Windows 10 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

My laptop is 'suggesting' I upgrade to Windows 10 on an almost hourly basis at the moment. Anyone had any problems with the instillation? I've heard a few horror stories, although I'm guessing they're in the minority.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, thewelk said:

Is it still a free upgrade? It was supposed to stop being free at some point so might aswell take it while it is. It's an improvement on windows 8. Maybe a bit too different to windows 7 for some of the oldies though.

Still free until the end of June.

14 minutes ago, mariokempes56 said:

There is a way to stop the upgrade "nags" if you wish (I have development tools which will not work on 10 so got pissed off being asked). I can try to find these if anyone needs to.

Are there any advantages to having windows 10?

Will the TAMB still work on windows 10?

I'm with you ZB on the annoyance. I admire Fringo's calmness.   This fekkin' annoyed the paps off me, so automatically have a bias against Win10 (...or Windows 8.2 as it should be known).   I installed it on an old PC to try to give it a go and liked it less.

PC = Personal Computer, they told us, so don't like bing bullied by Microsoft. Free? Upgrade? For goodness sake.

Win10 is spyware. (Have you seen The Lives of Others? --> Windows 10 sucks )

That blogger may be even more paranoid than me, but I followed one of their links... https://voat.co/v/technology/comments/853510 ...and have been running the script that removes and tries to block the Microsoft Stasi's telemetry.   Err, I don't seem to be able to login to msn/hotmail (since lots of others have this problem, I don't know if this was the cause) , but fekk 'em.   The vloat.co script does stop the nags.   Up to you.

I absolutely fkin hate it.  Get a critical error message when I click on the Start button.  Windows offers to fix it next time I logon but doesn't.  Going on to their forums shows thousands of folk with the same issue but for some reason the useless feckers can't fix it.  VERY occasionally I get access to the Start button but it invariably disappears again next time.  I've had to make shortcuts of all my apps and stick them on the desktop which I was trying to keep tidy.

Best avoided IMO until you've no choice unless you're running 8 which is even worse.  Got a backup machine that still runs 7 with not the slightest issue.  Windows wants to upgrade it as well.  Not a fkin chance.

I upgraded and immediately my laptop kept dropping out of our wifi even though the wifi connection was absolutely fine on other household devices. a number of times my la[top then wouldn't pick up on any network connection when trying to re-connect even though there is a choice of half a dozen on other devices plus our own ISP. it is such a pain and still unresolved - I work off line for about 50% of the time I am on the laptop now as a result.

I have W10 on my laptop and my new work computer.  I quite like it although it takes a bit if getting used to.  I find in MS office the navigation to get to files is a it of a chore as you don't seem to be able to create the links to the bits you always want to go to, but that is probably MS office rather than W10.

3 hours ago, Scunnered said:

As the auld yin says, if you're a developer or running a gaming PC avoid Windows 10 at all cost.  If you're on a gaming PC stick with Windows 7.

Baws.

I just "upgraded" from Win 8 to Win 10, is my gaming experience going to be crap now?

2 hours ago, MacWalka said:

Baws.

I just "upgraded" from Win 8 to Win 10, is my gaming experience going to be crap now?

Nah, it's not going to be crap. Windows 10 started off so badly for gaming that it has a bit of a stigma attached to it now, although chances are it's likely improved.

A rather famous gaming YouTuber (not me though) recently destroyed his PC in a video because it auto updated to Windows 10 without his consent... But I'm sure he was playing to the hysteria for views :lol:

Nothing is Free

Especially when they are pestering you forever to upgrade

I read someone saying it's the most intrusive OS ever

Id like to continue accessing questionable websites anonymously thanks

if you do upgrade, make sure you switch off all the tracking and Cortana, otherwise everything gets pinged back to the Microsoft mothership. I'm also just using a local account on my machine rather than using a Microsoft account.

http://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-10-upgrade-spying-how-to-opt-out/

Edited by tartandon