Panama papers - Page 11 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Panama papers

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, antidote said:

Only my opinion.

"UK families most heavily taxed in developed world"

http://citywire.co.uk/money/uk-families-most-heavily-taxed-in-developed-world/a574175

Of course another biased piece. 

It is another biased piece from this source and some of the comments on the page even disagree with the content. I'm sorry but you really don't have a scooby about how to assess the robustness of article or what meaningful data is you're simply flailing around posting random nonsense from any source that supports your "truth".

16 minutes ago, Lamia said:

All I have done throughout this thread is ask you to demonstrate your claim. There was nothing to forget or keep up with because you simply haven't done the only think I have been repeatedly asking.

"See Pool Q's post. I was asking you to justify that quote which made no reference to direct or indirect taxation."

A tax is a tax no matter how it is worded and I did say many times that use indirect taxes too.

I have given you many example of higher taxes and specific taxes that are higher.

Even though income tax is lower in the uk the hidden stealth taxes and a lot of other taxes are much higher in the uk.

If there is an actual table out there that shows the uk has the highest tax burden on its citizens than any other country in the developed world then I would show it, but as I suspect you already knew that.

As you also know and as I said before, there are reams of data out there and it would take an army of civil servants to decipher it all.

You should also know that taxing a population, or not actually calling it a tax, but...is a dark art full of smoke and mirrors which westminster is fully adapt at.

To be honest I don't even know if national insurance is included in the calculations on income tax. I'm assuming it is. 

So you'll have to make do with many of the links to show you that many individual uk taxes like property taxes, excise, APD ect. are the highest in the world.

You could also look at the many links to articles where people, who much more learned than me, are saying the exact same, the uk has the highest tax burden on its citizens than any other developed country in the world.

19 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

It is another biased piece from this source and some of the comments on the page even disagree with the content. I'm sorry but you really don't have a scooby about how to assess the robustness of article or what meaningful data is you're simply flailing around posting random nonsense from any source that supports your "truth".

Again another article you do not believe.

Still not proven your truth and I have said it is my opinion, you were the one that claimed  the "truth"

6 minutes ago, antidote said:

Again another article you do not believe.

Still not proven your truth and I have said it is my opinion, you were the one that claimed  the "truth"

This source is from a Christian organisation that is anti-abortion, anti-gambling, anti-assumed consent for organ donation, anti-compulsory sex education and anti-same sex marriage, but maybe they don't have an agenda.

26 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

This source is from a Christian organisation that is anti-abortion, anti-gambling, anti-assumed consent for organ donation, anti-compulsory sex education and anti-same sex marriage, but maybe they don't have an agenda.

anti-assumed consent shouldn't be in that list. I hate assumed consent.

7 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

Are they, along with the rest of the other reports, anti uk government?

You gave 2 examples of the uk having lower taxes, income tax and VAT out of a big list of uk taxes, then stopped there and you call that the truth.

Here are just some of the uk taxes. List taken from the IFS.

National Insurance contributions, Value added tax, Fuel duties, Tobacco duties, Alcohol duties, Betting and gaming duties, Vehicle excise duty, Air passenger duty, Insurance premium tax, Landfill tax, Climate change levy, Aggregates levy, Customs duties, Capital gains tax, Inheritance tax, Stamp duty land tax, Stamp duty on shares, Company taxes, Corporation tax, Petroleum revenue tax, Business rates, Bank levy, Council tax, Net taxes and National Insurance contributions, Interest and dividends.

Now you'll claim that a lot of these taxes are paid by companies etc. but you'll understand, I'm sure, that these costs are passed onto the customer. That's what indirect taxes are. 

Income tax in the uk being 'mid table' at the moment, could change in a moment if Osborne can't get his deficit down. Or if Corbyn/Dugdale get into power in the next elections.

45 minutes ago, antidote said:

"See Pool Q's post. I was asking you to justify that quote which made no reference to direct or indirect taxation."

A tax is a tax no matter how it is worded and I did say many times that use indirect taxes too.

I have given you many example of higher taxes and specific taxes that are higher.

Even though income tax is lower in the uk the hidden stealth taxes and a lot of other taxes are much higher in the uk.

If there is an actual table out there that shows the uk has the highest tax burden on its citizens than any other country in the developed world then I would show it, but as I suspect you already knew that.

As you also know and as I said before, there are reams of data out there and it would take an army of civil servants to decipher it all.

You should also know that taxing a population, or not actually calling it a tax, but...is a dark art full of smoke and mirrors which westminster is fully adapt at.

To be honest I don't even know if national insurance is included in the calculations on income tax. I'm assuming it is. 

So you'll have to make do with many of the links to show you that many individual uk taxes like property taxes, excise, APD ect. are the highest in the world.

You could also look at the many links to articles where people, who much more learned than me, are saying the exact same, the uk has the highest tax burden on its citizens than any other developed country in the world.

Lots of words still no answer though

The CARE research is talking about single earner families. I don't see anything wrong with their findings.

The Taxation of families – International Comparisons 2014

Our latest tax report examines how UK families on various incomes fare in the tax and benefits system compared with their counterparts from the Organisation of Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). Using the latest OECD data (2014) the report demonstrates that families in the UK are still getting a raw deal.

http://www.care.org.uk/our-causes/marriage-and-family/family-and-tax/resources#Tax 2014

Key Findings

Yet again, CARE’s ninth tax report demonstrates that the tax burden on one-earner married couples on the average wage is considerably higher in the UK than in the rest of the OECD.

At the OECD average wage for the UK (£35,633) one-earner married couples with children paid 25 per cent more in tax than the OECD average. Single parents with two children paid 17 per cent more.

The unfavourable position of one-earner families results from the fact that UK income tax does not take account of marriage or family responsibilities.

By contrast, the tax burden on single people without family responsibilities is lower than OECD and EU averages.

The report also highlights the fact many one-earner families are trapped in poverty as a result of astonishingly high effective marginal tax rates. At the moment, families on 75 per cent and 50 per cent of the average UK wage, key income points at which we should be encouraging aspiration, face marginal tax rates of 73 per cent – the highest in the world. The report provides evidence to show this EMTR will actually increase when Universal credit is introduced (most likely in April 2017) to the eye-wateringly high figure of 76 per cent.

In the conclusion, CARE makes the case for increasing the marriage tax allowance to help hard-working families and to bring down the marginal rates. At the moment, the marriage tax allowance is just 10 per cent. The report makes the case for it to be increased to a fully transferable allowance. Additional policy responses are found within the report. 

The CARE research and conclusions look absolutely fine to me. They are analyzing the OECD published data and making the point that the UK tax system is particularly unfair on single earner families.

(They seem to value 'families' based on their Christian beliefs, the utter khunts. There is no consideration of VAT I see.)

15 minutes ago, thplinth said:

The CARE research and conclusions look absolutely fine to me. They are analyzing the OECD published data and making the point that the UK tax system is particularly unfair on single earner families.

(They seem to value 'families' based on their Christian beliefs, the utter khunts. There is no consideration of VAT I see.)

But as they are lobbying for special treatment for single earner families their analysis would show that. There maybe some areas where groups have a higher tax burden such as heavy drinkers and smokers and their choice to do that is just a valid as families who make the choice to only have one parent working.