Andy Robertson - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Andy Robertson

jock strap

6 hours ago, Scotunited said:

Yeah, and most people will do like you do and deride the Scottish game, while being up in arms at any thought of changing things.  Comparing the Scottish game to any of the leagues or internationals you watch on sky,BT is pointless. 

What is the solution ? Because next season everything is great again apparently, Celtic will be challenged for the league and the ugly sisters will be able to battle out the bigot fest once more- that is all anyone really cares about.  

How come other similar size countries can generate some sort of success domestically and internationally? It comes down to desire to change and most people are happy to watch Scotland struggle - it gives them something to feel good about. I honestly believe that some people want Scotland to lose, as it will reaffirm their options about certain players and managers.

Who want's change? Me who thinks the balls burst or you who thinks everything is rosy?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Re above quote just read that 3 scots in Swansea under 21s today that beat strong Arsenal team including Wilshere and Rosicky. King scored and Fulton and Kingsley played. Should our young lads be going down south or overseas at young age to develop?

No they should be in the SPL getting valuable first team experience!

Good new though

10 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Scottish teams do nothing in Europe and there is barely any international players of any note in the league.The worst Celtic team ever will still probably win the SPL and apart from Aberdeen and Hearts the rest of the league is so far behind it is embarrassing. Players that look good for other teams in the SPL aren't even good enough to get of the bench for the aforementioned "worst" ever Celtic team. The only hope we have is with players who left Scottish football in there teens and bypassed the so called development they would acquire by playing regular Scottish top flight football.

Scottish domestic football is truly pish and if you don't believe that try watching a game.

Scottish football 2016 is probably on a par with the Highland League in the 1970's

It is not the team at Celtic thats the problem, it is the way that group of players are coached or managed thats the problem.

13 hours ago, Ormond said:

Nae wonder when tits like you and Dan Cake would rather throw money at the English game.

Indeed. 

10 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Scottish teams do nothing in Europe and there is barely any international players of any note in the league.The worst Celtic team ever will still probably win the SPL and apart from Aberdeen and Hearts the rest of the league is so far behind it is embarrassing. Players that look good for other teams in the SPL aren't even good enough to get of the bench for the aforementioned "worst" ever Celtic team. The only hope we have is with players who left Scottish football in there teens and bypassed the so called development they would acquire by playing regular Scottish top flight football.

Scottish domestic football is truly pish and if you don't believe that try watching a game.

Scottish football 2016 is probably on a par with the Highland League in the 1970's

Your use of ridiculous hyperbole does your argument no favours btw... 

In the recent years St Johnstone have beaten Lucern and Rosenborg, Aberdeen have beaten Groningen, Rejika and Rosenborg. Yes, there have been poor results by these teams and others but ignoramuses like you give no credit for the good and deride what you believe to be poor (although you'll probably have no idea that the team Aberdeen lost to this year have a budget larger than Celtics). 

I attend around 20 SPFL Premiership (there's no such thing as "the SPL" btw) games a season and while games are not always fantastic, they are, in the main, very good. Most teams try and play passing attacking football. How many games have you attended recently? Very few or none, i'd bet. 

How many Celtic teams have you seen play to term this one "the worst Celtic team ever"? It's a ridiculous comment that has no evidence base behind it. You've simply said it because you think making strong assertions will add credence to your pathetic argument. 

Away bile yer heed, ya clown.  

11 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Indeed. 

In the recent years St Johnstone have beaten Lucern and Rosenborg, Aberdeen have beaten Groningen, Rejika and Rosenborg. Yes, there have been poor results by these teams and others but ignoramuses like you give no credit for the good and deride what you believe to be poor (although you'll probably have no idea that the team Aberdeen lost to this year have a budget larger than Celtics). 

I attend around 20 SPFL Premiership (there's no such thing as "the SPL" btw) games a season and while games are not always fantastic, they are, in the main, very good. Most teams try and play passing attacking football. How many games have you attended recently? Very few or none, i'd bet. 

How many Celtic teams have you seen play to term this one "the worst Celtic team ever"? It's a ridiculous comment that has no evidence base behind it. You've simply said it because you think making strong assertions will add credence to your pathetic argument. 

The current Aberdeen team would finish mid table in English league 1 

11 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Thanks for your opinion, it's very valued...

Thanks. You are trying to make out your precious wee Aberdeen are playing at a high quality standard. Whilst that is true domestically compared to other teams, as soon as you look outwith scotland, you realise how poor they actually are. 

7 minutes ago, zahana-oni said:

Thanks. You are trying to make out your precious wee Aberdeen are playing at a high quality standard. Whilst that is true domestically compared to other teams, as soon as you look outwith scotland, you realise how poor they actually are. 

