Worst 5 pubs you've been in - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Worst 5 pubs you've been in

6 hours ago, Toepoke said:

The Captain's Rest on Great Western Road was a right rough shop the couple of times I was in it. Was in it the other week for the first time in decades and it's been seriously gentrified. Called Munro's now as well.

2 hours ago, Mox said:

Munro's - Thought for my last one I would go for one of these pubs that has replaced an old mans boozer. This is on Great Western Road and I like craft beer as much as the next man but this place just takes the p!ss with it's prices. £5.60 for a pint of Camden lager, full of folk with that awful west end accent, not particularly nice inside and the food was expensive and not very nice.

Forgot to add I stuck to the Cally Best when I saw the prices on the board!

2 hours ago, Mox said:

Cock Tavern - This ones in Euston and I went there to watch a celtic game just after i'd move down. Awful beer, awful location, awful looking, awful.

Awful name too. You wouldn't want to ask for directions. Good job it's not in Soho...

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Donaldo87 said:

Ended up in a right dump in Gourock while waiting for the ferry recently. Cant mind the name though.

When I lived in Bridgeton for a while the pubs were interesting...

The Kempock in Gourock is the one ^_^

Really surprised that NO Irish pubs abroad have been mentioned!

Worst pub I've been in recently was a wee sports bar in Prague that was reeking of smoke.

Another few on my top 5 would be a Witherspoon pub in Middlesbrough, Springfield Vaults, Louden at Ibrox and the pub behind the beach end at Pittodrie.

6 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

The Springfield Vaults and Turnstiles only open on matchdays, but are both utter shit holes.

Theres a pub just up that road towards the shopping centre called the oak bar I think, it's open during the week and looks intersting.

Come to think of it, nearly every pub round that way looks interesting.

That Real McCoy pub probably does well when there's events on at the Emirates, but can't imagine it's the jakeys choice on a Tuesday afternoon.

:lol:

We were in the Oak Tavern last year because the Vaults wouldn't let Dons fans in. 

If you want to see what 1920's Glasgow looked like, head in there.

6 hours ago, tangerinetartan said:

The maltman, and bowbridge bar both within spitting distance of dens both shiiite holes and the punters are twats of the highest order

Aye, the Bowbridge is a good call for the most depressing, soulless shithole in a city that excels in them... :lol:

(It's got some great pubs as well, Dundee)

Another vote for The Goose on union street, Glasgow although I was only in once and it was 15+ years ago.

It was my first taste of a wetherspoons type pub and it was terrible. Nae music, nae atmosphere, nae telly, nae nothing. Just lots of folk sitting about getting really jaked cos it was the cheapest in the town. Sticking to the carpet, seats ripped, mirrors in the toilets all cracked/smashed.

I don't think you could actually buy a single measure of vodka. There was some offer on where a double was only 10p more than a single. All the optics were double measures.

Oh and The Horseshoe in Glasgow, I think the only pub I've ever been in where the reek of pish from the gents filled the whole bar and nobody seemed to notice. Or maybe they were regulars and immune to it.

56 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Another vote for The Goose on union street, Glasgow although I was only in once and it was 15+ years ago.

It was my first taste of a wetherspoons type pub and it was terrible. Nae music, nae atmosphere, nae telly, nae nothing. Just lots of folk sitting about getting really jaked cos it was the cheapest in the town. Sticking to the carpet, seats ripped, mirrors in the toilets all cracked/smashed.

I don't think you could actually buy a single measure of vodka. There was some offer on where a double was only 10p more than a single. All the optics were double measures.

Oh and The Horseshoe in Glasgow, I think the only pub I've ever been in where the reek of pish from the gents filled the whole bar and nobody seemed to notice. Or maybe they were regulars and immune to it.

Agree with everything you say about the Goose.  Have always liked the Horseshoe though for a couple of jars, lot of old Glasga charm, admittedly that includes the bogs...

10 hours ago, Big Col said:

Downstairs?

