Scottish Cup Final 2016: Hibernian v Rangers - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Cup Final 2016: Hibernian v Rangers

2 hours ago, ShedTA said:

does that apply to all clubs? Utd could easily sell 25,000 for a cup final but we never get the option v celtic or rangers.

Yes the arguments apply to all clubs. Whether or not the SFA chose to do a 50-50 split is anyones guess though.

Also, united got a 50-50 split for the semi-final at Ibrox against Rangers but were only able to sell approx 10k tickets. I think the extra 15k people who would want a ticket for the final is where a lot of people have problems. Still think it should be a 50-50 split if possible though, but can understand why people get annoyed.

Edited by theweestevie

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

We would never sell 25,000 for a cup final against the Old Firm.

We only sold more than that for Ross County and St Johnstone because some people want to come and cheer a winning team.

not sure I agree Adam. if utd had a decent side and were playing reasonably well as they were in the season we played ross county and st johnstone, or perhaps hadn't been to a final for a few years,  I believe we would. 

Though we wont ever know as we never get the 50/50 option.

28 minutes ago, theweestevie said:

Yes the arguments apply to all clubs. Whether or not the SFA chose to do a 50-50 split is anyones guess though.

Also, united got a 50-50 split for the semi-final at Ibrox against Rangers but were only able to sell approx 10k tickets. I think the extra 15k people who would want a ticket for the final is where a lot of people have problems. Still think it should be a 50-50 split if possible though, but can understand why people get annoyed.

I believe we took nearly 13,000 to Ibrox. and yes it was only a semi final. I wouldn't say ONLY 13,000 for a semi final in Glasgow at the opposing teams ground is a bad turnout - would you?

agreed it should always be a 50/50 split - no argument there.

7 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

I believe we took nearly 13,000 to Ibrox. and yes it was only a semi final. I wouldn't say ONLY 13,000 for a semi final in Glasgow at the opposing teams ground is a bad turnout - would you?

agreed it should always be a 50/50 split - no argument there.

Ok, only was bad phrasing on my part, I wasn't having a dig at the support and didn't mean to suggest it was a bad turnout. It was more intended to emphasise the difference in demand between semi-finals and finals.

55 minutes ago, theweestevie said:

Ok, only was bad phrasing on my part, I wasn't having a dig at the support and didn't mean to suggest it was a bad turnout. It was more intended to emphasise the difference in demand between semi-finals and finals.

aye, no that's fine, I wasn't being funny. i  totally agree all teams should get a 50/50 for finals regardless of size. if they cant sell then the other team gets them. we have never had it v the ugly sisters though, so interested where the line is with regards who does get it and who doesn't.

2 hours ago, Rossy said:

Aye, sorry. I knew it was wrong when I typed it, but I was trying to multi-task and that's a recipe for problems at any given time.

Danny Wilson. What went wrong with him then ?

The usual.  Head turned by a big money move to Liverpool where he didn't play first team football for anyone for years and his development was destroyed. 

It helped that he was playing with Davie Weir at Rangers so was made to look better than he actually was.

4 hours ago, Rossy said:

I didn't watch all of the game last night but I saw enough to realise that Rangers maybe aren't as good as they think they are, and that beating a really piss-poor Celtic team isn't a guarantee that the cup is won.

Without ever playing all that well, Hibs managed to win the game by aimlessly lobbing a few balls into the penalty area and watching Rangers central defence trip over themselves to see who could make the biggest arse of it.

Whatever happened to Scott Wilson ? He's awful.

Even Alan Stubbs is clever enough to see what needs to be done to score goals against Rangers. If they can replicate that in the final, no reason why Hibs won't win the cup this year.

Watched it in the background at the pub last night, to be fair to Rangers it was a much bigger game for Hibs than it was for them. And had an element of 'after the Lord Mayor's show' about it too coming so soon after the OF game. In addition, most Rangers fans have accepted that their defence isn't great. Conversely I think there is a danger that some - not all - are reading too much into the Celtic game, it was a one off and this is a particularly poor Celtic side.

The Danny Wilson question is an interesting one, he looked OK in the Championship last season (not great, but OK) in a team that was strolling through most games, often against part-time opposition. Maybe the Championship is his level. Similarly Gomis was excellent in the Championship for us, quickly got found out  - and punted out on loan - in the first few months of this season. 

5 hours ago, Rossy said:

I didn't watch all of the game last night but I saw enough to realise that Rangers maybe aren't as good as they think they are, and that beating a really piss-poor Celtic team isn't a guarantee that the cup is won.

