Rome - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rome

DoonTheSlope

On the Saturday before the Italy game in Malta I have a connecting flight from Rome Fiumicino which sees me with 6 hours to spare. 

I know getting into Rome city centre is probably not worth the hassle but was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere outside of the airport but not too far away where I could go for a few drinks and something decent to eat

Thanks

Ostia Antica. Went there the day after the rugby match this year. Fabulous site of a Roman town's ruins. Really impressive and the cafe does excellent food. Might be a cab but its not that far at all. You can also go to the coast and hopefully it will look a lot better in season than out of it. it looked like it had been given up to the elements in some places. Completely grim but as ever, the weather makes a place

Went to see Ostia Mare play the day after the rugby game earlier this year. After that we got on the train and went down to the beach which is at the end of the railway line. Bearing in mind it was close season the place was really closed down, there were drifts of sand against some of the buildings, most of which looked in a state of disrepair. 

As ever, the weather makes a place and as it was out of season you have to take things into consideration. It did look a lovely beach, wide and long but there must be better places further up the coast. I have googled Rome beaches in the past and there are plenty of options