Team of the Nineties - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team of the Nineties

ErsatzThistle

Started a "Team of the Noughties" thread a while back but the problem was that there really were only about 13/14 players worth considering. 

The nineties however, when the quality of player was somewhat better and we actually last qualified for tournaments offers a bit more scope for discussion.

Who would you pick for a Scotland XI of the nineties ? 

Here's mine which I don't mind being torn to shreds, it's all about opinions :ok:

Jim Leighton (91 caps, 1982-1998)

Stewart McKimmie (40 caps & 1 goal, 1989-1996)
Colin Calderwood (36 caps & 1 goal, 1995-1999)
Colin Hendry (51 caps & 3 goals, 1993-2001)
Tom Boyd (72 caps & 1 goal, 1990-2001)

John Collins (58 caps & 12 goals, 1988-1999)
Stuart McCall (40 caps & 1 goal, 1990-1998)
Paul McStay (76 caps & 9 goals, 1983-1997)
Gary McAllister (59 caps & 5 goals, 1990-1999)

Kevin Gallacher (53 caps & 9 goals 1988-2001)
Ally McCoist (61 caps & 19 goals 1986-1998)

Was tempted to put Richard Gough and Maurice Malpas in defence with Mo Johnston in attack but their Scotland careers ended early in the nineties (Gough in 93, Malpas in 92, Johnston in 92) so I didn't pick them.

Likewise, I thought about including Christian Dailly and David Weir but their Scotland careers only really took off at the end of the decade. 

So would anyone select the likes of Alan McLaren, Billy McKinlay, Andy Goram, Pat Nevin, Craig Burley, Paul Lambert, Gordon Durie or Stephen Glass ?

No club bias please !

15 minutes ago, aaid said:

If you are going to have a team of the 90s then it would have to be 5-3-2 given that's the formation that Craig Brown played for the bulk of the decade.

Well it's my team and I'm picking the formation :spin:

I reckon the team pretty much picks itself barring the  goram/leighton debate and maybe one or two others.

im also of the opinion that we weren't that great in that decade (flair, creativity and lack of goals and chances - similar to now) and the rest of Europe improved significantly whilst we went backwards then stagnated

goram

hendry

boyd

calderwood

burley

tosh mckinley?

mccallister

collins

mcstay

Mccoist

gallagher

I would greet if that was the team the day

Edited by JECK

9 minutes ago, fringo said:

I'd drop McCall

I couldn't make my mind up between McCall or McStay.  Was always a fan of MacAlistair.  I got into football about 96/97 so I was too young to remember the early 90's

re the strikers what on earth happened to mo Johnstons Scotland career? Roughly same age as McCoist and arguably the better player.

gallagher wasn't even that great but had the one campaign effectively getting us to France 98 with his goals. His ratio was piss poor as was Gordon Duries - was a good runner and headerer probably hence why he was first pick for a while under brown.

don Hutchison was a relevation when he came in but didn't get capped till 1999 - craigie brown surely should have had him earlier.

23 minutes ago, JECK said:

re the strikers what on earth happened to mo Johnstons Scotland career? Roughly same age as McCoist and arguably the better player.

TBH, he went downhill after he left Rangers in 1991.  I see to remember him having a few injuries at Everton but he was never the player he had been,

I know his record was only slightly better than 1 in 3 but I still think that Johnston is the last striker we've had that you expected to score when he played for Scotland.

Edited by aaid

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Started a "Team of the Noughties" thread a while back but the problem was that there really were only about 13/14 players worth considering.

The nineties however, when the quality of player was somewhat better and we actually last qualified for tournaments offers a bit more scope for discussion.

Who would you pick for a Scotland XI of the nineties ? 

Here's mine which I don't mind being torn to shreds, it's all about opinions :ok:

Jim Leighton (91 caps, 1982-1998)

Stewart McKimmie (40 caps & 1 goal, 1989-1996)
Colin Calderwood (36 caps & 1 goal, 1995-1999)
Colin Hendry (51 caps & 3 goals, 1993-2001)
Tom Boyd (72 caps & 1 goal, 1990-2001)

John Collins (58 caps & 12 goals, 1988-1999)
Stuart McCall (40 caps & 1 goal, 1990-1998)
Paul McStay (76 caps & 9 goals, 1983-1997)
Gary McAllister (59 caps & 5 goals, 1990-1999)

Kevin Gallacher (53 caps & 9 goals 1988-2001)
Ally McCoist (61 caps & 19 goals 1986-1998)

Was tempted to put Richard Gough and Maurice Malpas in defence with Mo Johnston in attack but their Scotland careers ended early in the nineties (Gough in 93, Malpas in 92, Johnston in 92) so I didn't pick them.

Likewise, I thought about including Christian Dailly and David Weir but their Scotland careers only really took off at the end of the decade.

So would anyone select the likes of Alan McLaren, Billy McKinlay, Andy Goram, Pat Nevin, Craig Burley, Paul Lambert, Gordon Durie or Stephen Glass ?

No club bias please !

Take McCoist away that's an impressive lack of goals from the rest of the team.

If you were given the choice between that team and our first team now who would you go for? I think its a close one

28 minutes ago, borojock said:

Take McCoist away that's an impressive lack of goals from the rest of the team.

If you were given the choice between that team and our first team now who would you go for? I think its a close one

Are you joking ???

The difference isn't that great between the 98 team and now. Sweden 92 was a very strong squad though, but was getting on a bit by 96. The likes of Snodgrass and S. Fletcher and a few others would still get in those squads. I do detect a rise in technical ability in our younger age groups which gives room for optimism. The likes of Tom Boyd, McKimmie, Darren Jackson, Duncan Shearer, Jim McInally were good pros but technically poor and amassed quite a few caps back then.

26 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

The difference isn't that great between the 98 team and now. Sweden 92 was a very strong squad though, but was getting on a bit by 96. The likes of Snodgrass and S. Fletcher and a few others would still get in those squads. I do detect a rise in technical ability in our younger age groups which gives room for optimism. The likes of Tom Boyd, McKimmie, Darren Jackson, Duncan Shearer, Jim McInally were good pros but technically poor and amassed quite a few caps back then.

Tom Boyd and McKimmie were both excellent players for Scotland.  

The team that started against Brazil was Leighton, Burley, Boyd, Hendry, Calderwood, Dailly, Collins, Lambert, Jackson, Durie, Gallacher. 

Not one of our current squad would get into this team.  Jackson is probably the weakest link but he was only playing because McAllister was injured fit the finals.  Put McAllister in instead of Jackson and there's no contest. 

47 minutes ago, aaid said:

The team that started against Brazil was Leighton, Burley, Boyd, Hendry, Calderwood, Dailly, Collins, Lambert, Jackson, Durie, Gallacher. 

Not one of our current squad would get into this team.  Jackson is probably the weakest link but he was only playing because McAllister was injured fit the finals.  Put McAllister in instead of Jackson and there's no contest. 

Durie was a good player for Scotland (especially in away games), mainly due to pace and power, but he wasn't better than Steven Fletcher. Gallacher wasn't better than Snodgrass. Dailly was no great shakes. Put it this way, I was lamenting the 80s in the late 90s.

I'd pick Broon's team from the late 90s which was incredibly solid defensively (best record in Europe for one of the campaigns IIRC?) but I'd then play McStay, McCoist and Johnston going forward from their peak at the start of the 90s.

3 hours ago, aaid said:

I'd be tempted to replace the wing backs (who are a really a central midfielder and a centre back) with our current full backs but other than that I agree.