SPFL prem title race? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SPFL prem title race?

Could we have one still?

Celtic play there game in hand on Tuesday away to Dundee, theN come to fir park on Saturday and Motherwell are flying!

5 wins in a row, which I think equals a record from when Mcleish was in charge, 7 wins from last 8.

We were playing badly when we beat them at parkhead.

Hopefully by next saturday afternoon there's a title race again!!

theres also the circus that will surround the upcoming old firm game, which will possibly be a distraction??

Any ideas on post split fixtures?

both will have been to fir park twice, so due Motherwell at home (but as we were 11th last year, we are most likely to get flipped I believe?)

im quite optimistic about Saturday.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Could we have one still?

Celtic play there game in hand on Tuesday away to Dundee, theN come to fir park on Saturday and Motherwell are flying!

5 wins in a row, which I think equals a record from when Mcleish was in charge, 7 wins from last 8.

We were playing badly when we beat them at parkhead.

Hopefully by next saturday afternoon there's a title race again!!

theres also the circus that will surround the upcoming old firm game, which will possibly be a distraction??

Any ideas on post split fixtures?

both will have been to fir park twice, so due Motherwell at home (but as we were 11th last year, we are most likely to get flipped I believe?)

im quite optimistic about Saturday.

It's a big week. Celtic have two tough away games at Dundee tomorrow and Motherwell on Saturday. If they drop points in those and we win at Tynecastle on Friday then we have a chance. 2 draws for Celtic and a win for us would have the gap at 3 points. Then it'd be very much game on. 

A more likely scenario though is Celtic win both their games and we fail to win at Tynecastle, in which case it'd definitely be all over. 

6 minutes ago, Parklife said:

A more likely scenario though is Celtic win both their games and we fail to win at Tynecastle, in which case it'd definitely be all over. 

I can't see us losing to Celtic on Saturday, but then anytime you actually think you might beat one of the old firm is usually when you get a fairly routine 2 or 3-0 defeat.

Or certainly with Motherwell that's the way.

Tuesday at Dens is a potential banana skin too.

Kidding aside, in the event Celtic do drop points, Aberdeen slightly better off playing on the Friday night? Should be a good atmosphere too.

Presume Celtic to go to tynecastle post-split too. Although again, hearts would be 12th seeds, so could be flipped?

13 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I can't see us losing to Celtic on Saturday, but then anytime you actually think you might beat one of the old firm is usually when you get a fairly routine 2 or 3-0 defeat.

Or certainly with Motherwell that's the way.

Tuesday at Dens is a potential banana skin too.

Kidding aside, in the event Celtic do drop points, Aberdeen slightly better off playing on the Friday night? Should be a good atmosphere too.

Presume Celtic to go to tynecastle post-split too. Although again, hearts would be 12th seeds, so could be flipped?

I'm in the home end at Tynecastle on Friday as tickets sold out at a points level way above mines, so i'll not be sampling the good atmosphere :lol: 

I'd like to think that the SPFL would ensure that Aberdeen, Celtic & Hearts have 2 home and 2 away against each other. 

Both us and Celtic would be due 3 home games post split (i think), so we should get ours ve Hearts, Well plus one of St J or Dundee (although we've had both them at home twice already. 

I think Celtic are due to go to Tynecastle and have us at home but beyond that, i'm not sure who they've played home twice already? 

They play us at fir park for 2nd time on Saturday. I have a feeling I've watched them play at Mcdiarmid twice too, but that might be from last season too?

They usually like to throw some weird curveball into the post split fixtures.

(ive said it a few times, but I eagerly await Rangers getting sent to parkhead for a 3rd time next season. :lol: )

I was very impressed with Dundee from the highlights last night, if they are firing on all cylinders tomorrow they could really cause Celtic bother, especially given that they have top six status as an extra motivation.

If Aberdeen are still within 4 pts of Celtic by the split I would say the race is still very much on.

Aberdeen's slip up last week took the pressure off Celtic.

They could have been 2 down at half-time on Saturday but without ever playing well they went in 2-1 up. Celtic have proved time and time again that they don't handle pressure very well and I think you might have seen a different outcome against Hearts if Aberdeen were still on their shoulder.

Mentally though, they know that they've now got breathing space. I've no doubt at all they'll beat both Dundee and Motherwell.

35 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

They play us at fir park for 2nd time on Saturday. I have a feeling I've watched them play at Mcdiarmid twice too, but that might be from last season too?

They usually like to throw some weird curveball into the post split fixtures.

(ive said it a few times, but I eagerly await Rangers getting sent to parkhead for a 3rd time next season. :lol: )

I'm sad so i just checked... Celtic are due another away game at Dundee, Hearts and St Johnstone. With Aberdeen and Motherwell going to Parkhead. That would however mean they'd played 20 away and only 18 home games, so i'd imagine one of the away's will be switched. 

21 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Celtic have only lost 3 games this season.  Two of them against Aberdeen.  We've badly needed other teams to take points off them and that just happened enough.  Don't see that fact changing this week.

Other one was against Motherwell, who they've still to play twice.

:ok:

2 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

Celtic have only lost 3 games this season.  Two of them against Aberdeen.  We've badly needed other teams to take points off them and that just happened enough.  Don't see that fact changing this week.

Up to this point they have dropped one less point (21) than they did in the whole of last season (22) so it's fairly comparable, depending what happens in the remaining games. 

Last season it was games against them that cost you (up to a point), so, must be very frustrating that you have proven you can match them, but still they are in a relatively comfortable position. 

Still you never know. I personally think if you lot win all of your games you will be Champions.  Big ask mind.