9 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Have always liked the Horseshoe though for a couple of jars, lot of old Glasga charm, admittedly that includes the bogs...

Agree with this, the Horseshoe is a good bar to kill an hour with a paper and a pint. Not been upstairs in over ten years but was once up there with a mate from England who was genuinely stunned at the quality of some of the folk up singing karaoke! Had many a good night in the Horseshoe :ok:

20 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Been in loads of shit pubs!

Some that immediately come to mind:

The Star - Port Glasgow

looks terrible from outside, got a Celtic club crest painted on the wall inside, don't think it had a ladies toilet IIRC?

Turnstyles bar - parkhead

Was meeting my mate (the same guy that took me to the star actually) and was early, so decided to go in for a pint. Was a full blown IRAoke, with a large group of scary Irish folk standing on the table belting out rebel songs.

Dalzell Arms - Motherwell

My sister had crashed my car, so got the train up to fir park, was an EPL lunchtime kick off on, so nipped in for a pint to catch 2nd half. Nae Sky, just a few old boys watching channel 4 racing. Dump of a pub, shutdown now.

Dohertys - Hamilton

(according to google maps, that's it's name, behind the asda)

Buckfast available, enough said.

im sure there's loads of others!

Cairns bar just off argyle street in Glasgow, I'd second the Goose, even as Wetherspoons type pubs go, it's particularly grim!

is that G-town lounge on queen street? if so I'd agree. Nice place, decent location, service and atmosphere were awful.

Dalziel Arms was a great pub, when were you in it? had Sky anytime I was in it and good jukebox and pool table. Was 2 sides to the pub maybe you were through the wrong side.  Its opening back up as old bar strada name that use to be where tony macoronis is now in motherwell.

16 minutes ago, Geed said:

Dalziel Arms was a great pub, when were you in it? had Sky anytime I was in it and good jukebox and pool table. Was 2 sides to the pub maybe you were through the wrong side.  Its opening back up as old bar strada name that use to be where tony macoronis is now in motherwell.

I'd heard it was a good Motherwell pub, that's why I went in there. Must've been 2004ish I was in.

Probably been in worse, just found that one disappointing!

Edited by sbcmfc

17 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I'd heard it was a good Motherwell pub, that's why I went in there. Must've been 2004ish I was in.

Probably been in worse, just found that one disappointing!

Maybe just a bad experience when you went in mate, maybe they had lost sky or that at time but was always one of the decent pubs in motherwell.  The one I hate is the horseshoe bar in motherwell and the war office absolute dives of places.

14 minutes ago, Geed said:

Maybe just a bad experience when you went in mate, maybe they had lost sky or that at time but was always one of the decent pubs in motherwell.  The one I hate is the horseshoe bar in motherwell and the war office absolute dives of places.

Not a great expert on Motherwell boozers. Almost always drive to fir park, and live near enough to Glasgow (or Hamilton) that it wouldn't really make sense to go to Motherwell for a night out.

I like the Electric Bar, been to Jack Daniels a few times to watch TV games and been in the new century a couple of times, all decent enough boozers.

Went to the upstairs bit in the old Motherwell point years ago, wasn't the most welcoming place I've been, and Megabar was much the same as the Hamilton palace, arguably rougher!

40 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Not a great expert on Motherwell boozers. Almost always drive to fir park, and live near enough to Glasgow (or Hamilton) that it wouldn't really make sense to go to Motherwell for a night out.

I like the Electric Bar, been to Jack Daniels a few times to watch TV games and been in the new century a couple of times, all decent enough boozers.

Went to the upstairs bit in the old Motherwell point years ago, wasn't the most welcoming place I've been, and Megabar was much the same as the Hamilton palace, arguably rougher!

Yeah Electric Bar and Jack Daniels are good pubs, been drinking in Jack Daniels since I was 14 21 years ago now lol, use to go to faces nightclub years ago in motherwell and the old motherwell point when it was open, the bit up the stair now is a dive, its called skoosh now, but was a lot nicer 15 years or so ago before pub bit downstair went downhill and eventually closed.