New Celtic Manager - Page 8 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

All over twittersphere that Martinez has been sacked though there is nothing official

Would imagine that the Everton gig would be Moyes first choice and Martinez will be punted for Celtic

If he gets the job is the likely scenario that in the opening week of the season Celtic play away from home and look like Barcelona then hover around the relegation spots for the remainder before coming onto a game again in the last few weeks to save themselves ?

Thats kinda been his modus operandi with Wigan and Everton

All this pish about him being a manager that has his teams playing the "right" way

A charlatan

Edited by Ally Bongo

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

All over twittersphere that Martinez has been sacked though there is nothing official

Would imagine that the Everton gig would be Moyes first choice and Martinez will be punted for Celtic

If he gets the job is the likely scenario that in the opening week of the season Celtic play away from home and look like Barcelona then hover around the relegation spots for the remainder before coming onto a game again in the last few weeks to save themselves ?

Thats kinda been his modus operandi with Wigan and Everton

All this pish about him being a manager that has his teams playing the "right" way

A charlatan

Disagree pretty strongly. 

At Swansea he took them from mid-table also rans to League One Champions in 18 months. He then finished just 1 point outside the play-offs spots in the Championship the following year. 

Martinez kept Wigan in the league when their budget suggested they should go down. He had them playing football that was enjoyable to watch and he won an FA Cup. The job he did there was outstanding. 

Everton had an excellent season in his first year and were very near to getting in to one of the Champions League spots. I'd wager that most Everton fans enjoyed that season more than any other they've had in a long time. He's brought through Barkley (who David Moyes never gave a chance to), John Stones, Ben Galloway and has signed some excellent young players in Besic and Deulofeu.

Since then the team have regressed, Martinez seems unable to fix the obvious problems they have defensively and it's costing them massively. Ultimately that is going to cost him his job. However, i think you're doing him a massive disservice.  

8 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

If it is to be Steve Clarke, as a few 'in the know' punters are suggesting, I really hope Slasher got to the bookies. 66-1 a couple of days ago into 3-1 apparently. 

There's got to be money to be made on these markets for folk.

back a 66/1 shot, start a rumour, send a few tweets or whatever, and next thing your mans 3/1. Then lay him off.

I mucked up big time when Tony Mowbray got the Celtic job, I'd been backing and laying Mowbray and Coyle, but inexplicably put all my eggs in the Owen coyle basket, meaning I broke even if Mowbray got it, and would've won about £1200 if Coyle got it.

Cant remember the exact ins and outs, but think I'd only ever had a out £10 of my own money at stake.

6 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

If it is to be Steve Clarke, as a few 'in the know' punters are suggesting, I really hope Slasher got to the bookies. 66-1 a couple of days ago into 3-1 apparently. 

I've a load of time for Steve Clarke, primarily due to his time at Chelsea as a player and as Assistant Manager.  I reckon he's a great coach and assistant but not cut out for the manager's role and certainly not in a job as pressured as Celtic. 

15 minutes ago, aaid said:

I've a load of time for Steve Clarke, primarily due to his time at Chelsea as a player and as Assistant Manager.  I reckon he's a great coach and assistant but not cut out for the manager's role and certainly not in a job as pressured as Celtic. 

Steve Clarke is too likeable.  That just wouldn't do.

Can't imagine Celtic fans getting to enthused about Steve Clarke. Strikes me as exactly the type board would want. Would find it hilarious if Keane got it - even watching him as a pundit on itv you can tell he would just upset far too many folk involved wether it be players, off field staff, directors etc

8 hours ago, Parklife said:

At Swansea he took them from mid-table also rans to League One Champions in 18 months. He then finished just 1 point outside the play-offs spots in the Championship the following year. 

Martinez kept Wigan in the league when their budget suggested they should go down. He had them playing football that was enjoyable to watch and he won an FA Cup. The job he did there was outstanding. 

Everton had an excellent season in his first year and were very near to getting in to one of the Champions League spots. I'd wager that most Everton fans enjoyed that season more than any other they've had in a long time. He's brought through Barkley (who David Moyes never gave a chance to), John Stones, Ben Galloway and has signed some excellent young players in Besic and Deulofeu.

Since then the team have regressed, Martinez seems unable to fix the obvious problems they have defensively and it's costing them massively. Ultimately that is going to cost him his job. However, i think you're doing him a massive disservice.  

Spot on.

6 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

Haha aye that's a very good point. I was reading Mark Warburton was 66's in some bookies :)

Not got the experience to manage a top club.

Hasnt he always been a lower league manager ? 

Awaiting the incoming :lol: 

7 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

He's a much better manager than he was player for Motherwell!

:lol:

Would make most fans diddy XI, complete waste of a jersey.

I was speaking to a lad about him yesterday and the topic came up about better managers than they were players.

This lad laughed and said Martin O'Neil falls into that category.

Martin O'Neil ? The double European Cup winner !!!! 

