Weekend Scottish fitba - Page 7 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Weekend Scottish fitba

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Blackpool78 said:

Really hope Rangers win today.....it will then be forever in their history and the reason that they had the chance to win that cup

its all about the love mate. Spread the considerable revenues amongst our fellow league clubs . What a strike from Tav?

15 minutes ago, AberdeenAngus said:

Tansey at Inverness & Stewart at Dundee. 

With cash tight do you think the likes of Aberdeen could make more of the loan system?  Church has gone well and Ward earlier on in the year.  I don't know what the current SPL rules are but Warburton has used the system well in the Championship.

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Wrong as I'm not going today but have a ticket for next week (although I'm not going to that either). 

Really? Oh dear so you mean 50000 actually wanted to go to the petro whatever cup final? More bluepounds than sense.

15 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Pretty hilarious watching Sevco fans celebrating being ahead in the Joe's Chip Shop cup final. 

Their first cup win getting closer by though. It must be exciting. 

you're watching? ? We treat our cup competitions with respect. I know you Sevcopaths find that hard to grasp.

2 hours ago, slasher said:

Yes it can be both and is. You see one is as a direct consequence of the other but I can't be bothered explaining it to your simple mind.

Congratulations on 2nd place though, I'm sure the Europa league 'campaign' will be a hoot.

It can't. We're either not good enough, or we shat it. If we are better than Celtic then I'd accept we've "shat it". We're not though, which based on Celtic's current level, is pretty disappointing. 

9 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

you're watching? ? We treat our cup competitions with respect. I know you Sevcopaths find that hard to grasp.

I bet you're recording it as well as watching it, eh ?

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Rossy

1 hour ago, AberdeenAngus said:

Even that is hard to judge.

The club made 2 bids for 2 players in January at what was significant money for Aberdeen. Both selling clubs wanted considerably more. 

Clubs won't spend what they can't afford to. Easy for fans to spend money which isn't their's.

Thereally won't be any going back to the days of speculating to accumulate in Scotland as the banks no longer give our clubs a blank cheque to do so. 

We made a bid for Tansey on the final day of the window. Why wait until then? Completely amateurish. We let Quinn go and brought in no defensive cover. We lost Ward, brought in a 'keeper who we haven't played, left Rogers on loan at Falkirk and have played the truly abysmal Scott Brown. 

Our dealings in January were pathetic, there's no defending it. 

29 minutes ago, Parklife said:

It can't. We're either not good enough, or we shat it. 

It can actually be both you know, ie. one of the reasons why you are not good enough is on the mental side and is why you've shat it.

1 hour ago, ShedTA said:

Really? Oh dear so you mean 50000 actually wanted to go to the petro whatever cup final? More bluepounds than sense.

If only your 'fans' had that sort of sense. You would maybe be competing at the right end of the table ;)

Anyway well done The Gers today, job done. Didn't get to see it unfortunately. 

21 minutes ago, aaid said:

It can actually be both you know, ie. one of the reasons why you are not good enough is on the mental side and is why you've shat it.

Where does that end though ? You could easily say that any team losing any game is 'mentally weak'.

Sometimes in football, no matter how you play, things just don't work out for you. Aberdeen could (should ?) have been 3-0 up after 15 minutes on Friday, but it didn't work out that way...not for want of trying, it's simply that not every shot you have on goal in a game goes in.

We're missing our top scorer, and our captain got carried off after 20 minutes. We don't have a divine right to win football games....the teams that we're playing against try to beat us as well, you know.

Could we have won the league ? Yes. Should we have won the league ? Probably not...we're around 3 good players short of a league winning squad. 

We didn't 'not win'the league because of mentality, we lost it because we didn't have enough good players.

I reckon that's the chance of a non old firm team winning the league gone now. The Rangers will spend which will probably push Celtic to spend a bit more. They will strengthen over summer and I expect Rangers to finish 2nd next season.

We might have to wait till the next time they are liquidated for someone to really challenge for the title again. 

Edited by iainmac1

14 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Where does that end though ? You could easily say that any team losing any game is 'mentally weak'.

Sometimes in football, no matter how you play, things just don't work out for you. Aberdeen could (should ?) have been 3-0 up after 15 minutes on Friday, but it didn't work out that way...not for want of trying, it's simply that not every shot you have on goal in a game goes in.

We're missing our top scorer, and our captain got carried off after 20 minutes. We don't have a divine right to win football games....the teams that we're playing against try to beat us as well, you know.

Could we have won the league ? Yes. Should we have won the league ? Probably not...we're around 3 good players short of a league winning squad. 

We didn't 'not win'the league because of mentality, we lost it because we didn't have enough good players.

I'm not saying that it's the only reason or the main reason but it just annoys me when people disregard mental side of the game.  Character, determination, winning mentality, call it what you will are every bit as important as skill and fitness. 

5 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

I reckon that's the chance of a non old firm winning the league gone now. The Rangers will spend which will probably push Celtic to spend a bit more. They will strengthen over summer and I expect Rangers to finish 2nd next season.

We might have to wait till the next time they are liquidated for someone to really challenge for the title again. 

I think you're right.

12 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

I reckon that's the chance of a non old firm team winning the league gone now. The Rangers will spend which will probably push Celtic to spend a bit more. They will strengthen over summer and I expect Rangers to finish 2nd next season.

Look at Leicester! Hearts have a decent fan base, once they sort out their stadium, they might be able to challenge 

6 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

No way and Paul Murray made this clear this week.

The pressure from Rangers fans to spend money in the summer will be huge. 

I'm not saying that the club will instantly commit financial suicide again, but Rangers already paid...what ?....300K for O'Halloran in January. That's well outside the capability of any other non-OF club.

I'd be amazed if Rangers spent less than half a million over the next few months. 

8 minutes ago, Rossy said:

The pressure from Rangers fans to spend money in the summer will be huge. 

I'm not saying that the club will instantly commit financial suicide again, but Rangers already paid...what ?....300K for O'Halloran in January. That's well outside the capability of any other non-OF club.

I'd be amazed if Rangers spent less than half a million over the next few months. 

Half a million would be proportionate.

24 minutes ago, aaid said:

I'm not saying that it's the only reason or the main reason but it just annoys me when people disregard mental side of the game.  Character, determination, winning mentality, call it what you will are every bit as important as skill and fitness. 

You're right, but having a big squad full of decent footballers makes it easier to develop and keep that mentality. 

Celtic have been poor in many games this season, but they've also dug out wins by simply having a larger amount of better players at their disposal than Aberdeen. 

It would have been interesting to see who would have 'shat it' if Celtic had lost Griffiths a month ago instead of Aberdeen losing Rooney.

Edited by Rossy

1 hour ago, Angus_Young said:

If only your 'fans' had that sort of sense. You would maybe be competing at the right end of the table ;)

Anyway well done The Gers today, job done. Didn't get to see it unfortunately. 

I don't understand your point. Are you saying utds fans are responsible for the clubs demise? Are you slating the clubs support? An average of 8000 or so home gate from a town of 160000 people with 2 senior clubs? 

19 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

I don't understand your point. Are you saying utds fans are responsible for the clubs demise? Are you slating the clubs support? An average of 8000 or so home gate from a town of 160000 people with 2 senior clubs? 

Dundee is officially a city.