Worst 5 pubs you've been in - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Worst 5 pubs you've been in

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, mariokempes56 said:

Back in 70s we'd walk from queen st to hampden via gorbals.. there was a boozer after few hundreed metres on left in tge gorbals itself, no idea of name, bit quick dram and gtf.  #kin  scary area at dark.

It might have been the Kiloran that I mentioned though that was miles better than the Brazen Head.

3 hours ago, wheres the pies said:

any wheatherspoons  bars utterly depressing places to have a drink 

One is Aberdeen  & Inverurie are quite nice

Although 1 is an ex bank, (Archibald Simpson )  so has high ceilings and art work   ( I had interview there in 87)

& other was an old cinema (used to go there when i was 15)  

14 hours ago, Big Col said:

Oh and The Horseshoe in Glasgow, I think the only pub I've ever been in where the reek of pish from the gents filled the whole bar and nobody seemed to notice. Or maybe they were regulars and immune to it.

Some of my favourite bars reek of pish, ...though that's not what I like about them :unsure:.  They could probably be improved by fitting an Xpelair blowing in the right direction.

Allowing for all Wetherspoons not being up to much, the Foot of the Walk in Leith is a real jakey ridden shitehole. Also made the mistake of going into the Dalmeny Bar on Leith Walk a couple of years back, it was right out of Irvine Welsh, with smashed glass all over the floor, and locals helping themselves to drink as the barmaid had passed out behind the bar. The Tam O'Shanter in Leith is probably just about the worst though, nipped in there a couple of times waiting for the bus, just a complete hole. Too many to mention in Glasgow, and the Port Customs in Stirling deserves a mention too.

I had a quick looky on TripAdvisor there and it seems The Goose is now The Royal Scot. Plenty of recent positive comments so it looks like it might have smartened itself up a bit.

Checked The Horseshoe too, the nick of the bogs seemed to be a common point in the negative comments.

I'll need to retry them both again soon.

36 minutes ago, Big Col said:

I had a quick looky on TripAdvisor there and it seems The Goose is now The Royal Scot. Plenty of recent positive comments so it looks like it might have smartened itself up a bit.

Checked The Horseshoe too, the nick of the bogs seemed to be a common point in the negative comments.

I'll need to retry them both again soon.

Still the same sh1te that drink in the Goose.

43 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Charlie went silent when the board recently 'up'graded. So did Flora but she came back intermittently.   

I get the distinct impression that since the 'upgrade' there are a lot fewer posts and posters on the board.

9 hours ago, Pool Q said:

Allowing for all Wetherspoons not being up to much, the Foot of the Walk in Leith is a real jakey ridden shitehole. Also made the mistake of going into the Dalmeny Bar on Leith Walk a couple of years back, it was right out of Irvine Welsh, with smashed glass all over the floor, and locals helping themselves to drink as the barmaid had passed out behind the bar. The Tam O'Shanter in Leith is probably just about the worst though, nipped in there a couple of times waiting for the bus, just a complete hole. Too many to mention in Glasgow, and the Port Customs in Stirling deserves a mention too.

The Port is a shite hole.

Used to live close a few years back. Five minutes in that bar, the girl got warned she'd get a bottle down the back of her head in the ladies if she touched certain Karaoke songs.

The girl had never sang karaoke in her life. And it wasn't karaoke night.  

11 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Used to live close a few years back. Five minutes in that bar, the girl got warned she'd get a bottle down the back of her head in the ladies if she touched certain Karaoke songs.

:o:lol:

21 hours ago, derekfaejapan said:

Downstairs?

Agree with this, the Horseshoe is a good bar to kill an hour with a paper and a pint. Not been upstairs in over ten years but was once up there with a mate from England who was genuinely stunned at the quality of some of the folk up singing karaoke! Had many a good night in the Horseshoe :ok:

I used to baw the lassie bouncer years ago from there. Vicki was her name. If she had a Saturday night off she'd take me upstairs in there where her and her Maw would sing karaoke. Some voice the lassie had on her!

9 hours ago, Stu101 said:

Any time I'm in Stirling I make a point of having a pint in the port love the olde worlde charm :lol:

On 19 April 2016 at 0:56 PM, derekfaejapan said:

Good call! Completely forgot about Cairns!

Another couple in Glasgow city centre that spring to mind are Annie Millers and The Quarter Gill. I managed to do some Christmas shopping in the Quarter Gill once :lol:

The Quarter Gill, the one on Dumbarton Road ? 

What was the bar at park head that a horse visited one day? I forget if it was the vaults or the tavern. Was a dump anyway. 

And we were enticed into a bar that promised to show us the streaker of tiger woods naked when we went to oasis at murrayfield about 2000sh. 

Very intimidating,blacked out windows and a black woman bent over a tarpaulin clad pool table getting rammed by the biggest dildo I had ever seen. 

We were offered the opportunity to have a go for £10 each,we politely declined. 

Still stayed to watch though,but it was a shithole. 

On 19 April 2016 at 1:05 PM, Fairbairn said:

How long ago was it you were int he Quarter Gill?  While it's by no means a salbrious establishment there are a looooooot worse in Glasgow and there are a few worse within spitting distance of the Quarter Gill ( The Dolphin, The Smiddy and the Vicky Bar springing immediately to mind!)

giphy.gif

I thought they were ok individually but closing time on a Saturday night was funny to watch at times ?

16 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

What was the bar at park head that a horse visited one day? I forget if it was the vaults or the tavern. Was a dump anyway. 

And we were enticed into a bar that promised to show us the streaker of tiger woods naked when we went to oasis at murrayfield about 2000sh. 

Very intimidating,blacked out windows and a black woman bent over a tarpaulin clad pool table getting rammed by the biggest dildo I had ever seen. 

We were offered the opportunity to have a go for £10 each,we politely declined. 

Still stayed to watch though,but it was a shithole. 

Whit?! :lol:

16 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Ahh the charm of the traditional Scottish local pub...