Without ever playing all that well, Hibs managed to win the game by aimlessly lobbing a few balls into the penalty area and watching Rangers central defence trip over themselves to see who could make the biggest arse of it.

Whatever happened to Scott Wilson ? He's awful.

Even Alan Stubbs is clever enough to see what needs to be done to score goals against Rangers. If they can replicate that in the final, no reason why Hibs won't win the cup this year.

Funnily enough, I watched the highlights of our game against The Rangers last night and was very surprised at the amount of chances we actually created. At the game, I felt as though they controlled everything but in fact only had 9 shots in total. I think Hibs have a real chance in the final, no doubts about it.

17 minutes ago, Mox said:

Funnily enough, I watched the highlights of our game against The Rangers last night and was very surprised at the amount of chances we actually created. At the game, I felt as though they controlled everything but in fact only had 9 shots in total. I think Hibs have a real chance in the final, no doubts about it.

Interesting point. I'd haven't seen much of Rangers this season but I was mightily impressed with their ball retention on Sunday.

Same last night. They hold onto the ball really well and move it around pretty sharpish....outside the box. It gives the impression that they're pressurising teams all the time when actually, Gordon and Oxley didn't have as much to do as you'd think. 

That's not meant as a criticism. This Rangers side has obviously come on leaps and bounds in a year and they have some really impressive young Scottish players. But if it doesn't all click in the final, they could have problems against a much more direct Hibs side. 

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

Interesting point. I'd haven't seen much of Rangers this season but I was mightily impressed with their ball retention on Sunday.

Same last night. They hold onto the ball really well and move it around pretty sharpish....outside the box. It gives the impression that they're pressurising teams all the time when actually, Gordon and Oxley didn't have as much to do as you'd think. 

That's not meant as a criticism. This Rangers side has obviously come on leaps and bounds in a year and they have some really impressive young Scottish players. But if it doesn't all click in the final, they could have problems against a much more direct Hibs side. 

I agree with some of your points but to be honest I don't think we played that well against Celtic. Our ball retention was very good but we were severely lacking up front. Waghorn and Forrester would have improved us significantly in that respect. 

The game last night was a shambles. We gave Hibs a 2 goal start only for Oxley to give 1 back! We were as poor as we've been all season and Hibs still struggled to beat us. Maybe that win will give them confidence, you never know but it doesn't really indicate anything. 

Forgot to say, we have also developed a tendency to try and walk the ball in like Arsenal and we're not good enough for that yet. 

Edited by RenfrewBlue

Rangers most of the posession last night but similar to what Hibs have experienced posession and passing the ball side to side doesn't win games. 

At the game I never felt that Rangers had much of a scoring threat apart from Oxley making a mess of things. 

Wallace and Tavernier never really got in behind us and we made them try and play through us. 

Tactics worked as have when other teams have done it to us. 

Danny Wilson and the other centre half on that showing are pretty poor.

If we gonna have any chance in the final then we have to line up with 3 5 2 again and with Logan in goals.

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I agree with some of your points but to be honest I don't think we played that well against Celtic. Our ball retention was very good but we were severely lacking up front. Waghorn and Forrester would have improved us significantly in that respect. 

The game last night was a shambles. We gave Hibs a 2 goal start only for Oxley to give 1 back! We were as poor as we've been all season and Hibs still struggled to beat us. Maybe that win will give them confidence, you never know but it doesn't really indicate anything. 

Forgot to say, we have also developed a tendency to try and walk the ball in like Arsenal and we're not good enough for that yet. 

RB I think you have the core of a decent team there. Defence needs a bit of sorting out but you are not far away.

I have watched Falkirk play against Rangers and Hibs this season and I don't think there is much difference between them. Warburton is enjoying alot of praise at the moment, but I will not be surprised if his Magic hat dissapears next season just like Ronnies Roar.

1 hour ago, ShedTA said:

RB I think you have the core of a decent team there. Defence needs a bit of sorting out but you are not far away.

We need 2 good centre halves and a good defensive midfielder.  Those are the key positions to strengthen for me.

We also need some depth in the squad but I agree with your point.

I think, assuming Celtic don't really splash the cash that it could be a 4 way fight next season with Hearts an Aberdeen. Might make it properly exciting. 

14 hours ago, Rossy said:

We have a lot of corners in most games. A lot of our attacking play conisists of driving crosses in low which a lot of the time gets blocked just before the ball reaches a Rangers player. So while Gordon and Oxley perhaps don't have as much to do as you would expect, the defence has a lot to do with last ditch blocks.

