EU Referendum - Page 73 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Pound now down to 1.10 against the Euro

It might be worth fvck all when we wake up tomorrow

Clearly the Tories strategy is to make it too expensive for anyone to go anywhere meaning less need for immigration ...

All those expat pensioners on the Costas that voted leave must be delighted that their fixed income pensions are worth 25% less than they were a few months back must be delighted.  What's the Spanish for Schadenfreude?

43 minutes ago, aaid said:

All those expat pensioners on the Costas that voted leave must be delighted that their fixed income pensions are worth 25% less than they were a few months back must be delighted.  What's the Spanish for Schadenfreude?

I would imagine that the vast majority of Brits living abroad...whether working or retired...would be firmly in the 'remain' camp.

It's amazing how your perspective on life changes once you escape the tiny-minded, inward looking, xenophobic influence of the British media.

Surprised that more isn't being made of the negative effects already showing - for years we were told we need a strong currency and now all of a sudden a weak currency is good as it is supposed to help exports - ignoring that a country that imports more than it exports will be disadvantaged by a weak currency.

The UK in a few years is going to be a sorry place.  We need to get out now.  If they want to cut themselves off from us by having a hard border, let them do it.  They are the ones who will suffer.  The EU is not going to cave into the demands of the Leave fascists.

Edited by Alibi

2 hours ago, Alibi said:

Surprised that more isn't being made of the negative effects already showing - for years we were told we need a strong currency and now all of a sudden a weak currency is good as it is supposed to help exports - ignoring that a country that imports more than it exports will be disadvantaged by a weak currency.

The UK in a few years is going to be a sorry place.  We need to get out now.  If they want to cut themselves off from us by having a hard border, let them do it.  They are the ones who will suffer.  The EU is not going to cave into the demands of the Leave fascists.

That's the British English media for you - people are able to be manipulated by the media and they're not speaking out against what's happening; they're supporting it and therefore middle England is supporting what's going on! The UK Government is moving the country on to a slippy slope towards facism, IMO.

Hopefully this will help the 'Yes' side in any future indyref and if it doesn't, then I don't think Scotland will ever become independent, tbh.

Scotland will be independent by 2020.

The imposition of Trident, followed by Article 50 being triggered against our wishes by an unelected PM and the subsequent exit from the EU will tip more than enough voters to realise that what England wants isn't good enough for us.

Article 50 being triggered without a mandate from Parliament takes everything on to a new level, and 16 million plus remainers will not sit back meekly.

I maybe missed it but in the recent government policies, did they ever say anything abut fisheries?

Weren't there promises that Brexit would mean devolution of fisheries and other more powers to Holyrood?

38 minutes ago, exile said:

I maybe missed it but in the recent government policies, did they ever say anything abut fisheries?

Weren't there promises that Brexit would mean devolution of fisheries and other more powers to Holyrood?

Yes they did say that but they also said the NHS would get an extra £350 million a week. None of them have got a scooby what is going to happen.

22 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Yes they did say that but they also said the NHS would get an extra £350 million a week. None of them have got a scooby what is going to happen.

I meant in the recent conference when the Tories spelled out a lot of policies, interpretation of Brexit, new initiatives like the naming foreigners, all those announcements: in among all those announcements did they mention the fisheries or any other extra devolved powers?

5 minutes ago, exile said:

I meant in the recent conference when the Tories spelled out a lot of policies, interpretation of Brexit, new initiatives like the naming foreigners, all those announcements: in among all those announcements did they mention the fisheries or any other extra devolved powers?

Fisheries are devolved, and  I can't see why 40% of the industry in the rUK would overall the majority in Scotland. It'll remain in SG hands. 

What would  be fun to see is Scotland allowing access to UK (Scottish) waters to EU vessels and excluding EWNI.

personally I would rather be bent over for international Diplomacy than be bent over by rUK. 

Could be a lovely political football. 

1 hour ago, flumax said:

Fisheries are devolved,

Before going further: I mean that stuff people like Gove were coming out with - I mean *new* powers, - and even new powers over immigration - what happened to those? Gove vowed to 'renew and reboot the union'

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/pipe/news/scotland/michael-gove-vows-to-renew-and-reboot-the-union-after-brexit/

http://stv.tv/news/politics/1357274-michael-gove-brexit-could-lead-to-devolving-immigration/

37 minutes ago, exile said:

Before going further: I mean that stuff people like Gove were coming out with - I mean *new* powers, - and even new powers over immigration - what happened to those? Gove vowed to 'renew and reboot the union'

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/pipe/news/scotland/michael-gove-vows-to-renew-and-reboot-the-union-after-brexit/

http://stv.tv/news/politics/1357274-michael-gove-brexit-could-lead-to-devolving-immigration/

Not for one minute will there be any new powers. No chance.Did anyone in Scotland expect that?

Anyway we have one of the most powerful devolved assemblies in the world, near federalism,  don't you know. What more could we possibly wish for?

7 hours ago, flumax said:

Not for one minute will there be any new powers. No chance.Did anyone in Scotland expect that?

Anyway we have one of the most powerful devolved assemblies in the world, near federalism,  don't you know. What more could we possibly wish for?

i thought some from Labour were touting this. They seem to have gone silent - and the media, where is the media asking what happened to these promises? It seems Brexit means Westminster gripping Scotland ever tighter, who'd have thunk it?

5 hours ago, exile said:

i thought some from Labour were touting this. They seem to have gone silent - and the media, where is the media asking what happened to these promises? It seems Brexit means Westminster gripping Scotland ever tighter, who'd have thunk it?

Does it really matter what anybody from Labour says or thinks?

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

It's hotting up down South

CujWwfaW8AAeOu6.jpg

Cui8nXUWEAAqBZt.jpg

So the Express is advocating that those who oppose leaving the EU should be "silenced"?  Would these right wing racist xenophobic pricks care to elaborate on how they intend to do that?  Concentration camps?  Ach(tung) well, I suppose it will create employment and they can maybe connect the incinerators up to district heating systems.

To be fair, the Express is owned by Richard Desmond who's a renowned lover of all aspects of the UK other than its tax arrangements, hence the patriotic use of the Channel Islands and erm Luxembourg to funnel his profits through.