howard marks - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bought Mr Nice about 5+? years ago when I saw the film was being made. I got about half way through and then stopped. Not sure why but it did not ring true. I'll maybe finish it off now. My feeling was he was always a professional spook. He sure was a 'character'. 

13 hours ago, thplinth said:

Bought Mr Nice about 5+? years ago when I saw the film was being made. I got about half way through and then stopped. Not sure why but it did not ring true. I'll maybe finish it off now. My feeling was he was always a professional spook. He sure was a 'character'. 

He was recruited by Mi6 as he had links to traffickers in the IRA, specifically James Joseph McCann.

Some background in here

http://www.8bitmode.com/rogerdog/lobster/lobster09.pdf

Edited by phart

9 hours ago, phart said:

He was recruited by Mi6 as he had links to traffickers in the IRA, specifically James Joseph McCann.

Some background in here

http://www.8bitmode.com/rogerdog/lobster/lobster09.pdf

I know. It is all in the book (or at least 40% of the way in it was). My feeling was he was much more MI6/5 man than he let's on. They like to create these characters for all sorts of reasons and he seemed protected to me but pyoor speculation just a hunch really.

18 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I know. It is all in the book (or at least 40% of the way in it was). My feeling was he was much more MI6/5 man than he let's on. They like to create these characters for all sorts of reasons and he seemed protected to me but pyoor speculation just a hunch really.

Do you ever just read a book, watch a movie or a TV show and after it, go, you know what, that was great or are you cynical about everything on this god forsaken planet?

6 minutes ago, Mox said:

Do you ever just read a book, watch a movie or a TV show and after it, go, you know what, that was great or are you cynical about everything on this god forsaken planet?

He loves me and Phart and Cecelia Aherne books. Phart and I are cool about it but sometimes he gets a bit gushy when emailing us reviews of Cecelia's latest offering. 

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

It's more the reviewers had the same idea about him. He was running with top quality arms dealers and drugs, the purview of the security services. Since they run most of the drugs and guns.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11 April 2016 at 6:14 PM, Boynze said:

deid.

not taken soon enough.

airbrushing over the fact that he was a convicted drug dealer

Get over yourself fool! And whilst you're at it, try get yourself into the 21century, for your sake and for the sake of anyone who may be unfortunate enough to possibly be influenced by you in any way!

Howard Marks was convicted for smuggling cannabis, a compound which never killed anyone and never will! A compound which is far more helpful than it is harmful. 

He served time in the USA for his 'crime', a place where the legal status of cannabis is changing rapidly, a place where medical marijuana has greatly helped improve of the life of thousands of people, many children included, and will continue you to do so. 

There, just like much of the rest of the world, opinions are changing on the plant and not before time, anyone who looks at the facts / evidence couldn't argue it shouldn't be treated like it has been for so long, anyone who doesn't look at the evidence yet shouts their mouth off is a dangerous, ignorant fool that forms part of the problem.

Your local bar man is more of a problem drug dealer than Howard Marks ever was.

Just for the record, I don't use cannabis! 

Edited by McExpat

yeah, cos breaking the law is cool, man, you're so modern!

how many suffered in the cultivating, supply and distribution of an illegal substance? how many others were corrupted and broke the law because of him? what else the did money generated by his crimes get spent on? victimless crime?

You're missing the point, totally! 

The war on drugs is THEE problem

You can't fool all of the people, all of the time but you can fool some of the people all of the time! 

Out of interest,

Do you think marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol?

do you think alcohol is a drug?

have you ever broken the law?

34 minutes ago, Boynze said:

so you should only obey the laws you agree with?

You don't answer my questions, yet you expect me to answer yours! Now we have ignorance and arrogance!!

In reaponse to your question - When it is reasonable to do so yes, for that is what can cause change, for that is what helps prevent being a victim of mind management. 

Wallace and many of our sons were / are thankfully made from a cast different to that of yourself. Again thankfully, the same can be said for the many changemakers on this planet

We live in a stage of politics, where legislators seem to regard the passage of laws as much more important than the results of their enforcement

William Howard Taft

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/05/2016 at 9:10 PM, McExpat said:

Get over yourself fool! And whilst you're at it, try get yourself into the 21century, for your sake and for the sake of anyone who may be unfortunate enough to possibly be influenced by you in any way!

Howard Marks was convicted for smuggling cannabis, a compound which never killed anyone and never will! A compound which is far more helpful than it is harmful. 

He served time in the USA for his 'crime', a place where the legal status of cannabis is changing rapidly, a place where medical marijuana has greatly helped improve of the life of thousands of people, many children included, and will continue you to do so. 

There, just like much of the rest of the world, opinions are changing on the plant and not before time, anyone who looks at the facts / evidence couldn't argue it shouldn't be treated like it has been for so long, anyone who doesn't look at the evidence yet shouts their mouth off is a dangerous, ignorant fool that forms part of the problem.

Your local bar man is more of a problem drug dealer than Howard Marks ever was.

Just for the record, I don't use cannabis! 

Good post