I'm not trying to "make out" anything, i'm giving an honest opinion and citing results to back up this opinion. I'm pretty aware of the level Aberdeen operate at. 

You, on the other hand, are coming out with assertions that have no evidence behind them and cannot be backed up. How would Groningen (8th in Eredivisie last season) or Rejika (2nd in Coratia) fair in English League 1 btw? 

9 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

If you don't realise Scottish football is terrible then you're an even bigger idiot than you come across on here I am afraid

:lol: 

Judging by the excrement you come out with in every post you make, you thinking i'm an idiot is pretty pleasing to me :) 

I often wonder what some people's expectations of Scottish clubs in Europe actually is. We are a nation of 5m people, there is little money spent by clubs, outwith Celtic, on transfer fees and salaries, and our national team hasn't qualified for a major tournament in nearly 20 years. This isn't a "Scottish football is p!sh" post, its a question on why people think our clubs should have a god given right to be beating clubs from Holland, Croatia, Switzerland, Sweden etc etc, clubs who will probably be paying more money on wages and transfers and attracting better players. 

20 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I often wonder what some people's expectations of Scottish clubs in Europe actually is. We are a nation of 5m people, there is little money spent by clubs, outwith Celtic, on transfer fees and salaries, and our national team hasn't qualified for a major tournament in nearly 20 years. This isn't a "Scottish football is p!sh" post, its a question on why people think our clubs should have a god given right to be beating clubs from Holland, Croatia, Switzerland, Sweden etc etc, clubs who will probably be paying more money on wages and transfers and attracting better players. 

Indeed. 

Those who actually attend SPFL games are on the whole are pragmatic - we know that it is not the best league in the world, but the games on the whole are enjoyable and we know that it is by no means one of the worst top flight leagues in Europe as some assert. 

Those who don't go to games and use Sky as their barometer of the standard of football, think Scottish football is shocking.  

6 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I think part of the problem is that, as with everything else, we are constantly measuring ourselves against England rather than similar sized nations. It's just want happens when you're 'in bed with an elephant'.

33 minutes ago, wellyman said:

You have a problem with Aberdeen ?  or you just trying to wind them up. 

He's got a bit of an obsession with me. It seems like almost every post he makes on this board is having a pop at me. 

He doesn't like that i think you should have to be Scottish to play for Scotland. 

8 hours ago, Parklife said:

Indeed. 

Funny how you cherry pick bits you disagree with and ignore others. Well done Aberdeen and St Johnstone but my attack was more against Celtic who despite being by far the best in Scotland can't compete in Europe. "Most teams try and play passing attractive football" there's one word in there that should have been underlined and in bold. I agree that my ridiculous hyperbole does not do my argument any favours I just can't help myself some times. However to "deride" the opinions of another by claiming they have spelled SPL wrong or asking how many games they go to or what the budget of an  Kazakhstan football club is a bit weak.

I take it you also go to a lot of games out side the SPL to validate you opinions

I go to the odd Caley, County or Celtic game if in the area but not often I do however watch football on the telly were it is much easier to compare and I also listen to the views of others who have been attending games for upwards of 40 years. 

Perhaps you should talk to and listen to other people and show some respect for their views no matter how far they are from yours

18 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

18 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Re above quote just read that 3 scots in Swansea under 21s today that beat strong Arsenal team including Wilshere and Rosicky. King scored and Fulton and Kingsley played. Should our young lads be going down south or overseas at young age to develop?

9 hours ago, wellyman said:

It is not the team at Celtic thats the problem, it is the way that group of players are coached or managed thats the problem.

I think these two comments are the most sensible on here.

Pretty obvious that I for one think they should get out as soon as possible and I hadn't really thought of the posibilty that the young Scots that are failing at Parkhead might be a poor coaching issue.

44 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Rose tinted spectacles I guess, I still think the standard of the top division in the  70's was streets ahead of what it is now

Different games really. Today's teams would destroy their 70s counterparts due to the increase in athletic strength nowadays.

Scottish football has got relatively worse for a variety of reasons, mainly because other countries have become more established at playing the sport.

Opened this thread hoping and expecting to get some interesting and insightful comments on Andy Robertsons performance last night on Sky TV and you get bombarded with these arguments. Its interesting how quickly a good debatable topic can lose its course.

Out of interest did anyone watch the game last night and how did he & McGregor and Snoddy do - I notice Maloney doesn't play much first team football for them. I know people think he's past it but would be nice if he was playing first team football incase Strachen does continue with him which I thin he will in certain games. I hope Hull get promoted due to their Scottish contingent