EU Referendum - Page 87 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

23 hours ago, Rossy said:

I presume you ignore the comments sections of every single newspaper.

I don't read them to be fair, so you could be right :ok:

23 hours ago, aaid said:

I think to an extent that's understandable as you could argue that as Yes was the "change" option and BT was the status quo, it was incumbent on them to prove their case, perhaps a view that "well we know what things are like now, it's how things will be different in the future that's important".  

I think that is a very good point :ok:

Just now, Glasgowmancity said:

I don't read them to be fair, so you could be right :ok:

I think that is a very good point :ok:

Key point is that next time - assuming its in the context of Brexit - there isn't really a status quo, either option will represent change and there will be two very different views of what the future will be.

6 hours ago, flumax said:

I think what is going here is that the Scottish government manage the fishing area in its territory, but when it comes to negotiations with the eu on quotas etc, It is the uk government who is responsible.

"Holyrood manages rural development, agriculture, forestry, and natural heritage.

The Scottish government also aims to influence the UK government in Europe on issues such as fisheries, although it has no formal role in international negotiations"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-12849111

Edited by antidote

On 19 January 2017 at 11:03 PM, Ally Bongo said:

Joanna Cherry excellent again today giving it to Weetabix

Just watched that. Seen so many politicians crumble when they dont have exact figures and Andrew Neil crucifies them. She just swept it aside, kept her composure and sailed through . Felt Andrew Neil was almost humbled by the end. Plus she made Douglas Carswell look like a complete dunderheid. 

4 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Supreme Court rules 8-3 in favour of Parliament deciding on Article 50. May cannot unilaterally trigger it.

Devolved Parliaments do not need to be consulted though.

That last bit isn't going to go down well.  Establishment stitch-up?

7 minutes ago, Alibi said:

That last bit isn't going to go down well.  Establishment stitch-up?

It's not an establishment stitch up, at least not in the way you mean it, it's the reality of devolution.  Power devolved is power reserved.

In building the case for Indyref2, this is a much better outcome for the SNP than if Holyrood had to pass a legislative consent motion which would be ignored.   

This demonstrates the democratic deficit much more starkly. 

Just now, aaid said:

It's not an establishment stitch up, at least not in the way you mean it, it's the reality of devolution.  Power devolved is power reserved.

In building the case for Indyref2, this is a much better outcome for the SNP than if Holyrood had to pass a legislative consent motion which would be ignored.   

This demonstrates the democratic deficit much more starkly. 

That was my thoughts. 

"Look guys, you are totally powerless, suck it up and come back for more when you are ready".

Surely there's only so much the Scottish people will take of this. Or are they relying on Scots to be "better the devil you know" until the end of time?

J

ll bet a lot of government officials are flying around like blue ersed flies right now.:lol: Although they probably had a good idea that that was how it was going to go. I wonder how quickly they can get a bill through parliament? Will it be possible for ardent remainers to slow it down or are there time limits on the debate? Will the lords slow it down? 

May will simply introduce a one line bill before Parliament as soon as possible, and the Tories and Labour....cowards that they are... will rubber-stamp it.

What the ruling today did confirm, unsurprisingly, is that Scotland is simply a region under Westminster control. Any confusion about it being 'devolved', or 'an equal part of a federal UK', has been blown out of the water.

Where's Gordon Brown and his 'vow' now ?

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

May will simply introduce a one line bill before Parliament as soon as possible, and the Tories and Labour....cowards that they are... will rubber-stamp it

Yes, there might be a few rogue Labour MPs who won't back it, but the Tory -who were remain- MPs will all vote for Brexit. Labour will abstain although it's looking like Scotland's hero Alasdair Carmichael will vote against it.

The Libs seem to be pushing 'we are the party of Europe' message that has seen them pick up a MP seat and will be hoping win them council seats, by-elections and back some of those MP seats they lost in 2015.

40 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Yes, there might be a few rogue Labour MPs who won't back it, but the Tory -who were remain- MPs will all vote for Brexit. Labour will abstain although it's looking like Scotland's hero Alasdair Carmichael will vote against it.

The Libs seem to be pushing 'we are the party of Europe' message that has seen them pick up a MP seat and will be hoping win them council seats, by-elections and back some of those MP seats they lost in 2015.

The LibDems have shit all to lose and...quite rightly actually...only see benefit in being the 'European' party.

Labour...if the had any leadership...should have been strident and vocal in opposing Brexit and the Tories every step of the way. But they haven't been, because they have no leadership.

Once again, they look weak and compliant in the face of the Tories desire to make the rUK a one party, ultra right-wing state.

On 1/16/2017 at 3:01 PM, Parklife said:

Thanks. Had read about that Diner elsewhere, will check it out :ok: 

Hadn't ever heard of the Highline. Will take a look :) 

I'm expecting it to be tiring. I'm young and fit though so i'll cope. And if i'm too tired to have a few beers each night, i might save myself a good few quid :lol: 

I'e been to New York about half a dozen times now. Give me a shout if you're looking for some pointers (I also work in travel, which helps!!).

33 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I'e been to New York about half a dozen times now. Give me a shout if you're looking for some pointers (I also work in travel, which helps!!).

Cheers man. Will give you a shout to pick your brains once we book up. Ta :ok: 

5 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

How so?  Was replying to Parkie's post in this very thread.

Ah Ok. Maybe you can share the award with him then. ;)I wasn't complaining, just confused as to how we got from slagging off westminster politicians to discussing your holidays. I was quite  impressed how we took such a big leap in the space of one post. I suppose if I could be bothered reading further back in the thread it would become obvious?

12 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Ah Ok. Maybe you can share the award with him then. ;)I wasn't complaining, just confused as to how we got from slagging off westminster politicians to discussing your holidays. I was quite  impressed how we took such a big leap in the space of one post. I suppose if I could be bothered reading further back in the thread it would become obvious?

I'll take that award and you can take the moany bugger award? ;) 

8 hours ago, kumnio said:

Its right though.

Be very interesting if the government fails to get this through. Could Farage and Gove explode on live TV..

They won't fail to get it through. There may well be a sizeable minority that vote against it, but it will pass without any trouble.

Whole court case is a total waste of money and time. Yes it should go through parliament as all legislation should.

Will it make a difference? No of course not, all the parties have said they will vote yes so what's the point in challenging it.

Should the devolved parliament's be consulted? No, it's not a devolved matter, what's the point. How about they spend their time doing something constructive instead of wasting hundreds of thousands of pounds debating something they have no power to affect. That's why there are MPs in Westminster