The Masters - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Masters

Fairbairn

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Oh no, here we go. Daddy Dullard will be looking at a green screen for the next 4 days” will be the cry from my better half to our kids, as she is resigned to the fact I have TV rights to our 120” Hinari plasma Thursday-Sunday. No TOWIE this weekend ladies, it is strictly TOWIA only.

The arrival of golf at The Olympics this year have condensed the  Majors into a tighter timescale, with the US Open 16-19 June, The Open 14-17 July and the USPGA 28-31 July

Before all of those, we have The 80thMasters to start proceedings.

It is exactly 20 years since the Great White’s meltdown unravelled before our shell-shocked eyes, with Sir Nick Faldo turning around a 54-hole 6 shot deficit to beat Norman by the odd 5 shots. An amazing result. 

On the subject of ‘amazing results’ it is unlikely we will find an outsider that will upset the odds in Georgia this week. Quite simply, the World’s best players are playing the World’s best golf at the moment. It would take a brave man to oppose the top 10 in the betting this week. What I will try to do, however, is try and find the winner from the leading pack, together with some cast iron (!) reasons to back them and oppose others.

Selections (to a 10 point staking plan)

Adam Scott : 5 points win at 12/1

Adam Scott has confounded all critics (myself included) that thought he would fade into oblivion after the broomhandle putter was outlawed at the start of the season. However, with a CV this season that reads 1 WGC win, 1 PGA Tour win and a runner-up spot the week before, it shows that every aspect of his game is in rude health. Scott is near the top for all the stats you want to see your Masters main selection have going into battle this week; 2nd Scoring Average, 7thfor GiR, 9th for Putting Average, and, crucially 1st for Par 5 Scoring Average, to name but a few this season.

I feel he represents the best value out of the top 5 in the betting, together with arguably the best form of them, season-to-date. Add to that he won a Green Jacket 3 years ago, and has the (in)famous Stevie Williams back on his bag this weekend, he has a lot going his way to make a Major charge this week. He is my main selection this week.

Justin Rose : 1½ points each way @ 25/1(Top *6* places, BetVictor)

With Spieth taking all the deserved plaudits for streaking away last year at Augusta, not many would probably have noticed  Rose clocking in yet another decent shift at Augusta, finishing 2nd. Georgia has been a location where Rose has performed well, with form figures at Augusta and East Lake GC (both in Georgia) that reads  2,2,4,14,6,25,2,8,20 for the last 10 tournaments.

Tee to green this season, Rose has been impressive, it is the cold putter that has generally let him down. However, I believe he has always putted above average around Augusta, and, together with the rest of his game on song, I am hoping for another decent week from him.

Scott Piercy : 1 point each way @ 300/1 (Top *8* places, SkyBet)

Ok, I couldn’t resist. I have clearly overdone it on the late night caffeine and sugar burst and replaced a more than worthy final selection in Marc Leishman for our man Mr Piercy. It is sketchy I know, but…. we have 89 players teeing it up this week at Augusta, in my opinion 21 can be readily scrubbed out from doing anything other than missing the cut. That should leave Piercy with a 12% odd chance to make the Top 8 and bag us 75/1 for the place. Simple! He has been playing the most consistent golf of his career this season, he hits a big ball which is sometimes wayward (that suits) and has a tendency to start well, which is a must at Augusta. His scrambling is the area that lets him down, but at that inflated price I am going to throw caution to the wind and promote Mr Piercy from a mere spray and pray to the headline selections page. Step up to the plate please, Piercy!

Skybet are going an impressive ¼ odds top 8 places this week, with the rest generally top 6 ¼ the odds. Paddy Power are going top 7 but be careful, it is only 1/5 odds a place from them. I think, in finance parlance those stingier odds on offer are known as ‘synergies’ post the merger with Betfair. Any more of that Betty Power, and ‘You’re Not Welcome!’

Spray and Pray (small stakes, big price)

Justin Thomas    (180 on Betfair)

Other relevant information

Last time the World Number One won The Masters was in 2002.

Jordan Spieth has found some form the past few weeks with 4 consecutive top 20 finishes. However I really feel he is not on top of his game to card 4 good enough rounds to win this year. I would put Phil Mickelson in exactly the same category.

