EU Referendum - Page 14 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

9 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Absolutely.

It's a bit of an insult to intelligent debate though, no matter who uses it. Did you listen to Farage on Andrew Marr this morning ?

No but I'm pretty comfortable knowing what he would be saying. I'm disappointed in the "dog whistle" immigrant tactics esp as countries like Norway who are out EU but in EEA have free movement and same issues/concerns. Can understand why they are doing it. Like the nonsense of NHS being privatised in Scotland used by Yes campaign the masses lap it up through ignorance.

7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Oof, what a clanger. And thats with oil prices still ridiculously low. 

Oil is currently about $50 a barrel which is almost double the average (adjusted for inflation) oil price over the past 50 years. It's oil prices of $100 which are unusual. 

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Oil is currently about $50 a barrel which is almost double the average (adjusted for inflation) oil price over the past 50 years. It's oil prices of $100 which are unusual. 

I was meaning low in comparison to the last few years , specifically around the referendum period and to the fact that NO voters  saying we would be bankrupt at current prices. 

It's striking how little we hear of the view from continental Europe, even though most opinion seems to want UK to stay 

e.g. No single market access for UK after Brexit, Wolfgang Schäuble says

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/10/no-single-market-access-for-uk-after-brexit-wolfgang-schauble-says

We hear almost nothing from ordinary MEPs (other than Farage)

So far the EU has managed to keep out of the debate (unlike Westminster in the indyref)

2 hours ago, girvanTA said:

Very good chaps. Only 73% out! I'm sure that theres a glitch in their somewhere

On a more serious note:

Would you sacrifice eu membership for Scottish independence?

Are you sure you didn't misread some of the questions?

1 hour ago, flumax said:

From the Express right enough, definite anti-EU bias there.

Saw Michael Gove on the news earlier in Eberdeen. He's certainly lost his accent compared to his parents...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36513022

3 minutes ago, jockodile said:

What chance a 'Vow' on free movement opt out if polls continue to show Brexit. Gotta imagine talking behind the scenes and the Daily Record dusting out their parchment

I was wondering the same thing.

I've also been thinking about what happened after the Danish rejected Maastricht Treaty ratification in a referendum. The treaty was tweaked and there was a second referendum the following year that favoured ratification. An In / Out referendum is a bit different but I could still see some hurriedly cobbled together fudge and a second 'Did You Really Mean It?' referendum in the event of a win for Leave.

Most likely scenario would be a general election (Cameron would be toast after a Leave vote), with potentially the Conservatives splitting into two separate parties. An election win for a Remain coalition would enable a second referendum following some more or less cosmetic tweaks to the UK's membership. 

A Leave result and Cameron's resignation wouldn't necessitate a general election constitutionally, but it could well happen, particularly if the Conservatives split irrevocably over his successor. I can see the EU thinking it worthwhile to chuck in a couple of concessions, as they did for the Danish between '92 & '93. Referendums are a daft way to run owt, to be honest.

The polls are certainly showing the the wider-UK public have more baws for change than we saw from the Scottish public during the indy referendum. 

Where in 2014 we thought that people would see through the threats and we had the concept that people wouldn't like being preached to by the establishment/Westminster elite - the idea was that the proud Scottish people would have tipped to 'Yes' with being on the receiving end of such treatment. It simply didn't happen (in enough numbers anyway). 

Looking back though, the scare stories worked a treat on us. The NHS, pensions, big business, jobs....  Scotland cowered down where the UK now seems to be standing up against the same tactics in the Brexit campaign. 

There's no doubt more to come though. It'll go in to overdrive in this next 10 days. Ever more pressure from corporations and I'll be amazed if there is not some form of VOW for reformed relations with the UK/EU. 

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out. 

One thing I find quite interesting is what I've heard from older voter / pensioners. Many have looked at the failed attempt to win over pensioners in Indyref and pointed the finger of blame regarding a reluctance to change and selfishness around their pension fears, etc.  I think this vote is going to blow that concept out of the water.  I suspect that most of that demographic will vote for Brexit (change), despite the threats (pensions).  IMO this will expose that the pensioner demographic are simply more pro-UK Union, having grown up in post-war Britain, with more of a sense of unity and Great Britain imperialism firmly in their mind.  The combination of all of those factors will almost certainly create a hostility to immigration and all of that will lead them towards a Brexit vote. 

Vow to come today - Gordon Brown is giving another off the cuff speech where he speaks his brains for an hour in front of an audience of infants clad in red t-shirts waving Labour RemaIN placards and saves Britain.

Expect every BBC channel to provide uninterrupted coverage of his keynote address as this beloved national treasure provides the insight that only he can muster, before the vow comes pulled straight out of his arse caked in blind man shit and waved under our cowardly noses to pull our nation back from the brink.

Thank you Lord Brown

1 hour ago, AlfieMoon said:

The polls are certainly showing the the wider-UK public have more baws for change than we saw from the Scottish public during the indy referendum. 

For most people leaving the EU would be an easier decision to make though. Far less emotional and financial attachment.

I think we underestimate the level of British nationalism in the Scottish population. This British nationalism is why Yes were unsuccessful in the Independence referendum.

The wider UK population are very much British nationalists, with a dislike for 'Johnny Foreigner coming over stealing jobs and sponging benefits'. The Leave campaign are capitalising on this.

On 12/06/2016 at 0:12 PM, Orraloon said:

That's a good point, i'm glad i pointed it out a few months back ;)