Team of the Nineties - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team of the Nineties

ErsatzThistle

14 minutes ago, Davied14 said:

I'd be tempted to replace the wing backs (who are a really a central midfielder and a centre back) with our current full backs but other than that I agree.

I did think about the full backs but its like trying to compare apples and oranges with the different systems.  Burley was not a natural wing back but then neither is Hutton.  

If you are looking at an orthodox right back then I would go with Tom Boyd - right footed but could play on both sides - over Hutton.  In fact I'd go for Boyd ahead of Hutton and whoever is the current left back but he can't play in two positions.  It did seem though that it was a case of players fitting in on the left hand side until Gary Naysmith came through and made the position his own for most of the next decade.

On 4/7/2016 at 5:40 PM, JECK said:

I reckon the team pretty much picks itself barring the  goram/leighton debate and maybe one or two others.

im also of the opinion that we weren't that great in that decade (flair, creativity and lack of goals and chances - similar to now) and the rest of Europe improved significantly whilst we went backwards then stagnated

goram

hendry

boyd

calderwood

burley

tosh mckinley?

mccallister

collins

mcstay

Mccoist

gallagher

I would greet if that was the team the day

Me too!  But maybe for a different reason?  We were well gash back then.  Just 'cause we qualified everyone thinks we were great. Burley, Mckinley, Hendry, Boyd, FFS!  Short memories.  I used to curse them back then more than I do the current crop.  At least we make an attempt to play football now.  Apologies Jeck if this was the type of greetin' you were getting at.

45 minutes ago, todd said:

Me too!  But maybe for a different reason?  We were well gash back then.  Just 'cause we qualified everyone thinks we were great. Burley, Mckinley, Hendry, Boyd, FFS!  Short memories.  I used to curse them back then more than I do the current crop.  At least we make an attempt to play football now.  Apologies Jeck if this was the type of greetin' you were getting at.

Agree with much of that, we were way short in quality by '98. 92 a different story.

Due to my age I only started getting seriously into football around '96 and concede I cant make a telling argument about today vs 90's team

However a couple of genuine questions which I don't know the answers to

Did the 90's team ever beat top teams I remember a friendly win in Germany in salmon pink shirt but don't recall many others apart from that glorious night in London '99

Do you think we have moved on much and progressed with the team management, team coaching and SFA structure since then?

And against the competition was it a case that we qualified for 4 tournaments in the 90s due to being more consistent against the second and third seed teams and we perhaps struggle against these teams now as some have progressed at a rate which has outstrip us

6 hours ago, borojock said:

Due to my age I only started getting seriously into football around '96 and concede I cant make a telling argument about today vs 90's team

Did the 90's team ever beat top teams I remember a friendly win in Germany in salmon pink shirt but don't recall many others apart from that glorious night in London '99

Do you think we have moved on much and progressed with the team management, team coaching and SFA structure since then?

And against the competition was it a case that we qualified for 4 tournaments in the 90s due to being more consistent against the second and third seed teams and we perhaps struggle against these teams now as some have progressed at a rate which has outstrip us

We finished top of a group including Romania, Bulgaria and Switzerland to be one of only 7 teams to reach Euro 92 along with hosts Sweden. 

Our euro 96 group was kind but finishing with 23 points from 10 games was impressive. 

World Cup 98 group we qualified as best runner up with 23 points from 10 in a group where we pipped Sweden to second place and finished just behind Austria and had tricky visits to Belarus, Latvia and Estonia. 

Wouldnt fancy the current mob to do the same. 

12 hours ago, borojock said:

I don't think results in single games against the "big" teams really tell you that much.   We beat Germany 1-0 but were we that much better than they were on the night?  

Craig Brown's team was incredibly difficult to beat in the 1990s.  In the qualification for Euro 96 we only conceded 3 goals and lost 1 game and that was away in Athens to a very dodgy penalty IIRC.  His teams were often criticised - unfairly, IMHO - for being boring and too defensively minded but he really focused on the strengths of the players available and got them working in a system that was very effective.  Based on what followed him, I'd say he was 100% right in his approach  

I don't think your point about being more consistent against the second and third seeds stands up.  In fact I'm not really sure what you mean as we were generally second seeds then.  Anyway in qualification for France 98, we were lucky to get a win away in Minsk as a result of a Gary McAllister penalty and then there was the whole Estonia fiasco which saw us draw 0-0 against them in Monaco.  That was a really weird group though as we were the second best team in the group but Sweden were the best by some distance and Austria were third best. How Austria won that group and Sweden finished third I'll never know - well it was because Sweden lost home and away to Austria but you get my point.

I would never describe the game at Wembley as a glorious night, bittersweet in my recollection and I remember being severely pissed off afterwards.  

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 8:31 PM, todd said:

The team that were played off the park at Hampden a few days before!

Some dodgy refereeing and a partially fit Colin Hendry apart I don't think we were seriously outclassed that day.

Broon got the team right at Wembley and we nearly pulled it off...

On 08 April 2016 at 8:31 PM, todd said:

The team that were played off the park at Hampden a few days before!

If you think we were played off the park at Hampden that day, then you weren't at the game and your telly must have been broken.

Smash and grab by the Nigels that day.

Outside of the two goals, Scotland had the better chances in what was a pretty poor game. Don't get me wrong, only the result mattered, but we were NOT outclassed that day in any way.

Edited by Marky

1 hour ago, Marky said:

If you think we were played off the park at Hampden that day, then you weren't at the game and your telly must have been broken.

Outside of the two goals, Scotland had the better chances in what was a pretty poor game. Don't get me wrong, only the result mattered, but we were NOT outclassed that day in any way.

You can blame Jorg Albertz for that one.

5 hours ago, Marky said:

First half England were the better team, second half we were.  Problem was though England took their chances and we didn't. 

I wouldn't say we were outclassed but by the same token we weren't robbed.