Olympic Stadium rent released - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Olympic Stadium rent released

West Ham's average attendance is c.35K which is more or less Upton Park's capacity.  With the team doing well and the new stadium etc it's not unrealistic to expect that to increase to say 40K.  If they sell 40K tickets at an average of £50 a pop that means they'll make £25M profit per season before associated costs.  I assume they've probably been given a wedge for selling Upton Park and they'll be hoping for more than a 5K increase on their attendance but it's still a decent deal on the face of it.

Was having a read of it and found some of it quite funny. There are extra costs that West Ham might have to pay. This includes  £1 million if they win the champions league. 

They get goalposts, corner flags etc paid for. The justification was if you hire a badminton court you get the nets provided.

They also don't have to pay for upkeep as they are only hiring it for 25 days out of 365.

Where will West Ham's day to day running take place. Offices, events, functions etc. Will that not be within the stadium?

It's some deal for West Ham, although very unfair to pretty much every other team in England.

East London and Essex is a huge catchement area, they will sell that stadium out every week no problem, whether it adds or takes away from the match day experience of the average punter remains to be seen, although I would be inclined to lean towards the latter.

2 hours ago, Mox said:

It's some deal for West Ham, although very unfair to pretty much every other team in England.

This should be looked at outside the context of football. The British tax payer is getting utterly screwed here because the civil  servants that arranged the deal had no clue what the value of the thing the they were selling.

apparently they don't even need to play for policing at the games! 

18 minutes ago, Mee said:

This should be looked at outside the context of football. The British tax payer is getting utterly screwed here because the civil  servants that arranged the deal had no clue what the value of the thing the they were selling.

apparently they don't even need to play for policing at the games! 

The taxpayer is £2.5 million up - better than nothing.

No football team should have to pay for policing.

8 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

West Ham's average attendance is c.35K which is more or less Upton Park's capacity.  With the team doing well and the new stadium etc it's not unrealistic to expect that to increase to say 40K.  If they sell 40K tickets at an average of £50 a pop that means they'll make £25M profit per season before associated costs.  I assume they've probably been given a wedge for selling Upton Park and they'll be hoping for more than a 5K increase on their attendance but it's still a decent deal on the face of it.

If they market it well they really should sell it out every week. My 15 year old nephew and a few of his mates have apparently bought season tickets for £99. He has no real interest in West Ham but if you can watch 19 games for that price then it's a no brainer. 

More capacity for sure although I'd be surprised if the stadium is anywhere near sold out on a long term basis. It looks about as bad a place to watch fitba as Hampden.

Also it was designed for summer use, you'd imagine it could be a bit exposed sitting there in the middle of winter...

Edited by Toepoke

15 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

Where will West Ham's day to day running take place. Offices, events, functions etc. Will that not be within the stadium?

I'd assume that the administration functions would move to the training ground at Romford which is where most of the club's staff would be most of the time. They may already be there but in truth they could be anywhere.  Outside of match day I doubt they would be having any events or functions.  There is a hotel at Upton Park, I doubt they will be building another hotel.  These are things that clubs do to try and generate revenue outside of match days.  

At Chelsea, when Bates rebuild 3/4 of the ground his idea was to build "Chelsea Village" which included a hotel, various restaurants and the god awful Chelsea World of Sport on the basis that this would bring in a load of additional revenue outside of match days.   I don't think this has proven to be at all successful and if you can't make something like that work in a location like Chelsea, you won't make it work anywhere.  Perversely, Bates's grand plan probably cost the club money as it means that attendances are reduced for Champions League games.  

Interestingly, the plans for the new stadium don't have any "unnecessary" additions, it's just a football stadium, a fantastic looking 60000 seater stadium with everything around getting as many people in on match days as possible - and presumably getting to them to spend money while they are in there. 

Good luck to West Ham, they've undoubtedly got a good deal for them.  The fact is really that they had them over a barrel as to make the stadium sustainable, it needs a regular tenant and that means a football club and in that area that means West Ham, I'm not sure the Spurs interest was really 100% genuine and they are now redeveloping White Hart Lane which will be much better for them. 

22 minutes ago, aaid said:

Interestingly, the plans for the new stadium don't have any "unnecessary" additions, it's just a football stadium, a fantastic looking 60000 seater stadium with everything around getting as many people in on match days as possible - and presumably getting to them to spend money while they are in there. 

Are the proposals still based on the site of the old Battersy Power Station? 

15 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Are the proposals still based on the site of the old Battersy Power Station? 

No, the current stadium will be demolished on the current site.   The pitch will be lower than it currently is and they will be building over the train lines on the North and East sides to give more space.  There will also be direct access to the site from Fulham Broadway tube.  Some good pics here. 

http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/04/in-pictures-chelseas-plans-to-redevelop-stamford-bridge-5543595/

This all subject to planning - which won't be straightforward - and will mean the club playing somewhere else - probably Wembley - for two years while it's being built. 

32 minutes ago, aaid said:

No, the current stadium will be demolished on the current site.   The pitch will be lower than it currently is and they will be building over the train lines on the North and East sides to give more space.  There will also be direct access to the site from Fulham Broadway tube.  Some good pics here. 

http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/04/in-pictures-chelseas-plans-to-redevelop-stamford-bridge-5543595/

This all subject to planning - which won't be straightforward - and will mean the club playing somewhere else - probably Wembley - for two years while it's being built. 

Cheers. It looks really smart, i like the extensive use of brickwork, looks cracking. 

38 minutes ago, aaid said:

I like the way Chelsea's planned ground looks sinisterly evil; like a Bond villain's dastardly lair.  Where the pitch could be rolled back at a moment's notice to reveal a vast underground of networked launchpads with capabilities of the sort of high end rocket-weaponery that could wipe out the moon, should it be deemed necessary by its megalomaniac commander.

I presume this was Roman's sole design brief.

22 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Standards in this place are slipping.  I had some wildly inaccurate calculations in my post above and not one of you picked on it!  If it had been about a Rangers tax return you'd have been all over it like a tramp eating chips!!  :wink2:

On 15/04/2016 at 10:47 AM, Parklife said:

Cheers. It looks really smart, i like the extensive use of brickwork, looks cracking. 

Yeah looks cool, a wee bit different from most stadiums