School closures - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

16 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

How long before the MSM turn this story into SNP bad,, if these schools had been built while the SNP were in charge there would have been murder,,, i cant find any news outlet even linking labour to it,,, the MSM media are truely shocking in scotland 

They've already done it...

http://www.scotsman.com/news/snp-accused-of-refusing-calls-for-school-building-checks-1-4096553

An STV reporter was quite clear who was to blame on the 6pm news (can't remember his name, but he chaired a couple of referendum debates and was generally quite even handed). He noted that it was the Tories who had first instituted this and Lab/Lib wholeheartedly ran with it. Not content with this he then went on to highlight the fact that the SNP was completely opposed. It then cut to Sturgeon re-iterating this. Fair play.

3ED Consortium were involved in full school rebuilds & extensions in Glasgow during "Project 2002" - with Miller named as the construction partners - http://www.gov.scot/Resource/Doc/1069/0005235.pdf 

Page 27 in this fuller document ( http://www.gov.scot/Resource/Doc/923/0050881.pdf ) details in full the construction work undertaken by Miller on the 29 Glasgow secondary schools - namely 12 new builds and 7 extensions.

Interestingly not a single public pronouncement has emanated from Glasgow City Council to date about safety checks.

Edited by Topcat

3 hours ago, Stapes said:

An STV reporter was quite clear who was to blame on the 6pm news (can't remember his name, but he chaired a couple of referendum debates and was generally quite even handed). He noted that it was the Tories who had first instituted this and Lab/Lib wholeheartedly ran with it. Not content with this he then went on to highlight the fact that the SNP was completely opposed. It then cut to Sturgeon re-iterating this. Fair play.

Ponsonby?

I done my dissertation at uni on PFI and how much every single tax-payer is being robbed due to them. A true national disgrace. I've always been amazed that it doesn't seem to be viewed by the general public as an outright scandal. 

48 minutes ago, giblet said:

think I'm correct in saying McConnell actually sent millions  back to the Treasury and at same time signed us up on PFI for years to come. Mental. 

He did indeed. Up until 2007 any money that was not spent from the budget in any year went straight back to the treasury. In 2007 the SNP got the rules changed so that unspent money could be carried over from one year to the next.

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

I done my dissertation at uni on PFI and how much every single tax-payer is being robbed due to them. A true national disgrace. I've always been amazed that it doesn't seem to be viewed by the general public as an outright scandal. 

The British/Scottish public must be among the most domesticated in the world. A major scandal in UK politics and it'll be forgotten about in a week. PFI is one of the most scandalous things to have taken place in Scottish politics and yet we sit idly by and continue to allow the government to use it.

We deserve to be shafted :(

3 hours ago, Scunnered said:

The British/Scottish public must be among the most domesticated in the world. A major scandal in UK politics and it'll be forgotten about in a week. PFI is one of the most scandalous things to have taken place in Scottish politics and yet we sit idly by and continue to allow the government to use it.

We deserve to be shafted :(

The public in general know fekk all about these schemes. When the media is full of shite about royal babies celebrity fukkers and refugees. Nae chance.

Thought i'd switched over to a Scottish Labour Party Political Broadcast then realised it was the BBC National News and Sarah Smith

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

He did indeed. Up until 2007 any money that was not spent from the budget in any year went straight back to the treasury. In 2007 the SNP got the rules changed so that unspent money could be carried over from one year to the next.

Glad you mentioned that I was going to ask about the time scale - absolutely shocking.  Really should be billboards in every public place exposing this idiocy from Labour as msm certainly won't.

13 hours ago, phart said:

The people always get the government they deserve.

There was a chap on Twitter absolutely raging at Labours part in the school closures (rightly so), and yet when someone pointed out that the Scottish Government are still building schools under PFI schemes, he went into full on defensive mode, going as far to say that the current government know best.

Shite state of affairs, kill party politics and install a good khunt like me as supreme leader :(

18 hours ago, giblet said:

think I'm correct in saying McConnell actually sent millions  back to the Treasury and at same time signed us up on PFI for years to come. Mental. 

He sent back somewhere in the region of £1.5 billion in total.

This is very much Labour's mess.  The quality of buildings done using this procurement procedure is shocking.  I suspect the money saved by not putting wall ties in these schools ended up in the pockets of Labour and their cronies.  Being paid to build walls with cavity ties and omitting to fit them is pretty much fraud.

It's not just PPPI though.  IMHO the whole design build process has flaws, not the least of which is that the design team is pressurised  by the contractor/developer into skimping on quality.  The SNP government should change the rules so that any public project should have to have an independent design team, paid by the client, not by the contractor.  That way inspection of the works would be carried out properly.  Appoint an architect, a consulting engineer and a quantity surveyor to design and supervise the projects the way it used to be done.  That way there is an intermediary to mediate and ensure that projects are built properly.  And always remember that a pound spent paying a proper independent professional will mean a "whole life of project" saving of a lot more than a pound - screwing down design fees is a false economy.

11 minutes ago, Alibi said:

IMHO the whole design build process has flaws, not the least of which is that the design team is pressurised  by the contractor/developer into skimping on quality.

How many D&B projects have you worked on?