SPFA POTY Nominations - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SPFA POTY Nominations

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

If Griffiths had been injured for the last 8 weeks instead of Rooney, Aberdeen would have won the league. 

Brilliant.:lol:

Just mentioned on Sportscene, Griffiths and Tierney got awards. Rangers Gov got manager.

37 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Mark Warburton got manager of the year, is this some sort of joke?

Has any other manager ever won it for winning the championship and challenge cup? 

8 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Has any other manager ever won it for winning the championship and challenge cup? 

With the 2nd biggest budget in the country.

:lol:

He does seem to be a decent manager, especially compared to his predecessors, but not sure his "achievements" merit the award.

9 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

With the 2nd biggest budget in the country.

:lol:

He does seem to be a decent manager, especially compared to his predecessors, but not sure his "achievements" merit the award.

As ever, these things are handed out far too early.

What happens if Hibs win the cup and get promotion ? Or if Rath Rovers make it to the Premiership ? Or if Aberdeen win the league ?

That'll make the choice of Warburton look a bit daft.

Very rarely the manager of the year goes to an actual deserving candidate. It's normally to the manager of whoever wins the top leave who usually have by far the biggest budget in the country. It's good to see the lower leagues get recognition. 

Mark McGhee taking Motherwell from 11th and looking over our shoulders at Dundee United to 4th and a brief flirtation with European qualification.

If Rangers won the Scottish cup as well, it would make a good case for warburton.

Then I also don't just think it should just be about who wins things...

36 minutes ago, Rossy said:

What happens if Hibs win the cup and get promotion ? Or if Rath Rovers make it to the Premiership ? Or if Aberdeen win the league ?

Agreed. Why not await another couple of weeks? No benefit in doing it now.

That said, Warburtons been great this season- especially considering how little time he had to put that team together, and undo the previous damage.

Edited by Stu101

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Mark Warburton got manager of the year, is this some sort of joke?

Nobody from Celtic was nominated so the non Rangers fan vote was split between the other 3.

The converse also meant Griffiths and Tierney were at an advantage in the other catagories...

19 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Nobody from Celtic was nominated so the non Rangers fan vote was split between the other 3.

The converse also meant Griffiths and Tierney were at an advantage in the other catagories...

So what you're saying is a large number of managers are Rangers fans before being professional? 

Sorry. Think you're talking keech.

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

Have to agree. Warburton is undoubtedly in the frame, but like you say, there are a lot of variables that can still occur, that would probably influence the final outcome. 

Still, well done to him anyway. 

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

So what you're saying is a large number of managers are Rangers fans before being professional?

Sorry. Think you're talking keech.

I may well be but it's a fairly well established tradition that a lot of the members vote for the nominee from their favourite club...

2 hours ago, deecie said:

SNA179011-280_910253a.jpg

So if you played for the Old Firm you WILL vote for that team? You really believe this?

I think you are projecting what you'd do onto these managers.

Jim Duffy is a Celtic supporter. Who do you think he voted for?

1 hour ago, theweestevie said:

Here is the list of previous winners if anyone is interested. I think people may be surprised when they read the list based on some of the comments on here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PFA_Scotland_Manager_of_the_Year

4 out of 10 before this year were Old Firm. Kind of proves that the managers pick based on performance and not tenuous club allegiances. 

4 hours ago, Rossy said:

I think you've got a valid point here.

It could still be a great season for Hibs although I can't see Aberdeen winning the league now mate, sorry! ? 

11 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

So if you played for the Old Firm you WILL vote for that team? You really believe this?

I think you are projecting what you'd do onto these managers.

Jim Duffy is a Celtic supporter. Who do you think he voted for?

Ronny

1 hour ago, deecie said:

Ronny

:lol::lol:

I've listened to Jim quite a few times on Clyde and I like him. He obviously knows his stuff and is diplomatic when criticising. There's no way he voted for Ronnie. I'd say he was more likely to have voted for Warburton or Stubbs. 

23 hours ago, Rossy said:

I just don't get why they do this so early!