Old Firm to Play In England - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Old Firm to Play In England

"I love both clubs"  says Stillitano....of course he does. Nothing to do with coining it in. And Wembley would host our local pub league dominoes final if there was a few bob in it for them. Probably the key quote in all that is this...“I ran the 1994 World Cup at Giants Stadium and we were shown all the various security issues, but America is a different world. We’ve not developed a super player yet, but we know how to put on a show." As per many US sports, the game becomes a convenient sideshow to attach advertising & sell a mountain of merchandise.

The really sad thing though for me is that I've pretty well stopped caring. If all these 'elite' teams want to bugger off & play half way up Mt. Everest because there's money in it, then just bugger off & do it. The longer we pretend we are part of the same sport, the more that sport becomes devalued & disconnected. Leicester (interestingly in the article claimed as one of the top teams in Europe) might be a breath of fresh air for 5 minutes, but they are owned by a billionaire & are already crapping on the fans who followed them to the Cheltenhams, Stockports & Sc--thorpes of this world less than a decade ago.

I'm fairly sure the target audience for this game won't be the travelling support & that they will want to restrict ticket allocations in order to maximise over-priced tourist sales & corporate jollies. Cue a roaring trade in "I was there" split scarves & £10 souvenir programmes.

Edited by Huddersfield
typo & filter correction

2 hours ago, dan cake said:

would it be okay for me to watch this?

would it count as foreign football?

hopefully somebody will come along and form an opinion for me 

How can Ireland v Britain be classed as Scottish football?