Best 5 pubs you've been in - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best 5 pubs you've been in

3 hours ago, Flora MaDonald said:

I've always maintained England has far superior pubs to ours. If I could remember half the boozers I've been in over the years, I'd be able to contribute properly to this thread :lol:

This is true.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest flumax

Because there are so many I'll pick one each from 5 Scottish cities (sorry Stirling and Perth) 

Halfway house  - Edinburgh 

The grill - Aberdeen 

Blackfriers - Glasgow 

The phoenix - Dundee 

Castle tavern - Inverness 

Allison Arms (Pollokshaws Road, Glasgow): Excellent selection of German Beers and other Craft Beers

Max's Bar (Queen Street, Glasgow): First went into the place in 1996 when it was called the Rock Gardens. The food is decent and it has a good selection of beers on draft (St. Mungo's, Joke IPA, Caesar Augustus)

Butterfly & The Pig (Bath St, Glasgow): Pub isn't brilliant but the food is excellent. Fish the size of small whale and a steak pie the size of the my face. The Southside one is also rather good with a better selection of beer than the City Centre.

The Scotia (Stockwell St, Glasgow): Great live folk music, great bar.

The Elm Tree (Orchard St, Cambridge): Amazing selection of Belgian Beers, the owner goes over and brings back crates of the stuff.

On 22 April 2016 at 1:36 PM, dieselarmy said:

Marble Arch is a great pub. I'd go for:

U Zlateho Tygra (At The Golden Tiger), Prague - probably my favourite pub in the world. No gimmicks, just a place to drink great beer. Great Panenka photo, too.

Malt and Hops, Leith - my local, and I reckon by far and away the best pub at the shore.

Fruh am Dom, Cologne - great city, great beer, great food and an underperforming football team. Cologne has everything that a Scottish football fan wants. Fruh am Dom is so good that I still love the place, despite the fact that the owner is a Rangers fan.

La Venencia, Madrid - a proper old school sherry bar. No tipping or photography is allowed, and they write your order in chalk on the bar. It's like nowhere else I've ever been. Turns out sherry isn't as rank as I thought it would be, either!

Sheffield Tap, Sheffield - I could have gone with any of about 10 pubs in Sheffield, it's the best city for ale I've ever been to. The only problem is that I always have too many Jaipurs and end up in a state.

Interesting that the Bad Pubs thread is so much longer than this one...

Incredible. There are 2 on that list that would be on mine.

I'd add Gaffel am Dom and Lozzerheimer in there too along with Unitecky Pivovar.

Edited by macy37

On 22/04/2016 at 2:36 PM, dieselarmy said:

U Zlateho Tygra (At The Golden Tiger), Prague - probably my favourite pub in the world. No gimmicks, just a place to drink great beer. Great Panenka photo, too.

I'm gong to Prague in May so will take your sound wisdom to heart and attempt to patronise this fine establishment.

On 23/04/2016 at 7:03 AM, hoofitharder said:

This is a really hard one. following a club in Englands non-league I have been to many weird and wonderful little places with some fantastic pubs but i will go with some closer to home. The Jacobs and The Sparrow in Bradford.The Sportsman and The Head of Steam in Huddersfield and The Three Pidgeons  in Halifax.

I've not been in The Sparrow but the other four are all good pubs. The Head of Steam is a bit pricey these days. I like the Sportsman though. I don't know if you remember a pub in Bradford called the Harp of Erin, but that would have walked to the top of any worst 5 ever.

Defining a top 5 is really hard as there are so many variables but here's my top 5 pubs in Scotland based on a mix of good memories, environment & reasonable beer:

• The Glenelg Inn - as beautiful a view from a beer garden as you'll find anywhere.
  • And across on Skye, the Stein Inn.
  • The Sheep Heid Inn - hard to believe how close you are to central Edinburgh.
  • Babbity Bowster, Glasgow - I've stopped there a couple of times lately & really like the place.
  • The Crown at Biggar for no reason other than it was a regular stopping off point for me on my travels for a few years.

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Why do so many people like The Phoenix in Dundee, I absolutely hate that place. The owner is a complete bellend who deserves to be shot.

