Playoff System - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, EddardStark said:

No TV coverage of the Raith Rovers v Hibs game tomorrow due to CL restrictions. Scandalous.

Totally agree.  Just show the game.  Screw the CL - after all, it's screwing us

7 hours ago, EddardStark said:

No TV coverage of the Raith Rovers v Hibs game tomorrow due to CL restrictions. Scandalous.

The rules are a farce.

Fair enough its only English non-league but there is a playoff on BT sport at 7pm on Wednesday and last week the youth cup final was on BBC ALBA.

• 11 months later...

Anyone else been keeping tabs on the situation in the Highland League?

Buckie Thistle looked set to be champions and play in the playoff match but Cove Rangers have complained that they have fielded an ineligible player against Formartine on Saturday. The players in question was recalled from a loan spell and was only on the bench, he did not get on the pitch. Buckie say they had permission of the league, there's a meeting on Thursday to discuss.

It would be a spectacular mess if Buckie were docked points and lost the league because of this

Edited by vanderark14

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Anyone else been keeping tabs on the situation in the Highland League?

Buckie Thistle looked set to be champions and play in the playoff match but Cove Rangers have complained that they have fielded an ineligible player against Formartine on Saturday. The players in question was recalled from a loan spell and was only on the bench, he did not get on the pitch. Buckie say they had permission of the league, there's a meeting on Thursday to discuss.

It would be a spectacular mess if Buckie were docked points and lost the league because of this

Yes been keeping a very keen eye on it, but didn't know about the ineligible player situation.

That would be tough on Buckie if they were to lose league on the strength of that, especially after such an amazing season. (seemingly from nowhere too - has someone put money into Buckie?)

Just now, scot scotland scottish said:

Yes been keeping a very keen eye on it, but didn't know about the ineligible player situation.

That would be tough on Buckie if they were to lose league on the strength of that, especially after such an amazing season. (seemingly from nowhere too - has someone put money into Buckie?)

I'm not sure if they have been bank rolled, I hope not as it would be a great GIRUY to the likes of Cove, Brora and Formartine. 

Buckie are confident they had permission of the league so I am hoping they get the go ahead. They still have to beat Strathspey on saturday at home which should be a formality since strathspey are the league whipping boys.

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm not sure if they have been bank rolled, I hope not as it would be a great GIRUY to the likes of Cove, Brora and Formartine. 

Buckie are confident they had permission of the league so I am hoping they get the go ahead. They still have to beat Strathspey on saturday at home which should be a formality since strathspey are the league whipping boys.

Yeah they should win that. Although Cove recently could only draw 0-0 with them - a result that looks like costing them the title.

3 hours ago, scot scotland scottish said:

Yeah they should win that. Although Cove recently could only draw 0-0 with them - a result that looks like costing them the title.

3 hours ago, scot scotland scottish said:

bloody quote system

20 minutes ago, Marky said:

Is it fair to say it doesn't really matter as EK will skelp whoever wins it anyway or is that wide of the mark.

No idea what the outcome would be. 

I'm not sure whether there is a big appetite from certain clubs in the Highland league to go up to  league 2. 

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

No idea what the outcome would be. 

I'm not sure whether there is a big appetite from certain clubs in the Highland league to go up to  league 2. 

Yeah that's true. Also I'm pretty sure there isn't a huge difference between the standard of both leagues, but I just had it in my mind for some reason that EK were a bit of a cut above this season. 

2 hours ago, Marky said:

Yeah that's true. Also I'm pretty sure there isn't a huge difference between the standard of both leagues, but I just had it in my mind for some reason that EK were a bit of a cut above this season. 

I had a look at one of the highland league forums, apparently Buckie were the only or one of the only sides to vote against a pyramid system.

23 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I had a look at one of the highland league forums, apparently Buckie were the only or one of the only sides to vote against a pyramid system.

Me and my mate were in Buckie in 2010 the night Buckie won the Highland League  for the first time in 50 odd years. What a feckin night! We were starting the Speyside Way the next morning and had intended on having a few quiet pints. The game had been in Wick so the fans hit the pub on the square at the back of 8 and chaos ensued. We got tae our beds aboot 3.30. 

The 23 mile walk to Craigellachie the next day was made slightly more challenging as a result. 

Just now, Marky said:

Me and my mate were in Buckie in 2010 the night Buckie won the Highland League  for the first time in 50 odd years. What a feckin night! We were starting the Speyside Way the next morning and had intended on having a few quiet pints. The game had been in Wick so the fans hit the pub on the square at the back of 8 and chaos ensued. We got tae our beds aboot 3.30. 

The 23 mile walk to Craigellachie the next day was made slightly more challenging as a result. 

I can only imagine the party.  Similar to when my side Fraserburgh won the league in 2002, we hadn't won it since the thirties. We won it at Cove Rangers ground too,