EU Referendum - Page 66 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2 hours ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Offfttt. The reaction is hugely encouraging. Where the EU sat on it's hands in 2014, might then now see Scotland as a champion of the EU and seek to exploit Scottish independence as a "f*** you" to Westminster?

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

Of course they will. Breaking up the UK is a fitting punishment and a relatively easy one to achieve now and all within a fairly short time. That will send a message of do not think about leaving to the others. Bound to happen now.

Farrage going there and rubbing their noses in it is very good news for us. Hopefully he really pisses them off (further) to the point they wildly support us staying in as a GRFUY in return. The standing ovation to what was a poorly delivered speech is a big indicator of things to come.

the arrogance of the leave campaign has been astounding, with their assumptions that everyone will just follow them by leaving. They could find themselves in a very lonely place

On 28 June 2016 at 1:04 PM, ParisInAKilt said:

It's interesting reading what people thik is going and went through the minds of Cameron, Cove and Johnson etc but I think it's a bit naive to think these people made glaring blunders, in terms of who really runs the country, these guys are just the public figures, there's an agenda in the background that we'll likely never be part of.

What is interesting is that Cameron had no reason to call the referendum, other than try to deal with the right of his party and outmanover UKIP. That worked well :lol:

1 minute ago, Stu101 said:

What is interesting is that Cameron had no reason to call the referendum, other than try to deal with the right of his party and outmanover UKIP. That worked well :lol:

And of course, that will be how he will be remembered for all time. 

7 hours ago, Stu101 said:

It's quite staggering really how he fell right headlong into the trap and failed to see even the possibility of this coming.  How the PM of a major nation (well, union of nations of course to be precise) could be so naïve is really rather breathtaking.

I think it shows him up for the low grade, life-inexperienced, naïve, unintelligent, career politician that got lucky test had us.  When you examine his career, it quickly becomes apparent that he has actually earned exceptionally little of his rise to prominence.

The cards all fell in his favour when he became Tory leader almost by default, then PM in pretty much the same way - you could've made Sooty or Sweep the Tory leader and they'd probably have defeated the toxic alternative that was Gordon Brown.  He then won the last election in a similar manner simply because Miliband was an even worse prospect.

Cameron has never been true PM material - just fractionally less bad than the alternatives.

UK politics is in a right sorry state right across the spectrum. Nicola Sturgeon is the only competent leader between pretty much the lot of them, although I would add that Ruth Davidson is looking relatively competent, despite the fact I hate her politics and disagree fundamentally with about 95% of what she says, as is Leanne Wood.

On 6/24/2016 at 0:37 PM, thplinth said:

The other person who this is a big win for is Rupert Murdoch. He has Gove in his pocket. Would not be at all surprised if he pushed him for PM at some point.

Now watch the Murdoch press carry water for him. 

Gove is multiple times worse than Blair. I am amazed more folk can't see through him. 

Edited by thplinth

What bothers me is we could end up with someone like Gove as PM who fills his cabinet with real right wing bawbags and who then gets to enjoy years of power before having to call a general election all on the back of David Cameron's victory and not his, quite the reverse in fact. That is totally unacceptable as a consequence of having a referendum on the EU. I can see whoever succeeds Cameron promising to call a snap election and then just doing a Gordon Brown and taking over someone else shoes. What a mess this is now. Cant ever remember both main parties being in such disarray at the same time. It is shocking to witness. Britain is like some farcical nation all of a sudden. 

Feel annoyed Cameron gets such an easy ride after resigning, he called this and should have stayed on to see it through regardless - cowardly to walk away now leaving this mess. As for Boris and Gove - these kents should be nowhere near power after this. Gove especially is an utter back stabber of the highest order. Who would trust him now ever again.

And the worst part - if Gove got the job he could probably call a snap election and win due to Labour being a total and completer shambles. Britain is in real danger of being hijacked by real loonballs on the right. It is a little worrying.