Good beer, good food, good music. What more do you want? Alan's awright. What did he do to annoy you? Most folk who go to the Pheonix will never see him.

Despite Charlie Endell's issues wi Bill Morton (landlord), the Cockburn was Glasgow's greatest shop for years. The Flying Squad fe HQ in Pitt St met their snouts, ladies of the night frequented prior to their shift and half the insurance world went in on a Friday afternoon. It is now of course some poncy shit-hole. Best boozer I've ever been in.

Edited by Flora MaDonald

5 hours ago, Flora MaDonald said:

Despite Charlie Endell's issues wi Bill Morton (landlord), the Cockburn was Glasgow's greatest shop for years. The Flying Squad fe HQ in Pitt St met their snouts, ladies of the night frequented prior to their shift and half the insurance world went in on a Friday afternoon. It is now of course some poncy shit-hole. Best boozer I've ever been in.

How you doing btw mate ? 

Hope all is well :ok: 

15 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I've not been in The Sparrow but the other four are all good pubs. The Head of Steam is a bit pricey these days. I like the Sportsman though. I don't know if you remember a pub in Bradford called the Harp of Erin, but that would have walked to the top of any worst 5 ever.

Defining a top 5 is really hard as there are so many variables but here's my top 5 pubs in Scotland based on a mix of good memories, environment & reasonable beer:

• The Glenelg Inn - as beautiful a view from a beer garden as you'll find anywhere.
  • And across on Skye, the Stein Inn.
  • The Sheep Heid Inn - hard to believe how close you are to central Edinburgh.
  • Babbity Bowster, Glasgow - I've stopped there a couple of times lately & really like the place.
  • The Crown at Biggar for no reason other than it was a regular stopping off point for me on my travels for a few years.

The harp of Erin is still going. I used to go in quite a lot in the 80's. I was in a wee while ago and they had done it out to try and attract the students it is just full of piss heads after the cheap beer. If your are ever in Bradford you should try the sparrow it is what they now call a beer cafe there are about half a dozen popped up at the top of town.North parade where the sparrow is has been voted in the top 5 streets to go for a drink (by whom i am not sure though )

Ian

20 hours ago, kumnio said:

Alan is a stereotypical 60 odd year old, set in his ways, some incredibly dubious opinions and quite frankly not a nice person. 

From his posts on here, I would have said Alan was a lot younger than 60 and relatively polite.  

Your right about the dubious opinions though. 

22 hours ago, kumnio said:

Alan is a stereotypical 60 odd year old, set in his ways, some incredibly dubious opinions and quite frankly not a nice person. 

That's what happens when you get to your 60s, you'll get there yourself one day.:lol: Actually he's been like that for 30 years that I know of. He might not be the most likeable person, but he runs a good pub.

Used to love the Curlers on Byres Road, til it was converted (destroyed) into some naff Aussie theme pub.

From my current hometown of Paisley I think The Bull deserves a mention. Traditional surroundings and a good selection of beers...

18 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Used to love the Curlers on Byres Road, til it was converted (destroyed) into some naff Aussie theme pub.

From my current hometown of Paisley I think The Bull deserves a mention. Traditional surroundings and a good selection of beers...

Aye it became one of those generic "It's a Scream" pubs but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.  It's since changed back to Curler's Rest (the original name) and is a lot better and more akin to the old Curler's.

As a Linwood boy I spent many a Saturday/Sunday afternoon in The Bull Inn and also Paddy Malarkey's next door.  My favourite pub in Paisley is still The Wee Howff though.

There is a roof top bar in Athens down the flea market, about 5 minutes from Monastiraki Square that was incredible.  Views of the Acropolis and other landmarks as you're sitting getting scooped.

Shebeen in St Pauli, Hamburg is an absolutely mental establishment.  A few wild nights have been had in there.

1 hour ago, BremnerLorimerGray said:

There is a roof top bar in Athens down the flea market, about 5 minutes from Monastiraki Square that was incredible.  Views of the Acropolis and other landmarks as you're sitting getting scooped.

I still find it funny the number of Motherwell fans (from places like bellshill, Wishaw and the likes) that came back from the Panathinaikos game saying Athens was a shithole!

:lol:

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

You've neglected to mention the finest pub in Paisley, if not the world.