Russia to Vilnius - Lithuania v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Russia to Vilnius

ZoltanBuchan

To break up the monotony of yet another trip to Lithuania, we though we'd fly into either Moscow or St Petersburg, then take the train to Vilnius.  Train prices look pretty reasonable - under £100 for a 1st class ticket from either Russian city :-) but it does look like a Belorussian transit visa will be required. Anyone else had this idea, or even done it before?

• 1 month later...

I am planning to fly into St Petersburg on the Saturday for a few days there.... Then plan to get the over night Lux Express bus to Riga (sets off just after midnight and into Riga for just after 9am.... Something like €35 but the bus includes reclining chairs, wi-fi and refreshments).

couple of days in Riga and then down to Vilnius.

As said above, visa will be expensive (working out about £80.... But it MIGHT be possible to get away with a slightly cheaper transit visa.... Russian consolate in Edinburgh said I could do this, yet embassy in London said not the case).

On 30. 5. 2016 at 3:42 PM, wanderer said:

I am planning to fly into St Petersburg on the Saturday for a few days there.... Then plan to get the over night Lux Express bus to Riga (sets off just after midnight and into Riga for just after 9am.... Something like €35 but the bus includes reclining chairs, wi-fi and refreshments).

couple of days in Riga and then down to Vilnius.

As said above, visa will be expensive (working out about £80.... But it MIGHT be possible to get away with a slightly cheaper transit visa.... Russian consolate in Edinburgh said I could do this, yet embassy in London said not the case).

I think a transit visa is only for genuine transit, where the easiest way would be via Russia. Given you could fly directly to Riga, I doubt you'll get a Russian transit visa for this.

4 minutes ago, wubbs said:

I think a transit visa is only for genuine transit, where the easiest way would be via Russia. Given you could fly directly to Riga, I doubt you'll get a Russian transit visa for this.

Girl at the consolate in Edinburgh said if I fly in and fly out via 2 seperate destinations, I would have 3 days to get out the country (where as if I use another form of transport it will be 20 days) as long as I enter and exit from 2 different border points.... But her response did not convince me and when I spoke to the embassy in London, they said what you said (but again their response did not entirely convince me that they had understood the question), was asking someone I know who goes to Russia a lot and said he would look into it fully for me.

As I am planning to spend 3-4 full days in St Petersburg I would just pay for a full visa.

• 3 weeks later...

pulled this off 1 site 

Transit visas are valid for the maximum of 3 days when travelling by plane and 10 days when travelling by train. YOU DO NOT NEED A TRANSIT VISA if you are travelling via Russia to your final destination and you spend in Russia not more than 24 hours remaining in the transit zone of the same airport.

Their termination is a tad muddy..... I am not even sure the embassy staff (as I mentioned above) as sure themselves.

At the moment it will be Saturday until midnight Monday I will be in St Petersburg, so 3/4 days in Russia, but will be entering by plane and departing by bus.

Guy I spoke with who visits Russis a lot said I could risk my arm (and most likely get away with it.... Probably just get a telling off at the border when departing) but as long as I am in and out in the designated time spaces.