Edited by thplinth

2 minutes ago, thplinth said:

What bothers me is we could end up with someone like Gove as PM who fills his cabinet with real right wing bawbags and who then gets to enjoy years of power before having to call a general election all on the back of David Cameron's victory and not his, quite the reverse in fact. That is totally unacceptable as a consequence of having a referendum on the EU. I can see whoever succeeds Cameron promising to call one and then just doing a Gordon Brown and taking over someone else shoes. What a mess this is now. Cant ever remember both nain parties being in such disarray at the same time. It is shocking to witness. Britain is like some farcical nation all of a sudden. 

Feel annoyed Cameron gets such an easy ride after resigning, he called this and should have stayed on the see it through regardless - cowardly to walk away now leaving this mess. As for Boris and Gove - these kents should be nowhere near power after this. Gove especially is an utter back stabber of the highest order. Who would trust him now ever again.

And the worst part - if Gove got the job he could probably call a snap election and win due to Labour being a total and completer shambles. Britain is in real danger of being hijacked by real loonballs on the right. It is a little worrying.

It's pretty difficult to call now election now under the fixed term parliament act. 

They'd have to either repeal that - which would take time - or there would have to be a vote of no confidence.  You can't fake a vote of no confidence just to force the election.  The only parties who want an election now are UKIP and the Lib Dems who account for 9 MPs. 

Had it been a remain vote then I suspect that a large number of Tory rebels would have tried to force through a vote of no confidence and we would have had the bizarre possibility of Labour abstaining to protect the Tory government. 

12 minutes ago, aaid said:

It's pretty difficult to call now election now under the fixed term parliament act. 

They'd have to either repeal that - which would take time - or there would have to be a vote of no confidence.  You can't fake a vote of no confidence just to force the election.  The only parties who want an election now are UKIP and the Lib Dems who account for 9 MPs. 

Had it been a remain vote then I suspect that a large number of Tory rebels would have tried to force through a vote of no confidence and we would have had the bizarre possibility of Labour abstaining to protect the Tory government. 

Really. That has depressed me even further then as Cameron's successor will just use that as the reason not to seek a mandate of their own at the ballot box.

This EU vote has spiraled out of control.

Labour are in open civil war and are paralyzed as an effective opposition and the 'moderate' side of the Tory party has been vanquished as it clears out for a Bexit dominated cabinet who all or mostly all happen to sit much further out on the right than Cameron's government which was the one that people actually voted in. So this whole mess has opened up the door to the worst of the tory right to seize power and also removed any kind of real opposition to them for potentially years to come. This is huge mess and Cameron is largely to blame. It is like there is no one at the wheel any more and the new captain is getting selected from a group of nutters. Honestly all this from one referendum. What a gigantic and terrifying fukk-up this is. Leaving the EU is bad but this is just the start of our problems. I am praying for Theresa May to win FFS!! That is how fukked-up this is.

On 24/06/2016 at 11:10 PM, Orraloon said:
12 minutes ago, aaid said:

I know what you mean - and she is my MP!  And no, I didn't vote for her.

Quote thingy is mental 

David Cameron resigns cos he lost remain vote. Theresa May was on the remain side (doesn't want a general election till 2020) but wants to be PM. Fked up right enough. 

On 24/06/2016 at 2:28 PM, Flora MaDonald said:

5 hours ago, phart said:

Boris position in brief: "I may have helped create the mess, but I'm sure as hell not taking responsibility. Enjoy the rest of your crisis." Patrick Harvey

Ignore the crap above this. There appears to be no way to rid ourselves of cached posts evem after they've been posted. Total bombscare of a mobile site this is.

Anyway...

Isn't Boris's plan just to skip the next term (it's a lose-lose situation) then take the reigns for the following one when things have normalised a bit? Haven't followed the news on this at all but it seems like a logical move.

23 minutes ago, thewelk said:

Anyway...

Isn't Boris's plan just to skip the next term (it's a lose-lose situation) then take the reigns for the following one when things have normalised a bit? Haven't followed the news on this at all but it seems like a logical move.

So you're saying that this is all some sort of exotic triple cross?

Then again, maybe that's what the Gover wants him to think.