Whisky Collections - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Whisky Collections

I'm more of a drinker than a collector, but as I approach 30 - I have started outlaying a wee bit more for a better bottle and started to collect them

I've been able to complete my Highland Park Valhalla collection - Thor, Odin, Loki and Freya... Have a few Macallan Rare Casks, Ardbeg Committee's etc... Slowly growing.

Anyone else a collector?

I have 5 bottles in the house and various stages of "openess"!!  Nothing particularly fancy but all quite nice and it's good to have a few options!  I've got a Glenfiddich 18yo, Balvennie 14yo, Glenlivet Master Reserve, Royal Lochnagar 12yo and a beautiful Dalmore Valour.

Guest flumax

Drinker,  but starting to save a couple. Don't really have the room, what to look for, what they might be worth in the future. Tried so many times, but just end up going in to them. 

I don't have anything daft, £140 most I've spent and that was for a bottle of teeling single malt from the qualifiers last year. Couple of £100 Ish ones kicking about (glendronach, Highland park) 

Tend to drink stuff from the bottlers on my street where  you get some unusual 20 odd year, cask strength stuff in a no frills, glass bottle with a sticky label signed by distillery and bottler for £50. No resale value, because it doesn't have the marketable bottle and box.  

15 minutes ago, flumax said:

Drinker,  but starting to save a couple. Don't really have the room, what to look for, what they might be worth in the future. Tried so many times, but just end up going in to them. 

I don't have anything daft, £140 most I've spent and that was for a bottle of teeling single malt from the qualifiers last year. Couple of £100 Ish ones kicking about (glendronach, Highland park) 

Tend to drink stuff from the bottlers on my street where  you get some unusual 20 odd year, cask strength stuff in a no frills, glass bottle with a sticky label signed by distillery and bottler for £50. No resale value, because it doesn't have the marketable bottle and box.  

If these cask strength bottles you have are Manager's drams, they are very collectable, and can be worth a fair bit. A mate of mine works in a distillery, and has a lot of these, as well as lots of other limited edition bottles.

For my 25th girlfriend got me a bottle of Glen Garioch 25 year old from the Old Malt Cask. Was saving it for independence but obviously that didnt go well. Maybe if we qualify for something it will get opened. 

Got a nice Singleton 18 (i think) that you could only get at the distilery, again the gf got me it through her dads contacts. Opened it but keeping it for special occasions.

Guest flumax
10 hours ago, jailender said:

If these cask strength bottles you have are Manager's drams, they are very collectable, and can be worth a fair bit. A mate of mine works in a distillery, and has a lot of these, as well as lots of other limited edition bottles.

Aye, ken. 

Unfortunately, I don't know what's good and not. I live 100m from http://duncantaylor.com/ and they're locals range is great value for smashing whisky, that I struggle to not get fired in to it 

A collector. Hate the stuff.

However, I bought my first bottle 13 months ago: Octomore 6.2. 

£75 in Keflavik Airport vs other airports retailing it at £95. Checked in Schiphol two weeks ago and it was €160 (£129).

Promising start. 

Drinker. Pass through duty free every 3 weeks or so and always pick up a Litre or 2.

One I have kept is a Litre of Glenmorangie Cellar 13 which I picked up in a shop in Philippines. It cost 40 quid for the litre but its on the internet for 300 USD so I will keep a hold of it (just now).

Got a Glenrothes Robur Reserve, Glen Grant 16 and a Glengoyne 15 on the go just now.

Only drink whisky in my own house as I it makes me rather disagreeable.

I've got a working (drinking) collection.  Just over 80 bottles in a cabinet. Mixture of good and average bottles.  The best being a 25yo Rosebank (which I found in the house we just moved into, have tried to contact the sellers but they are in Australia and selling agent can't contact - remains unopened and worth around £600), to birthday presents including a 21yo Springbank, 25yo Highland Park, a 30yo Glen Moray and a 25yo Mortlach. Lot's of 15/16yo.  A good few 10/12 yo.

Mortlach would be one of my favourites, although i do like the Islays.  Recently discovered a 16yo Benraich which must be about the best value for money whisky i have come across - gorgeous stuff. 

I've got a Rosebank as well but its only worth around £200.  Mate of mine uses a firm in Dunfermline for selling through auction.  He used to buy special editions around 15 years ago when they were released and the majority all increased their value considerably.

The wife's family are from Islay so we generally have a selection in the house. I personally can't stand the stuff but I'm the odd one out. Currently have in-laws and friends working at a couple of the distilleries on the island. They all buy the limited editions when they come up for sale as they are guaranteed to go up in price almost immediately. 

Quite a few of them use them as a form of savings policy or pension. 

14 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

The wife's family are from Islay so we generally have a selection in the house. I personally can't stand the stuff but I'm the odd one out. Currently have in-laws and friends working at a couple of the distilleries on the island. They all buy the limited editions when they come up for sale as they are guaranteed to go up in price almost immediately. 

Quite a few of them use them as a form of savings policy or pension. 

How IS Shaw Mhor?

20 minutes ago, Flure said:

How IS Shaw Mhor?

He's fine. Too busy with his new job to come on here though! ? 

All that political stuff rots yer brain anyway. :wacko:

Should also say I don't think he keeps any of his whiskey too long. Whenever a celebration chance comes around he's generally happy enough to crack a seal.

Edited by RenfrewBlue