Dustin Johnson will win a Major, of that I am quite certain. But I would prefer to back him after his first Major win, as it could possibly open the floodgates to several more. Until then, if I really wanted to make money from some kind of trade on DJ, I think I would rather back him each way for First Round Leader in every Major. I have not got the stats to back it up, but surely that must have made more money than his placed efforts after 4 rounds?

Rory managed to propel his prep work to the top of the charts this week by getting a hole-in-one on the 16th in practice yesterday. However, with his new left-below-right putting technique still quite new to his world, I just wonder if those clutch putts will start to drop for him if in contention on a Sunday afternoon.

Bubba’s prep work has not been ideal. After a weekend’s practising at Augusta, he spent the whole of Monday in bed with a sinus infection. Bubba also bared his soul on ’60 minutes’ over the weekend. We all knew he had ‘issues’, but wow. 

“I am so fearful of things, which I shouldn’t be, right? Heights, buildings falling on me, scared of crowds, scared of the dark…..I’m just scared of people in general.”  After reading that, I am fearful of backing him! Joking aside, he has a great chance of winning yet again, I just think the price on offer is too skinny, especially when comparing it to Adam Scott’s price.

Henrik Stenson is playing some ultra-consistent golf the past few weeks, but, through a mixture of bad luck and bad errors, he continues to clutch defeat from the jaws of victory. Frustrating.

Freddy Couples had to withdraw with a bad back. It won’t be the same without the customary Day One charge by Boom Boom being shown on our screens.

Danny Willett would have been my idea of an each way pick this week, he is having a cracking season. However, there was a new addition to the Willett family last week, so he would have been handling greens of a more liquid variety the past few days. Keep our powder dry for Willett for another time. Mrs Kevin Streelman also had a baby too.

Byeong Hun An has a neck injury, and has not hardly practised in over a week. He said on Twitter he might not even start on Thursday.

Weather

According to recent reports, we now have a breezy Thursday-Saturday. Sunday looks perfect. No thunderstorms predicted, so no delays. Hurrah.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/features/trend/2016_masters_forecast_gusty_winds_to_challenge_golfers_during_first_three_rounds_of_play/56495557

Finally we have the Grand National running this Saturday too. As I have mentioned before, it is the Ultimate Spring Double. People who like picking horses for their ironic names might want to stick a £1 each way double on Just A Par in the Grand National at 40/1 and Scott Piercy at 300/1 with Skybet. For those that scrutinise the form with a fine-tooth comb, an each way double on The Druids Nephew 16/1 and Adam Scott 12/1must be the way forward! 

Few Each ways taking

Bill Haas, Jason Duffner, Hunter Mahan, Martin Kaymer and Webb Simpson £1 each all around 100/1 to 200/1 just for a bit of interest, probably no chance

7 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I'll also be backing Snedeker at 66s and Bill Haas at 125s.

I've just backed Snedeker too!  Thought it was a bit out there but playing well, putts well and hits it long right to left. 

Also backed Casey and Lowry just because they had long odds.

26 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

I've just backed Snedeker too!  Thought it was a bit out there but playing well, putts well and hits it long right to left. 

Also backed Casey and Lowry just because they had long odds.

If you've backed Garcia and Snedker the same as me you've got absolutely no chance!!

4 hours ago, macy37 said:

Ernie 7 putts 1st from 3 feet for a 10.

Ouch.

Ouch times 7.

Just watched that. It's hard to believe that any golfer could do that, never mind a multi major winner. I've played with a few yippers over the years and the worst i've seen is five putts. I would give up if I got the yips.

When I first read your post, I assumed that he must have had a super fast putt and putted off the green or something, but every missed putt was under 4 feet. Hard to believe it's possible to do that.

12 hours ago, macy37 said:

Ernie 7 putts 1st from 3 feet for a 10.

Ouch.

Apparently it was only a 6 putt. Stop exaggerating min.:lol:

I'm sure I counted 7. They must have showed one of them twice on the clip that I saw?

Took Matsuyama on sky at 35/1. £5 e/w paying 8 places. Fancy him to place top 8. Think Johnson and Day will have a good day tomorrow, particularly if they play together as looks like could happen. Mcilroy had a bit of a mare today so far