Mid(ish)-life career change - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mid(ish)-life career change

7 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Snap ! 18 shifts to go and then I'm on the same road as you. Can't apply until September, but need to have my volunteering experience under my belt anyway or they would tell me to go away and get the volunteering and experience done and come back next year, but like yourself, I don't really have too many years to waste - I will just have turned 50 at the start of the Postgrad course next year !

How is it going for you just now ? I've got volunteer placements lined up a couple of mornings at our local primary and at the playgroup my kids went to - even better I've got an actual job for 12 hours a week at the after-school club ! I only asked if they would take me as a volunteer :lol:

Sorry to hear about the redundancy mate but definitely a good choice of alternative. I'm loving it. I don't officially start formal training until September but have been doing a couple of days a week in a local village school & having a great time. Because it's small I've had the opportunity to work across all age groups. I really enjoy the lower junior age (in England that's age 7/8; Years 3 & 4). I've landed lucky anyway that I've got a Year 3 class for my training year. It's in one of Huddersfield's most deprived primary schools with most kids on free meals & English as an additional language. I'm happy with that though but like you lurch from massive positivity to total panic.

If you want to swap notes anyway drop me a PM...I've started doing some initial reading around theory. child development, etc...I even understand a paragraph every so often.

Good luck anyway!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, so, I'm not quite "mid(ish) life" at 33, but I'm definitely in need of a career change.

As some will remember, about 13 months ago or so, having been looking for a job change for some years, I finally got an opportunity I was a bit wary of. In the end, I felt I had to take it.

Well, it's safe to say that all of my fears/hesitations over accepting it have proved to be founded, and the things that attracted me to the role haven't materialised. With the job market in Aberdeen dead, there's nowhere really to turn either. 

The only Accounting roles which crop up, I seem to be prohibited from applying for due to a lack of specific, professional practice, experience.

I don't envisage this changing any time soon, and the longer this drags on, I feel as if I'm losing the skills I do actually have.

So, I've reached a point where I think I probably have to start over with something else, but I'm really not sure where.

Given the serious teacher shortage up here, that might be a good route to look at, however, I literally can't afford to quit my full-time job, from what I can see, there's actually decent funding available to train in England, but it appears as if there is virtually nothing in Scotland...

Anyone able to advise/point me in the right direction?

2 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Right, so, I'm not quite "mid(ish) life" at 33, but I'm definitely in need of a career change.

As some will remember, about 13 months ago or so, having been looking for a job change for some years, I finally got an opportunity I was a bit wary of. In the end, I felt I had to take it.

Well, it's safe to say that all of my fears/hesitations over accepting it have proved to be founded, and the things that attracted me to the role haven't materialised. With the job market in Aberdeen dead, there's nowhere really to turn either. 

The only Accounting roles which crop up, I seem to be prohibited from applying for due to a lack of specific, professional practice, experience.

I don't envisage this changing any time soon, and the longer this drags on, I feel as if I'm losing the skills I do actually have.

So, I've reached a point where I think I probably have to start over with something else, but I'm really not sure where.

Given the serious teacher shortage up here, that might be a good route to look at, however, I literally can't afford to quit my full-time job, from what I can see, there's actually decent funding available to train in England, but it appears as if there is virtually nothing in Scotland...

I thought there was funding in Aberdeen for teacher training 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-36516408

https://www.energyvoice.com/oilandgas/north-sea/101892/oil-and-gas-workers-could-tackle-teacher-shortage/

1 hour ago, euan2020 said:

Seeing as I'm not in O&G, I didn't have a look at that.

I'm also not being made redundant either...

2 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Do you really want to be a teacher ? Genuine question.

It is looking the best/most appealing option that might be open to me.

However, it's a big concern that I literally wouldn't be able to afford to quit my current job that I really don't like to train full time... 

The first hurdle - where I am at - is gaining time working with children. I first started thinking about it after doing 'duty parent' shifts at playgroup. What are your hours, could you volunteer at after school club or at weekends, or even a breakfast club ? Would you be looking at postgrad one year course or could you find out if there is a route via evening classes ? Certainly my understanding of the postgrad is that without relevant experience working with children they won't even interview you.

2 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

The first hurdle - where I am at - is gaining time working with children. I first started thinking about it after doing 'duty parent' shifts at playgroup. What are your hours, could you volunteer at after school club or at weekends, or even a breakfast club ? Would you be looking at postgrad one year course or could you find out if there is a route via evening classes ? Certainly my understanding of the postgrad is that without relevant experience working with children they won't even interview you.

Getting into schools (at least this was my experience) is very difficult. I contacted several schools before I finally got lucky but I was getting worried. In my interview they wanted me to be able to talk about my observations in classrooms though so breakfast clubs, whilst useful, might need bolstering (again purely on my experience). My entrance requirements were minimum 2:1 degree & minimum 10 days experience in primary school (although I was accepted provisionally as I had less at the time, conditional that I gained it). I started doing a day a week (agreed by my ex-employer as part of my redundancy) then added a day once unemployed (with younger classes). The school have been brilliant though & I've been able to help with trips, musicals & other extra-curricular stuff as well as in school.

Hopefully if you get into a classroom you'll get a lot of opportunity to do 1:1 & small group work which starts to get you used to some of the teaching methods used. Also, if you aren't already aware, here anyway nursery & reception classes are very different environments to Year 2 upwards. Lessons are much more built around play and choice at that stage rather than structured lessons so if you can find a way into older groups then I'd have a go. Having said that any experience working with children will be a bonus for you.

