EU Referendum - Page 83 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, Lion Rampant said:

I'm going in July and i'm thinking the same :unsure:

I've cancelled my planned 14 day trip to the US this year. Will have 5 nights in NYC in October, i think. Not prepared to spend the money that a full two weeks will cost, due to the weak pound. 

My french friend seriously considering getting a British citizenship to be able to retain her very decent job in the highlands.

Plans on going on a career break for a year, worried she might lose the job.  Not angry, a bit worried.

Just felt wrong.  We need independence now.  

Coming round to the idea of if we're not prepared to take our stand in the world and Europe when the UK is going in this direction.  It's not Brexit, its the way they're going about it... then we don't deserve Independence.  It's a defining moment.  If the Yes side can't win now, then we'll never win.

I'm prepared to lose but we have to try.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

I've cancelled my planned 14 day trip to the US this year. Will have 5 nights in NYC in October, i think. Not prepared to spend the money that a full two weeks will cost, due to the weak pound. 

Have you been before Parkie ?

58 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Nope, never been. Both myself and the Mrs are desperate to go.

Great place to visit.  There is so much to see and do.  Particularly liked Ellen's Stardust Diner in Times Square with waitresses on the tables singing every few minutes.  The Highline is a hidden gem, a garden built on an abandoned high level railway line.  NY is pretty exhausting though.

13 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Great place to visit.  There is so much to see and do.  Particularly liked Ellen's Stardust Diner in Times Square with waitresses on the tables singing every few minutes.  The Highline is a hidden gem, a garden built on an abandoned high level railway line.  NY is pretty exhausting though.

Thanks. Had read about that Diner elsewhere, will check it out :ok: 

Hadn't ever heard of the Highline. Will take a look :) 

I'm expecting it to be tiring. I'm young and fit though so i'll cope. And if i'm too tired to have a few beers each night, i might save myself a good few quid :lol: 

23 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Thanks. Had read about that Diner elsewhere, will check it out :ok: 

Hadn't ever heard of the Highline. Will take a look :) 

I'm expecting it to be tiring. I'm young and fit though so i'll cope. And if i'm too tired to have a few beers each night, i might save myself a good few quid :lol: 

Got back last Sunday and already wanting to go back.

Would recommend Ellen's Stardust Diner as well. Highline was on my list but totally forgot about it by the time we were there.

I found getting around on foot a lot easier than expected.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Nope, never been. Both myself and the Mrs are desperate to go.

You'll both have a ball - an amazing city - I now know why it's often called the city that never sleeps, so much to do so many places to visit, and also we didn't find it too expensive at all (we where there for New Year & stayed on Broadway) great memories.

BBC news seem to be enthusing over prospects of Brexit, completely playing along with relaying the Trump worldview to the odious sycophantic Murdoch yes-man Gove... allowing the impression the Times columnist is new conduit of British foreign prospects, as dictated to us by Trump.

Funny though I think Trump said something like 'must be good to be an independent country again'  

2 hours ago, exile said:

BBC news seem to be enthusing over prospects of Brexit, completely playing along with relaying the Trump worldview to the odious sycophantic Murdoch yes-man Gove... allowing the impression the Times columnist is new conduit of British foreign prospects, as dictated to us by Trump.

Funny though I think Trump said something like 'must be good to be an independent country again'  

Gove got something of a kicking on today's Daily Politics.

Visited New York, Washington and Philidelphia some years back. Would recommend all three for various reasons. We were a little reticent about spending a few days in New York but now look back on it as one of our favourite places to visit. We will definitely go again. So much we never got round to doing in the three days we were there.

8 hours ago, aaid said:

Gove got something of a kicking on today's Daily Politics.

Matters not a jot.

The odious little shit has what he wants, which in effect is the whole direction of the country being dictated by around 80 hard-right Tory MP's + Farage.

He's just pishing himself laughing at any 'opposition'...

1 hour ago, weekevie04 said:

So the PM's big speech was basically a wish-list.

It was the same set of soundbites, platitudes, lies and half-truths that the whole Leave campaign was based on.

'Taking back control'. 'We won't be in the single market but actually we want to be in it'. 

It's a statement designed to appeal to Kippers and various other bigoted fanatics. The right-wing press will lap this pish up.

7 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

As well as a big Fvck You to the EU and Scotland

I doubt very much if the EU will bend over and take this up the arse. Many of the leaders will have been furious at May's arrogance today.

Unfortunately, plenty in Scotland will take this up the arse. 

8 hours ago, aaid said:

Verbally, from both Jo Coburn and the the Labour MP that was on.

Ok, so they air different views on a politics programme only a few people watch.

But on the main national news, the story isn't "Conservative MP acting as paid-for Murdoch journalist muddies the water for US-UK relations by saying 'yes' to everything dictated to him by president-elect" but something more like "Trump's gonna back a glorious British Brexit!" - in other words, almost exactly what Rupertrump would want them to say.

7 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

May has effectively neutralized EU's main leverage by stating she is willing to go with a hard Brexit on the basis no deal is better than poor deal. Could be a massive bluff on May's behalf.

She's simply saying what the hardliners want to hear.

She knows fine that the devil's in the detail and that a million legal details will lead to a compromise that was inevitable from day one. 

The important part for the likes of May is not the 'deal'. It's how it's presented. 

Holyrood voted 86 (SNP, green, labour) -36 (tory, Libdem) to seek membership of single market. 

Interesting stuff that labour didn't abstain or vote against.