Red faced mate walked off :lol: 

9 hours ago, Parklife said:

Everyone is entitled to an opinion

Did you take into consideration the squad he inherited ?

1 hour ago, jock strap said:

Spot on.

Everton fans (who's opinion is probably more worthy than ours) would seem to disagree

8 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Everton fans (who's opinion is probably more worthy than ours) would seem to disagree

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and yes, I agree that the Everton fans are restless and unsettled with him at this very moment.

But I know quite a few Everton fans mate, some of whom are season ticket holders who still rate him as a decent manager. 

I valid their opinion aswell.

But each to their own.

I'd have him at Dundee United any day of the week :lol: 

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Everyone is entitled to an opinion

Did you take into consideration the squad he inherited ?

Yeah, he inherited a decent squad. He immediately got an excellent season from that squad and supplemented it with some excellent young players. He made players who were already there better. 

As I said, he's been unable to fix his sides defensive deficiencies. That'll cost him his job. It doesn't make his previous good work (at both Everton, Swansea or Wigan) worthless though. 

I think Martinez has his sights set higher than Celtic I'd imagine. 

As far as I'm aware, and despite a poorer season with Everton, he's pretty well thought of in England. I'd imagine that he wouldn't be out of a Premiership job for long.

Please, please, please let it be Roy Keane.

Reckon Martinez got the long term structure from Moyes and then breathed a new spirit into Everton which gave them a big burst that lasted one season before they decayed gradually to where we are now. Martinez's big success in his first season made Moyes look even more terrible in his first season. But now Martinez is pulling Moyes' reputation back out the fire a bit.

Edited by thplinth

15 hours ago, thplinth said:

Reckon Martinez got the long term structure from Moyes and then breathed a new spirit into Everton which gave them a big burst that lasted one season before they decayed gradually to where we are now. Martinez's big success in his first season made Moyes look even more terrible in his first season. But now Martinez is pulling Moyes' reputation back out the fire a bit.

My brother is a season ticket holder at Goodison, lives down there now and I've been going regularly since 2000. 

Martinez is an extremely likeable man and his ethos on football is admirable but there are some serious doubt about his credibility as a manager.

First season was outstanding. Highest points ever achieved by an Everton side in premiership. Could strongly be argued that this was down to the defensive stability left by moyes being complimented by a newly implemented attacking flair. It was a joy to behold.

Last season the cracks started to appear. Big time. Defensively shocking and the amount of goals lost as a direct and indirect result of an inability to defend set pieces was inexcusable.

This season started promisingly. Some great football being played but once more the inability to defend, particularly set pieces again has led to where we are now which is in a position currently where Everton have their worst home point total in their long history.

Additionally players have came out and raised some genuinely staggering claims. Distin and Osman, who was particularly damning in his book, have both said that the team simply do not work on set pieces defensively or in an attacking sense. Distin was also highly critical of the fitness levels under Martinez. That is staggering incompetence and inexcusable at this level. Baines, team captain has came out on 3 occasions over the last 12 months, once to critique the shape and how exposed it left the team, he claims to have approached Martinez with his concerns which were dismissed. Twice this season he has again critiqued our defensive shape and our "chemistry". It has also been acknowledged that Martinez does not make substitutions. He leaves this massively important aspect to Graeme Jones, his assistant. Bizarre, but could work I suppose, it hasn't though. Spectacularly so at times. That's not even talking about his unbelievable loyalty to Howard, worth at least a goal a game to the opposition over the past two years, which ultimately will play a big part in his dismissal.

He has in the last 8 weeks completely lost the team. Not something I like to see but it was clear as day and at that point there is rarely a route back. The fine second half performance on Saturday seemed to scream out that the players ignored instruction and went out and expressed themselves. 

A throughly nice guy, if not horrifically stubborn and did have some fine success at Swansea and Wigan originally but they ultimately suffered from his lack of defensive coaching ability as Everton are now.

A manager who is capable of getting teams playing fabulous football but a complete lack of tactical awareness, which is a shame. 

19 hours ago, jock strap said:

I was speaking to a lad about him yesterday and the topic came up about better managers than they were players.

This lad laughed and said Martin O'Neil falls into that category.

Martin O'Neil ? The double European Cup winner !!!! 

Red faced mate walked off :lol: 

Heard Hugh Keevins (briefly) on the radio last night saying O'Neill is the only man who can fix the mess the club is in...

21 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Heard Hugh Keevins (briefly) on the radio last night saying O'Neill is the only man who can fix the mess the club is in...

:lol:

What an idiot.

I doubt Martin O'neill would relish that challenge. He was a bit of his time, for want of a better description.

17 hours ago, Rossy said:

I think Martinez has his sights set higher than Celtic I'd imagine. 

As far as I'm aware, and despite a poorer season with Everton, he's pretty well thought of in England. I'd imagine that he wouldn't be out of a Premiership job for long.

Please, please, please let it be Roy Keane.

Don't wet your wellies Rossy !!!  -  Keane will be no where near the Celtic job