My route is the SCITT one (School Centred Initial Teacher Training) but there are others. If you register with the DfES (Edit...should that be Education Scotland?) you get invites to recruitment events. There's the Teach in Scotland website as well.

Edited by Huddersfield

11 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

The funding isn't fantastic unless you can teach high school Maths or Physics & get a £30K bursary. I'll get a £3K bursary plus student loan (plus my redundancy money) to keep me going until I get a job.

12 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Fire Service are due to open up applications very soon. Every area in the Country is short just now including up your way due to the amount of guys lost to the oil industry. 

No reason why you couldn't continue with the accounting as well, given the time off you get. 

I must have got lucky ! The deputy head at the primary where my wee boy has attended nursery and is going into p1, has been very encouraging and is going to rotate me through all the age groups. I will have a morning at playgroup and 12 hours paid at after school and breakfast club. Trying to get my head around GIRFEC, GTC, disclosure, curriculum for excellence etc etc. Looks like I will have my pt money and tax/child credits to live on, with redundancy money to keep paying the bills. Do you lose child tax credits if you have a bursary or student loan ?

59 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

The funding isn't fantastic unless you can teach high school Maths or Physics & get a £30K bursary. I'll get a £3K bursary plus student loan (plus my redundancy money) to keep me going until I get a job.

Fantastic news!

20 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

I probably should have listened a bit more in the Maths & Science lessons though.

I've not checked, but surely being a Charted Engineer will be sufficient to teach these.

32 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I must have got lucky ! The deputy head at the primary where my wee boy has attended nursery and is going into p1, has been very encouraging and is going to rotate me through all the age groups. I will have a morning at playgroup and 12 hours paid at after school and breakfast club. Trying to get my head around GIRFEC, GTC, disclosure, curriculum for excellence etc etc. Looks like I will have my pt money and tax/child credits to live on, with redundancy money to keep paying the bills. Do you lose child tax credits if you have a bursary or student loan ?

I'm not an expert but as far as I know none of them affect tax credits. The curriculum stuff does scare me a lot. I went to an induction conference last week & got 3 assessment books; one each for English, Maths & Science & it's remarkable how much there is in it. I thought my general knowledge was OK but there's plenty of gaps. I've been trying to get my head around graphemes & phonemes of late!

I was made redundant in May 2015 after 20 years in a relatively well paid job. I should have taken time out to think about what I really wanted to do. However within six weeks I was straight into another job. I am seriously considering leaving. After 50 you really need to think about work /life balance. I am not thinking career change, I am thinking a basic 9 to 5 where or even part time where I can  can clearly separate work and home life.

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

After 50 you really need to think about work /life balance. I am not thinking career change, I am thinking a basic 9 to 5 where I can  can clearly separate work and home life.

Correct and i'm only 29. I'm seriously considering looking for a lower paid job with less onerous hours. 

On 5 July 2016 at 9:02 AM, Cove_Sheep said:

On Moray Firth Radio yesterday they were talking about Moray (admittedly a wee bit north of Aberdeen) were going to be accepting teachers who were doing there training online. The school authority said this was best as it would allow those who couldn't afford to leave their current jobs to do the training while they still worked.

On 6 July 2016 at 7:11 AM, EddardStark said:

I was made redundant in May 2015 after 20 years in a relatively well paid job. I should have taken time out to think about what I really wanted to do. However within six weeks I was straight into another job. I am seriously considering leaving. After 50 you really need to think about work /life balance. I am not thinking career change, I am thinking a basic 9 to 5 where or even part time where I can  can clearly separate work and home life.

I would say work/life balance is important at any age. I'm 27 and have a decent job. Got made redundant days after the Germany home game and landed on my feet with a better job than I originally had 6weeks later. 

Every day I aim to leave the office at 5 and leave all my thoughts of work in the office. Been in a similar role where I've been awake at nights thinking/worrying about things. That's not the way to be IMO. 

Too many people have a complete imbalance in the UK. 

Both my parents retired a year early from teaching due to the shitness of it nowadays. Kids are generally wee dicks and lack discipline. Youre also not really allowed to discipline them now. that good luck

On 7/5/2016 at 9:06 PM, Angus_Young said:

Fire Service are due to open up applications very soon. Every area in the Country is short just now including up your way due to the amount of guys lost to the oil industry. 

No reason why you couldn't continue with the accounting as well, given the time off you get. 

In the next couple of years in the fire service there will be mass retirements to due the large amount of recruits taken on in the 80's due to a move to the 4 watch system, its possible a new shift system will be implemented to ease the shortage but will still need massive recruitment.

Next recruitment is in next couple of months,did I mention I have only 6 shifts to do....:) 

I dont if anyones employer offer them the chance to buy extra holidays but if they do it is well worth considering. My employers are now offering this and i bought 10 days this year. It starts at the beginnning of the tax year and the cost is spread over 12 months. I honestly hardly noticed the difference in my april salary from march salary due to an increase in the personal allowance and my tax being less as i was earning less. 

I have a huge amount of respect for anyone changing careers . A few years ago my mum collapsed suddenly and was in hospital for over 2 months , a fulll month of that  in intensive care. Never thought she would pull through but she did , I know this sounds like a cliche but I felt so indebted to the nurses,  they were truly fantastic. I work in the finance industry and I felt my job was complete and utter shit. It helps no-one. I could have done something about my career at that point but I never , i just stayed with the money. I am still in a job that provides very little satisfaction. 

So good luck to all of you that have , or are considering , a change. Dont be stuck in a job you hate for 40 years.