TV Money - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Heard Hugh MacDonald on Scotland Tonight yesterday saying that the bottom club in the English Premier get 157 times more cash than the winners on the Scottish Premiership (£100m from TV plus £57m parachute payment, versus £1m up here).

Is that right enough? :blink:

23 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Heard Hugh MacDonald on Scotland Tonight yesterday saying that the bottom club in the English Premier get 157 times more cash than the winners on the Scottish Premiership (£100m from TV plus £57m parachute payment, versus £1m up here).

not sure about the figures although that wouldnt surprise me!!!

I did see on SSN recently that despite being relegated last season Burnley F.C. made a profit of over 30 million for 2015-16. They spent a fair bit of cash last summer as well!!!

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

And if you have Sky Sports, then it's your fault. 

With that kind of money floating around no doubt the ticket prices are suitably low enough to encourage your average fan.

They are the lifeblood of the game after all.

Edited by neil r

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

And if you have Sky Sports, then it's your fault.

Just to clarify I've never actually subscribed to Sky.

Although is the actual UK revenue not only a fraction of the money the EPL makes from TV rights?

The domination of the English PL in money terms is going to fundamentally ruin football (even more some might say!) and will inevitably lead to some sort of European Super League soon enough. 

You can already see it with e.g. Stoke's front 4 of Shakiri, Arnautovic, Afellay and Bojan. That level of forward line 10 years ago would have been at clubs of the stature of Dortmund, Juve, Valencia, etc. Now it's not Stoke's fault that they're well run so good luck to them really, and it's not the PL's fault that they're so well run in a business sense that they're leaving every other league behind on the money side. However I do find it a bit sad that Shakiri would rather play for Stoke than Inter.

Edited by Johnnyshaker

33 minutes ago, Johnnyshaker said:

The domination of the English PL in money terms is going to fundamentally ruin football (even more some might say!) and will inevitably lead to some sort of European Super League soon enough.

You can already see it with e.g. Stoke's front 4 of Shakiri, Arnautovic, Afellay and Bojan. That level of forward line 10 years ago would have been at clubs of the stature of Dortmund, Juve, Valencia, etc. Now it's not Stoke's fault that they're well run so good luck to them really, and it's not the PL's fault that they're so well run in a business sense that they're leaving every other league behind on the money side. However I do find it a bit sad that Shakiri would rather play for Stoke than Inter.

Great if you're a Stoke fan though.

10 years ago they had Chris Iwelumo up front...

17 hours ago, Johnnyshaker said:

why is it sad Shakiri would rather play for stoke than inter?

he's swiss and inter are shi.t so he'd only be going there for the money

why is going to england for money any different than going to italy for the money?

2 hours ago, dan cake said:

why is it sad Shakiri would rather play for stoke than inter?

he's swiss and inter are shi.t so he'd only be going there for the money

why is going to england for money any different than going to italy for the money?

I suppose the reasoning is that Inter have traditionally been one of the biggest clubs in Europe playing in one of the most famous stadiums in the world with passionate fans. They have won many major honours and are often in the champions league, winning it not that long ago. 

Stoke are a medium sized English team who have spent the majority the last couple of decades in the lower leagues and haven't won a major trophy in 40 years. 

11 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

I suppose the reasoning is that Inter have traditionally been one of the biggest clubs in Europe playing in one of the most famous stadiums in the world with passionate fans. They have won many major honours and are often in the champions league, winning it not that long ago. 

Stoke are a medium sized English team who have spent the majority the last couple of decades in the lower leagues and haven't won a major trophy in 40 years. 

his career is in the present not in the past 

stoke all day long

no brainer for me