Best 5 pubs you've been in - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best 5 pubs you've been in

Not strictly speaking a pub but I used to love the old snooker club at the bottom of Byers Rd in Partick.  It was in the basement of a tenement flat and walking in was like going back about 50 years in time.  Used to go with a mate when we were in our mid 20s and we were easily the youngest in there by about 30 years.  It was dark, smokey and not a little bit smelly but had some right characters frequenting it.  Not to mention the most sullen, surly barman I've ever met who was some how endearing despite his demeanour (we named him Grumplestiltskin).  Everything was a hassle for him including buzzing you in the security door and even serving you a beer.  You'd go up and ask for 2 beers and he'd basically grumble for you to get them yourself so you;d go behind the bar, get the beers and leave the money next to the till!  It was a wee hidden secret because it had a licence till 2am every weekday and 3am at weekends and noone knew it was there so if you wanted a late beer without having to go to a club you just toddled in!  It also had surprisingly a cracking jukebox (given the average clientele) and I must have put hundreds of pounds through that alone over the years.

I've made it sound like a bit of a shithole and I suppose it was but there was something homely about it and (barman aside) we were always made to feel welcome.  It closed down and became PJ Champs which was just shite and soulless and for a while it was heartbreaking seeing these old boys who had been regulars sitting bewildered at the end of the bar with Eminem blaring and students drinking shots out of each others arseholes.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

Hairy bikers on bbc2 doing Glasgow pubs at the mo, if anyone's interested. 

Crap I've been watching this series forgot aboot it the night hope it's on the I player 

On 22 April 2016 at 8:00 AM, AberdeenAngus said:

Phoenix in Dundee

Marble Arch in Manchester 

Diggers in Edinburgh 

All deserve a mention in this thread. 

Lots of great memories of pubs which are no longer around or have changed too much. 

I haven't been to the Phoenix (although perhaps in the dim and distant past...) but your other two are great shouts - you are clearly a man of refinement and taste. 

There were some great stories about Diggers in an earlier incarnation of the TAMB. 

As I type I'm currently having a pint of Manchester Bitter in the Marble Arch - pint of Pint next. It remains a fantastic boozer - new version of the TAMB still sucks though :angry: .

Edited by Charlie Endell

On 26 April 2016 at 10:07 AM, Fairbairn said:

Aye it became one of those generic "It's a Scream" pubs but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.  It's since changed back to Curler's Rest (the original name) and is a lot better and more akin to the old Curler's.

As a Linwood boy I spent many a Saturday/Sunday afternoon in The Bull Inn and also Paddy Malarkey's next door.  My favourite pub in Paisley is still The Wee Howff though.

It was just known as Curlers during its 'It's a Scream' phase.  It's much, much nicer now though and probably my first port of call if I am on Byres Rd.

2 hours ago, Charlie Endell said:

I haven't been to the Phoenix (although perhaps in the dim and distant past...) but your other two are great shouts - you are clearly a man of refinement and taste. 

There were some great stories about Diggers in an earlier incarnation of the TAMB. 

As I type I'm currently having a pint of Manchester Bitter in the Marble Arch - pint of Pint next. It remains a fantastic boozer - new version of the TAMB still sucks though :angry: .

The Diggers was done up a few years back and they totally destroyed it's character IMO.

27 minutes ago, Charlie Endell said:

In no particular order - 

- The aforementioned Marble Arch. 

- The Old Green Tree, Bath. 

- The 'Little' Plough, Donny. 

- The Great Western, Wolves. 

- The Peel Park, Accy. 

how you doing mr endell  no seen you on here for a while thought you maybe had jacked it good to see you back sir l enjoy your posts 

1 hour ago, Flora MaDonald said:

Diggers wants to sort out its patrons. The last time I was in, Lord pishy pants was in (strides not urinated).

If you were relying on a visual inspection, then I think, at best, you could claim that they weren't recently urinated. You would have needed to get close enough for a good sniff to confirm that they hadn't been previously urinated. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that didn't get that close?

On 26 April 2016 at 7:20 AM, Flora MaDonald said:

JS. I don't know how to quote, but all is fantastic. Cheers for asking. Hope you're keeping well. 

All well down here thanks mate.

The main man is soon to be getting an m.o.t and when sorted, we'll be heading up for a weekend. Will let you know in due course. :ok: 

On 29 April 2016 at 0:17 PM, Charlie Endell said:

Should have let us know you were on our manor, could have arranged a proper crawl for you :ok: 

Good to see you back btw.

6 hours ago, jock strap said:

Should have let us know you were on our manor, could have arranged a proper crawl for you :ok: 

Good to see you back btw.

I was down for a 40th pub crawl - kicked off in the MA at noon and I got the train back to Glasgow just before 8pm. No shortage of drinking venues in Manchester. Had a nightcap in the Shoe when I got back to Glasgow - a right comedown. 

I'll drop you a PM next time I'm on the manor :ok: .

Edited by Charlie Endell

40 minutes ago, jimstroma said:

Been in lots of great pubs, but it's difficult to name a top 5 as pubs change all the time.

My favourite 5 in Falkirk are:

Colonial Bar, Behind the Wall, Canalside Inn, Black Bull, Wheatshief.

Just outside Falkirk but the Station Hotel in Larbert is good - a pleasant surprise!

25 minutes ago, Charlie Endell said:

Just outside Falkirk but the Station Hotel in Larbert is good - a pleasant surprise!

Been in lots of great pubs, but it's difficult to name a top 5 as pubs change all the time.

My favourite 5 in Falkirk are:

Colonial Bar, Behind the Wall, Canalside Inn, Black Bull, Wheatshief.

Only been in Station bar a couple of times, opposite end of Town from me. But it has got the best Chinese restaurant I've been in along the road (Tea House)

Is the Drookit Duck in FK1 still on the go? Great wee 

Is the Drookit Duck in FK1 still on the go? Great wee shop.

Naw, it's a cafe now. Had loads of names over the years, last being The Edge. Was a popular pub for away fans going to Brockville, but it was always a bit of a dive.