11 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

We need 2 good centre halves and a good defensive midfielder.  Those are the key positions to strengthen for me.

We also need some depth in the squad but I agree with your point.

I think, assuming Celtic don't really splash the cash that it could be a 4 way fight next season with Hearts an Aberdeen. Might make it properly exciting. 

yes , I posted something similar the other day. if celtic don't go mental could be an exciting top league. unfortunately we wont be participating...:(

13 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

yes , I posted something similar the other day. if celtic don't go mental could be an exciting top league. unfortunately we wont be participating...:(

I'll miss the games against Utd but hopefully you'll have a good rebuilding season and return stronger.

It'd be nice to gub you a few times though. ?

On 4/21/2016 at 5:36 AM, neil r said:

A whole 12 231 there last night including Rangers punters, for what was one of Hibs biggest games i

of the season. 8000 Hibs fans dressed as seats.

Can't wait for the faux outragous seething if it's not 50-50.

I remember being at Tynecastle in the mid 90s when you were getting 8 or 9,000 at home.

22 hours ago, Geed said:

Agree with guy below mate, if it was a neutral cup final like Utd against Aberdeen or Dundee or anyone else outside of the old scum Utd would sell 25,000 no bother.  A lot of fans don't like it when its a cup final against them and wouldn't go just because of bigotry side of it.  Sure Killie took 25,000 against Ayr in a cup semi but know a few Killie fans that don't go to games against the old scum with there kids or that because don't want there kids to be in that kind of atmosphere you get against them.  I am a Motherwell fan but all our recent cup finals have been against the them and 15,000 does us against them as again a lot of folk don't want take there family whens its them.

This

We took something like 16,000 to the League Cup Semi vs Ayr in a crowd of just over 25,000. 

We took 25,000 to the Scottish Cup Final Vs Falkirk in 97 and 18,000 to the League Cup FInal vs Hibs in 2007.

We've played Celtic twice in Legaue Cup Finals and taken less than we took to the Semi Final vs Ayr! Think we took 13,000 the tirst time and just over 12,000 the second time. 

Each club should get teh chance to sell 50% each though, it's a neutral venue and should be treated as such. I couldn't care less how many season ticket holders Celtic or Rangers have. 

If Man Utd play Fulham at Wembley, each team gets 50% initially. It's not even up for debate.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

We took something like 16,000 to the League Cup Semi vs Ayr in a crowd of just over 25,000. 

We took 25,000 to the Scottish Cup Final Vs Falkirk in 97 and 18,000 to the League Cup FInal vs Hibs in 2007.

We've played Celtic twice in Legaue Cup Finals and taken less than we took to the Semi Final vs Ayr! Think we took 13,000 the tirst time and just over 12,000 the second time. 

Each club should get teh chance to sell 50% each though, it's a neutral venue and should be treated as such. I couldn't care less how many season ticket holders Celtic or Rangers have. 

If Man Utd play Fulham at Wembley, each team gets 50% initially. It's not even up for debate.

Totally agree. Start with a 50/50 split and if one team sells out whilst the other doesn't within a set time, you pass over the unsold tickets. 

Doesn't seem difficult to me.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Yeah ahh mind that game you took some support to the game against Ayr.

Agree more fans attend cup finals if its not against the old scum

Yeah 50/50 defo agree if you can sell them and have the support to sell it.

Somebody had posted the figures on the Motherwell forum, but I think Motherwell have a small drop in home attendance for league games v Celtic and rangers.

Combination of folk not taking kids, folk from main stand who don't like being surrounded and some who must just not fancy it.

37 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Somebody had posted the figures on the Motherwell forum, but I think Motherwell have a small drop in home attendance for league games v Celtic and rangers.

Combination of folk not taking kids, folk from main stand who don't like being surrounded and some who must just not fancy it.

My St Jonhstone supporting boss says the same happens for them. They get bigger gates for games against Dundee and Dundee United than against Rangers/Celtic.

11 minutes ago, theweestevie said:

My St Jonhstone supporting boss says the same happens for them. They get bigger gates for games against Dundee and Dundee United than against Rangers/Celtic.

I wonder what impact changed kick-off times for TV has on that though.

St Johnstone crowds this season:

Dundee Utd (Sat): 4634

Dundee (Friday night): 4,598

Aberdeen (Sat): 5712

Celtic (Sun): 6418