He may not be great, but it seems the majority of villa fans think he is putting the effort it.  See vital villa, for example.

But yeah, any need for a separate thread on this?

The thread is in non TA football - I created it because I thought Alan Hutton was absolute pish for Villa on MOTD - what the fooks wrong with that - no law against creating a thread as far as I'm aware.